Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Features "Scheduled Departure" & "Automatic Navigation" Coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
From release notes:

Scheduled Departure
It’s now easier to have your car comfortable and ready to drive with Scheduled Departure. For any location (e.g. Home), pug in your car and select a time for when you want your car to be ready to drive. nce your specified time is set, the car will schedule charging to complete before peak electricity rates begin (6AM) to reduce energy costs and ensure consistent regenerative braking and performance. it also automatically starts climate control so the cabin is comfortable at the set departure time.

Automatic Navigation
Automatic Navigation starts a route to a likely destination when you get in your car. Automatic Navigation routes you to locations associated with upcoming calendar events, to Work when leaving Home in the morning (Monday through Friday) and Home when leaving Work in the afternoon or evening (Monday through Friday).

To adjust Automatic Navigation, tap Controls > Navigation > Automatic Navigation. To set your work and home addresses, tap Navigate ten tap Home or Work and enter the address as necessary, then tap Save.
Tesla releases update with more power, automatic navigation, and more - Electrek

I am really liking these features. Can't wait to get them.

"Automatic Navigation" seems to be related to the FSD feature that was mentioned on the old FSD website where your car could automatically take you somewhere based on your calendar event.

• Helpful
Reactions: V1VrV2
Any idea what version will these features be in and when will it be released?

No. The article says "has released" which implies it is already out. But the only updates on Teslafi that it could be are 2019.32.12.3 and .4 but I don't have either update yet. .3 seems to be going pretty wide (over 1000 cars) .4 has just gone out to only 21 cars so far.

It might be early access right now and will go wide on the next number update, like 2019.36 for example.

From release notes:

Automatic Navigation
Automatic Navigation starts a route to a likely destination when you get in your car. Automatic Navigation routes you to locations associated with upcoming calendar events, to Work when leaving Home in the morning (Monday through Friday) and Home when leaving Work in the afternoon or evening (Monday through Friday).

To adjust Automatic Navigation, tap Controls > Navigation > Automatic Navigation. To set your work and home addresses, tap Navigate ten tap Home or Work and enter the address as necessary, then tap Save.
Tesla releases update with more power, automatic navigation, and more - Electrek

I hope the "work" days are customizable for those who work on the weekends. I work a schedule with Friday and Saturdays off for example. Don't depress me Tesla on a Friday morning when I get in my car and you're telling me to go to work! :eek:

Reactions: pow216
Hopefully the peak time is adjustable. Off-peak rates end at 7 for me. Even then, not everybody plans departures times around peak rate hours. That is, having HVAC running at "departure" time could result in it running for a few hours by the time the driver actually leaves home.

Reactions: pow216
I hope the "work" days are customizable for those who work on the weekends. I work a schedule with Friday and Saturdays off for example. Don't depress me Tesla on a Friday morning when I get in my car and you're telling me to go to work! :eek:

It’s nuts how many devices and pieces of software I’ve used that are hardcoded to a 5 day M-F work week.

Works great for me, being off Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

From release notes:

Scheduled Departure
It’s now easier to have your car comfortable and ready to drive with Scheduled Departure. For any location (e.g. Home), pug in your car and select a time for when you want your car to be ready to drive. nce your specified time is set, the car will schedule charging to complete before peak electricity rates begin (6AM) to reduce energy costs and ensure consistent regenerative braking and performance. it also automatically starts climate control so the cabin is comfortable at the set departure time.

Automatic Navigation

"Automatic Navigation" seems to be related to the FSD feature that was mentioned on the old FSD website where your car could automatically take you somewhere based on your calendar event.

Both my model S and X just updated to 2019.32.12.7 and none of these features were added to either vehicle. Bummer. I was looking forward to receiving both. Release notes were blank.

Can some one test Schedule Departure with Time of use please .. let say you live in a country which has Time of use electricity rates starting 7AM. If you put Schedule Departure at 8.30AM, Will the charge stop at 7AM or 8.30AM ( I want 8.30AM and dont care paying higher rates for that 1.5hrs )

Please if any one can check ..

Installed 2019.36.2.1 on Saturday. I'm confused by this new feature... The interface is a bit strange and the app reporting doesn't match the car setting.

Prior to the update, we had scheduled charging set for 11pm. My off peak starts at 7pm, but figure I'll be nice to the power company.

Went to the departure tab, set departure to 4:30am. Yup, 4:30am sucks, but it is what it is...

Plugged in the car yesterday and it said "scheduled charge starting at 11pm". Then, at 11pm it started charging and said charging would take 4 hours (so finish at 3am).

I then changed the time in the departure tab and this display changed to departure at 4:30am. The app was still reporting start charging at 11pm.

Is it somehow trying to use both start and departure? Or does it use whichever it is set on? I'd prefer it use both but if it were to use both it isn't clear how I would tell it not to use both.

Interesting. The interface I have (M3LR) seems to let me specify one or the other, not both. Perhaps it got a bit confused because it was already using the old style of scheduling (start charging at) when you changed to the new style (departure at). I would try turning scheduling off completely, let the app update (maybe leave the car), then go back in and select departure charging.

I experienced a different quirk over the weekend. I needed to go out late at night, so I set my departure charging to 9:00PM at around 75%. It worked great. I returned home around 3:30AM with only about 10% remaining. I manually set the charge limit to 60%, plugged in (at 7kW), it started charging immediately, and I went to bed. I forgot that I had departure scheduling set up. I woke up the next morning around 10AM and checked the car. It was around 40% charged and said that it was set to begin charging at 6:25PM for my next 9:00PM departure. I checked TeslaFi, and the car stopped charging at 6:25AM.

So, through this one experience, it appeared to activate scheduled charging (stop demand charging) 12 hours before the scheduled charging start time, even if you're in the middle of an unscheduled charge. I'm not sure if the "6AM peak rate" came into the decision to stop the charge, since it stopped at 6:25AM, not 6AM. The 6:25AM to 6:25PM correlation seems pretty high to me. Thoughts?

I didn't notice the scheduled departure time in the Android app. I only noticed the charge start time (6:25PM in this case).

I suppose you could try a reboot. Another idea may be that it is being a bit conservative. It probably calculates 4 hours, but actually schedules to allow 5 1/2 hours to be conservative, in case the battery needs to be warmed, etc. I would recommend changing the end charge limit or departure time to see if that 11PM start time changes at all. You could change the departure time to 6AM or lower your charge limit so that it only takes 2 hours to get to the limit. Hopefully, you'll notice that the start time closer to 1AM or 2AM.

From release notes:

Scheduled Departure

Automatic Navigation

Just received 36.2.2 on my 2018 model S and sorry to advise that the one pedal feature is absent.
The other new features are available but not sure they will benefit me personally.
Just a bit disappointed as one pedal driving would be pretty cool.