Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Headlight Installed, maybe weird calibration?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My '21 Model 3's passenger headlight was intermittently going out. Service tech couldn't see anything especially wrong, so to be safe they replaced the headlight in full. Since, I've noticed the passenger headlight appears much higher, or maybe bigger overall than the driver side. Is this normal, and I just never noticed before? Or perhaps something changed since I initially bought the car last year? Or I need to calibrate?

If I enter the calibration screen it moves the headlights and then gives me a line for each headlight. The passenger one is definitely higher than the driver, but I'm not sure which would be 'correct', so I haven't touched anything on this screen. When not in the calibration screen, there does appear to be a generally straight 'line' of light, but the passenger side has another light above, so it is lighting more 'up/down' than the driver side.

attached are a couple pictures of the lights on 'normally' and when in the 'calibration' screen. I've not touched any of the calibration settings, and these pictures were taken in a seemingly flat, level garage. Every time I pull into the garage and the lights turn on it bothers me, but I have no idea if it's just me, if it's normal, etc. Anyone with a recent model 3 want to look at their lights in the garage and compare for me, or give me some peace of mind?

PXL_20220905_192044792.jpg
PXL_20220905_192109654.jpg

replying with a few images and gif (hopefully) to show the headlights, especially the weird top-right portion of the passenger light, in practice. The first image should be in my neighborhood, where you can see visibility is pretty good and overall coverage is fine from the 'main' headlights, then there is an extra bright strip of light coming from my passenger headlight high above everything else. After that should be an image of me on the highway, potentially blinding a truck that I'm passing as the extra high, extra bright light hits the side of their truck and their mirror.
finally should be a gif of me going under a bridge so you can clearly see the light on the top of the bridge as I pass under. Across all 3 you can see that generally, the visibility is fine. So it's not like the headlight is too high, but it's just so much bigger than the driver's side, and with a weird gap in the middle. Turning on my brights Does increase size/brightness, so it can still get cranked up to 11 from here. It's almost as though the DRL above the headlight is just maxed out, but I truly don't think that's it. Maybe it's for lighting up signs overhead or something while being cautious not to blind oncoming cars? Anyone with a recently built Model 3 or Y see similar patterns on their headlights?

neighbors.png
blindtruck.png

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif

scheduled a mobile service appointment, although first available was a couple weeks out. Decided to take a look at the actual headlights today, the bright upper beam comes directly from the round matrix 'bulb' on the edge, then the normal-height light comes from the mirrors/main part of the headlight. On the driver side it's a similar situation, where a bright light coming from the outside bulb is above the 'main' light, but the transition between the two is seamless on the driver side and both are at a normal height. Not sure if it can be fixed with calibration or needs replaced again, but I tried the calibration menu and wasn't able to make things any better so I guess I'm out of ideas.

passengerlight.gif
driverlight.gif

• Informative
Reactions: KenC