Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't save headlight position/calibrate after 2023.38.6/8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

TM3 2019 LR here.
After updating to 2023.38.6, the headlight position isn't saved when I try to calibrate them.

I set them as I want (they move without any issue, up/down/left/right), but then once I exit the calibration the left one goes all the way down and the right one all the way up.

I tried the calibration quite a few time, but always the same issue.

The previous firmware didn't have this issue, I was able to properly move them and save the position.

Anyone else with this issue? Unfortunately driving in the winter here at night (so most of my driving in fact) is either dangerous or blinding other drivers. I have an appointment with a Ranger tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty sure he won't be able to do anything as I'm fairly certain it's FW related :/
Another user on a French forum has the same issue (2019 TM3 LR as well), and his Ranger couldn't help, he set an appointment to a service center suggesting a change of headlight. It doesn't make sense to me, that would mean that both headlights would be "broken" at the exact same time...

Does anyone know if the calibration sensor/level is unique to each headlight of if they share the info from a single sensor. If it's a single sensor maybe this make a bit more sense (even though I'm still pretty sure it's a FW issue).

Capture d’écran 2023-11-20 à 19.33.12.png

I'm having a headlight calibration issue on my 2019 Model 3 AWD LR since 2023.38.6. My headlights move to the top limit, then I try to adjust them down, then when I exit the calibration they go back up to the top limit. This is extremely annoying, and I've tried everything to trick it lower, but nothing works.

So I add an intervention with Mobile Service/Telsa Ranger this morning which couldn't solve the issue, first time he sees this.
Now trying to get an appointment with a Service Center so they can get more data from the car sensors and open a ticket with Telsa.
So far the only people with this issue are 2019 TM3 LR owners (maybe just a coincidence) so it's not a huge bunch of users that will escalate the bug. I'm 100% certain it's software :(

Does anyone know if the calibration sensor/level is unique to each headlight of if they share the info from a single sensor. If it's a single sensor maybe this make a bit more sense (even though I'm still pretty sure it's a FW issue).
There are 2 sensors, one at the front and one at the rear, attached to suspension arms so a difference in left & right headlight position can only be a software issue assuming the motors in the lights are working.

On a tangentially related note, even before this issue, I noticed that whenever I parked on an incline (on a ramp) and opened/closed the door (ie. exit the vehicle and close the door) the headlight levels would change slightly. Park on different inclines enough times, the left and right headlight levels would slowly get out of sync and one side will become higher than the other. I've lost all hope of that being fixed.

Before this current issue, I would just initiate the headlight adjustment and it'll auto level them back to normal (both sides level with each other), now it sounds like I can't even do that.

On a tangentially related note, even before this issue, I noticed that whenever I parked on an incline (on a ramp) and opened/closed the door (ie. exit the vehicle and close the door) the headlight levels would change slightly. Park on different inclines enough times, the left and right headlight levels would slowly get out of sync and one side will become higher than the other. I've lost all hope of that being fixed.

Before this current issue, I would just initiate the headlight adjustment and it'll auto level them back to normal (both sides level with each other), now it sounds like I can't even do that.
Take a look at this thread: Driver side headlight gets lower and lower
Is that what's happening with you?
BTW I agree the driver's side should be lower and mine ends up that way even after I calibrate them to be the same level. If it's not lower than the other side oncoming drivers will be affected or if they are both lowered, pedestrians won't be illuminated well
The whole headlight calibration thing has been a bit of a mystery since the Model 3 was released. The calibration does seem to go out after a while for no good reason I've been able to find.

IMO the way they did it with the earlier models (using a front & rear sensor attached to suspension arms) had some issues. Later cars and did away with these sensors and now use a pitch sensor inside the car and I don't see so many complaints with post-'21 models, so I think that works better.
U.S. cars didn't have the headlight leveliing sensors fitted because it's not a legal requirement there, so I don't think there have been as many complaints from U.S. owners, which is why I think @PullTab has an issue related to software or maybe the light units themselves.

Is that what's happening with you?
Haha yes it is, that’s my post =D

I certainly agree that the calibration seems to go out and that’s what I’m mostly interested about.

The headlight leveling issue being discussed here was one easy way for me to bring them back to ‘factory’ levels. I simply entering into headlight adjustment mode, let it auto level and then exit the mode.

Since seeing this thread I’m now too afraid to enter the headlight adjustment mode in fear that it’ll completely ruin the calibration.

Oh yes, I didn't notice your post at the end!
I've done a fair bit of levelling testing because i have aftermarket suspension arms which required making up custom brackets in order to attach the sensors.
It still seems to randomly go out of calibration but it's not clear to me (yet) at what point the software decides to adjust the calibrated levels.
If it does that when the car's stationary that could be an issue if the car is regularly parked on an unlevel suface.
If it's during a drive, it might take an average over time, but even then if you're not driving on a level, straight road that could also cause issues.
I am now regularly checking my alignment against some marks I've put on my garage wall, so maybe eventually I'll figure it out.

Reactions: dasn
I am now regularly checking my alignment against some marks I've put on my garage wall, so maybe eventually I'll figure it out.
Please do report back with your findings.

It took me a month of testing to notice that my lights kept changing their levels when I parked and open/closed the door and then a further month to notice that it was that behaviour that seemed to be causing them to drift apart from each other.

So I add an intervention with Mobile Service/Telsa Ranger this morning which couldn't solve the issue, first time he sees this.
Now trying to get an appointment with a Service Center so they can get more data from the car sensors and open a ticket with Telsa.
So far the only people with this issue are 2019 TM3 LR owners (maybe just a coincidence) so it's not a huge bunch of users that will escalate the bug. I'm 100% certain it's software :(
I’m having this same issue with my 2021 MY LR. Headlights recalibrate themselves to the highest possible setting. No matter how many times I attempt to adjust them, they revert back to the highest possible angle, blinding all incoming traffic. I can’t even drive at night now without switching to parking lights and turning on my fog lights.

Put in a service ticket. We’ll see if they can fix the issue. Began with FW38.6 and is still present with FW44.1. Never had the issue before FW38.6. I’ll keep you posted if they resolve the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpeg
    IMG_0351.jpeg
    381.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Informative
Reactions: dasn