Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't save headlight position/calibrate after 2023.38.6/8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@EvoL

For now you can use the trick to put the car in Drive just after calibration, once the headlights go down and then up (at least that's what's happening with my car). Once they are close to the lowest position, put the car in Drive, that should lock the position.
Unfortunately that doesn't save the position once the car goes into sleep. Leaving the car into Sentry mode doesn't help in my case, but at least you have a way to set the headlights down (lowest position in fact, which is pretty bad if you drive in places with no lights at all, but at least you're not blinding other drivers).

I had a appointment with my Service Center for tomorrow Monday 12/4, but they called me 2 days ago to tell me they are cancelling it as they have other users with the same issue, so they'll do a remote diagnosis (no idea how this is done).

That's at least good news, if they are aware of the issue and possibly bringing this to Tesla HQ to have this fixed quickly n a following update.

• Informative
Reactions: dasn
@EvoL

For now you can use the trick to put the car in Drive just after calibration, once the headlights go down and then up (at least that's what's happening with my car). Once they are close to the lowest position, put the car in Drive, that should lock the position.
Unfortunately that doesn't save the position once the car goes into sleep. Leaving the car into Sentry mode doesn't help in my case, but at least you have a way to set the headlights down (lowest position in fact, which is pretty bad if you drive in places with no lights at all, but at least you're not blinding other drivers).

I had a appointment with my Service Center for tomorrow Monday 12/4, but they called me 2 days ago to tell me they are cancelling it as they have other users with the same issue, so they'll do a remote diagnosis (no idea how this is done).

That's at least good news, if they are aware of the issue and possibly bringing this to Tesla HQ to have this fixed quickly n a following update.
Thank you, axeld! I’ll give this a try. Luckily I don’t see myself having to drive it at night between now and my appointment on 12/5. However, if they cancelled yours, they’ll probably cancel mine as well. This makes me a little hesitant on future updates, although this is the only firmware issue since our first Tesla in 2019.

Thank you, axeld! I’ll give this a try. Luckily I don’t see myself having to drive it at night between now and my appointment on 12/5. However, if they cancelled yours, they’ll probably cancel mine as well. This makes me a little hesitant on future updates, although this is the only firmware issue since our first Tesla in 2019.
They ended up changing my appointment to bring it into the service center. They mentioned having to run diagnostics, which apparently is something they only do at the service center. I'm going to drop it off this evening, appointment is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Hopefully they'll have some answer to the issue later tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: dasn
@EvoL

Thank you Axeld! That trick works great. I noticed that I have to lower the headlights with the scroll wheel, then when they start coming back up, they'll stay. If I just accept the calibration without lowering them, then they go all the way back up to the top.

Reactions: EvoL
Just got my Model Y back from service. Looks like they did a full wipe and reinstall of the firmware. Had to reprogram all my settings, profile, home link, etc. But good news! Headlights work as they should. Not an optimal solution but at least they fixed the problem and got the MY back to me in 24hrs. No charge.

First time posting so hi. I found this thread when googling an issue where I couldn't calibrate my headlights, I have been able to do this in the past though.

I have a model 3 perfomance 2019 plate.

I looked on the service menus and found an error as pictured.

VCLEFT_a326_hghtSnsrUnplgdRL

So seeing that info on the error, I looked in the wheel arch and found the sensor plugged in looking normal.

I unplugged it and it was dry and squeecky clean, I also sprayed contact cleaner and cotton bud on pins to give it best chance. But no luck.

I can't seem to find any other people with this online but curious if anyone here could check theirs too?

Thanks either way.

Jordan

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20231211-235909.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231211-235909.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20231211_202504.jpg
    20231211_202504.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 35
First time posting so hi. I found this thread when googling an issue where I couldn't calibrate my headlights, I have been able to do this in the past though.

So seeing that info on the error, I looked in the wheel arch and found the sensor plugged in looking normal.

I unplugged it and it was dry and squeecky clean, I also sprayed contact cleaner and cotton bud on pins to give it best chance. But no luck.

I can't seem to find any other people with this online but curious if anyone here could check theirs too?

Thanks either way.

Jordan
That's certainly worth checking. When the sensors are unplugged the headlights default to the fully lowered position, so if there's a failure at least it doesn't dazzle oncoming traffic. In your case it seems either the sensor is faulty or there's a break in the wire somewhere.

Thanks either way.

Jordan
No issue here, not a single alert in the Service mode despite the calibration issue.

Nice to find a thread with like-minded people. My 2019 Model 3 SR+ (based in Germany) is having the exact same issue. Already been to the service center who tried replacing the headlight to no success. Well, at least no charges for that one :)

However the issue still remains. My service center also never saw this before, but looks like a few more customers in the meantime had similar issues and they escalated it to HQ 🤞

@EvoL

2023.44.30.2 Fixed it for me!! Finally. My headlights are working properly for sure.
I do not see an update available past 2023.44.1 for the model 3 2020 Dual LR