Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just picked up our m3 a few days ago, but I don’t know what to look for...

Also, to the op, the difference is, you change settings in the software to turn on PDE sensors or the factory alarm, change preferences for the key fob, etc. and you are done. If the car goes into a dealer again, they aren’t likely to mess with those settings. Even if they do, you can fix it again at home. Plus, the dealers don’t talk, so if one sees something, it is easy to tell them “that change was done at another dealer.”
Tesla does the updates remotely and automatically. Their system is monolithic, so any service center will see the same info as any other.

It is NOT a straight swap and done. You will have to have the mobile service come out and reprogram the car's computer when you do a headlight swap.

I had one of my headlights die and they had to push an update to the computer before the new headlights they put in would work.

Can you elaborate on this? Did you get one with the new headlights and experience this with a recent service appointment?

I’m sadden by the news of these new projector lights on the refresh models. I picked up my M3 Jan 15 and I don’t have these new lights. I guess because my car was manufactured 11/20 and they didn’t implement the new lights until 12/20?
I’ve contacted Tesla service this morning to see if they can upgrade it for me. I would expect free of course. It I doubt it’s going to turn out to my favor. So far I got a message back “I don’t believe so but I am currently looking into it for you”.

I’m sadden by the news of these new projector lights on the refresh models. I picked up my M3 Jan 15 and I don’t have these new lights. I guess because my car was manufactured 11/20 and they didn’t implement the new lights until 12/20?
I’ve contacted Tesla service this morning to see if they can upgrade it for me. I would expect free of course. It I doubt it’s going to turn out to my favor. So far I got a message back “I don’t believe so but I am currently looking into it for you”.
I'm confused why you think you're owed the new headlights for a car that was built before the new headlights even came out?

I never said they “owe” me. I was just saying to try and ask them since my car was built literally the month before they implemented the new headlights. Worse they can say is no but I think it’s worth a shot IMO.
You literally said you expect them to be free in your previous post. Which to me would insinuate that you think they owe them to you since you bought the car.

You literally said you expect them to be free in your previous post. Which to me would insinuate that you think they owe them to you since you bought the car.

Not at all. I said “free of course”, yes I did. But I’m not going to put up a fight and say they must or owe me. It’s just a chance I’m taking asking for it. I also did say it might not turn out in my favor. So...

Looks like a no go but at least I tried. :eek:

TESLA - There is no retrofit for the headlights that you're referring to. I will cancel this appointment.

Looks like a no go but at least I tried. :eek:

TESLA - There is no retrofit for the headlights that you're referring to. I will cancel this appointment.
Interestingly, the parts catalog doesn't seem to have projector, vs non-projector part numbers. Tesla may have moved away from supporting the old reflector ones altogether. For the US, the "00-L" versions may be the new projector style for the US (I'm guessing). A quick online image search shows the "00-K" versions as being the possible last rev of the reflector style.

Perhaps if you got into a hypothetical "accident" where your headlights were to get "damaged", you could have service throw in some projectors :D. I've heard the headlight assemblies are quite expensive.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-19 091236.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-02-19 091236.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 288
Reactions: chewychiu
Can you elaborate on this? Did you get one with the new headlights and experience this with a recent service appointment?
Any software update will work to synchronize a new/different headlight for the older versions. If you ever have to replace one yourself, just wait until you have a software update pending on the car and wait to install it after you swap out the headlight. It's still unknown whether the newer 2021 versions of the headlights will work for the older cars at all, or if it would require access to Tesla's Toolbox to change software configuration. Most likely they still use the same harness and software.

Took my 2021 LR to the SC in mid January for unrelated reasons and asked the Service Advisor about Matrix headlights (that became standard in my region just 2 weeks after I took delivery).

They told me they expect to receive an upgrade kit (no ETA) and that since they’ll be servicing WORKING headlights, it will be a paid upgrade. At the time, they also told me not to hold my breath because all inventory was earmarked for new cars.

Somebody linked the British video: it’s plain to see that even though the new headlights don’t do anything TODAY, they have the potential for some advanced beam forming.

Also, swapping headlights is a lengthy affair on the Model 3: the front bumper must be taken off first.

• Informative
Reactions: Danny Brown
Took my 2021 LR to the SC in mid January for unrelated reasons and asked the Service Advisor about Matrix headlights (that became standard in my region just 2 weeks after I took delivery).

They told me they expect to receive an upgrade kit (no ETA) and that since they’ll be servicing WORKING headlights, it will be a paid upgrade. At the time, they also told me not to hold my breath because all inventory was earmarked for new cars.

Somebody linked the British video: it’s plain to see that even though the new headlights don’t do anything TODAY, they have the potential for some advanced beam forming.

Also, swapping headlights is a lengthy affair on the Model 3: the front bumper must be taken off first.

The headlight change took about 15 mins...

Thee bumper is easy to come off.

• Informative
Reactions: Danny Brown