Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New headlights retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That coding may disappear one day after a software update. Good luck.
You fundamentally misunderstand how gateway configurations ("coding") and software deployment works in a Tesla.

Even doing a reset of basic things in the car like the learned steering angle requires a gateway unlock, which requires you to physically do things to the car like hold the brake pedal and turn signal.

Software updates refer to the gateway config to determine what car they are in, and locally build a manifest. Tesla does not send a unique update to every car. It's why when you get an update, it takes time after it downloads for it to be available to install.

Reactions: kodenco and goRt
I'm from Austria (Europe) and tried to retrofit the global headlights to my 2019 Model 3 Performance.
Even with the help of a 3rd party Tesla repair shop that has full Toolkit 3 access, we couldn't change the headlight config in the gateway, because it is greyed out.

After intensively looking through this thread, I concluded that only the newer 2021+ models can get the config change with the normal toolkit access.
So if I want to get it done on my older 2019 model, there is pretty much no way, except for some secret Tesla technician, that has some kind of higher level access to the car.

Maybe somebody can help me with this? I can't even send messages to other people to ask them stuff, because i just registered.

I'm from Austria (Europe) and tried to retrofit the global headlights to my 2019 Model 3 Performance.
Even with the help of a 3rd party Tesla repair shop that has full Toolkit 3 access, we couldn't change the headlight config in the gateway, because it is greyed out.

After intensively looking through this thread, I concluded that only the newer 2021+ models can get the config change with the normal toolkit access.
So if I want to get it done on my older 2019 model, there is pretty much no way, except for some secret Tesla technician, that has some kind of higher level access to the car.

Maybe somebody can help me with this? I can't even send messages to other people to ask them stuff, because i just registered.
You can @ them (just comment here with an @ in front of their username, the autocomplete should show up) and see if they can PM you about it.

I think my car has received three or four software updates since the third-party recoding and all is well. I should add that if anyone is interested in a set of perfect condition reflector headlights, please DM me. They were PPF'd immediately and did less than 9k miles on my 2023 Y before they were removed for the matrix upgrade. I'm in the Sac, CA area.

The third-party coder I mentioned above can also do towing mode activation...something others have said can't be done outside of the factory.

This isn't quite true. Tesla of course has a build sheet for the car and could, if they wanted to, see that the config had been changed vs the way it left the factory.

However, Tesla upgrades stuff themselves in the field all the time, such as the AP2->AP3 computer, or adding the homelink garage feature So they don't have a habit of going around and resetting configurations in cars to the way they were built. And the change your shop made is to the gateway config in the car, which is trusted as the ultimate source when you get a software update. So the software updater just sees "matrix headlights" in the gateway, and heads right out and configures all the car software for that, and flat out doesn't care how the car was configured in the factory.

Just a shame that Tesla doesn't let us do this ourselves and requires us to pay $500 for someone to hack this change, when they give us a button right in the service menu to do other changes that are identical technically.
One slight wrinkle with this is the fact that the VIN will return to Tesla a list of parts that were fitted to the car, in case of warranty replacements etc.

So if you code matrix lights to the car, and one of them breaks, they’ll run the VIN and it’ll say that the replacement light that’s needed is the older projector part number (which won’t work when fitted).

An exception to this I guess would be if/when a part becomes obsolete. I know that Tesla just stopped making the older non-heated steering wheels, for example, and anyone getting a replacement will get the heated version even though the heated functionality won’t be enabled.

One slight wrinkle with this is the fact that the VIN will return to Tesla a list of parts that were fitted to the car, in case of warranty replacements etc.

So if you code matrix lights to the car, and one of them breaks, they’ll run the VIN and it’ll say that the replacement light that’s needed is the older projector part number (which won’t work when fitted).
Of course Tesla won't warranty a part not originally fitted to the car by Tesla. That's not really a "wrinkle" in this. That's just the way warranties work. You of course still have the original headlights so you could just put those back if the new one broke.

But Tesla cannot deny you a warranty on anything but the headlights you retrofit.

Reactions: Durzel and goRt
I've bought some used matrix headlights that are on their way to me, and will be fitted by the end of the month.

Can anyone advise on the current process for getting the config changed? Is it still the case that Tesla can't/won't do it via a service request (I read earlier it requires "level 3 access", but then subsequently that this doesn't work either). It's fair to say that my local Tesla are a bit hit and miss about doing anything outside of the norm.

Otherwise is the still the case that I'm looking at ~$500 to code this one change?

I was able to convert my Austin-built 2023 Model Y Long Range that came with reflector headlights to Matrix LED with all functions working. It took about an hour to remove the frunk liner and front bumper and swap the headlights, then about 40 mins to put it all back together. Really not that difficult. I was left with headlights that were on all the time (if the car was on), but I had no control to turn them off, go to parking lights only, etc., and NO turn signal function. I tried the service menu reset--I did the software update and a reboot and after that I had zero headlight or turn function. The other thing that worked was a very dimly lit DRL.

I did a deep-dive on how to get them working, which led me to this thread as well as others where people have not had good luck getting the headlight firmware updated to have the Matrix work like the car came with them. I had an independent shop successfully change the configuration. All functions work as they should, and even the car's visualization is now updated with the new headlights.

Old reflector headlights:
53369515354_aa186f21ac.jpg

New:
53369203391_3ec438813c.jpg

Dissassemble:
53369515609_50e30446b1.jpg

All coded:
53368302137_68d4e05062.jpg

Updated in-car visualization:
53369398623_a9c1db0a3f.jpg

-Ken
Do you have any contact information for this independent shop? I'm also looking for a possible retrofit for matrix headlights.

If anyone has spied on the LIN bus to the headlight while the light show goes, I would be interested in chatting some more. Also if anyone is near Indianapolis Indiana with a tesla fitted with matrix headlights and is willing to plug in my bench headlight to spy on the LIN communications, hit me up.

in case anyone is curious I received the adaptive headlights feature here in the UK on my retrofitted matrix lights (2020 M3P) in the latest 2024.8.4 update.

Well worth the price of retrofitting now that this option is available (only 3 years after the hardware started being fitted!)

Attachments

• IMG_7265.jpeg
    IMG_7265.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7264.jpeg
    IMG_7264.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 12
in case anyone is curious I received the adaptive headlights feature here in the UK on my retrofitted matrix lights (2020 M3P) in the latest 2024.8.4 update.

Well worth the price of retrofitting now that this option is available (only 3 years after the hardware started being fitted!)
I retrofitted on a 2018 model through performance.
I don't anticipate the United States getting that update to activate them anytime soon though

Reactions: Durzel

sorry i am a bit out of touch with this thread.
I thought retrofitting wasnt possible because the wirering hardness had to be replaced? did you upgrade the wireing harness?
if so, is that just the harness coming from the front of the car or is this a major upgrade which is a) expensive and b) would also enable i.e. the heated steering wheel function on retrofit?

sorry i am a bit out of touch with this thread.
I thought retrofitting wasnt possible because the wirering hardness had to be replaced? did you upgrade the wireing harness?
if so, is that just the harness coming from the front of the car or is this a major upgrade which is a) expensive and b) would also enable i.e. the heated steering wheel function on retrofit?
No harness change. Just software

Reactions: Durzel