Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New HPWC Not Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks, I just installed an HPWC using the 6AWG copper wiring from my 14-50 outlet. I set the dip switch to 0 for test mode and flipped on the breaker. The HPWC behaved exactly as the manual said, green lights, sound of contactors activating, followed by a solid green light on top and red light flashing 3 times (dip switch set to 0). I flipped the breaker off and adjusted the dip switch to 8, 40A output. I flipped the breaker back on and the HPWC came back up with the bootup sequence followed by a solid green LED on top. I connected to my MS and I get either a solid Blue or Orange light on my charge port and the top LED on the HPWC is still solid green....no other activity. The MCU indicates that the charge port is open, but does not indicate charging or even a cable fault.

Any ideas?

I only see a red light when the rotary switch is set to 0, which is normal according to the manual. Solid green light on top and red flashing light (3x). Dip switch 1 is set to off for 240V, Line to Line. My install might require the Dip Switch (1) to be set to on. I will wait until my electrician comes out for a breaker swap.

Last edited:
Yeah I am going to doubt you have a 240 V --> Neutral system.

In the US, 240V Power is provided to homes and small buildings as a 120/240V 1 (split) Phase 3 Wire power circuit. It is 120 V between either line and neutral and 240 V between the 2 lines. I am not an electrician so do not go directly by my advice, but I am willing to bet this is your issue.

I think I have seen videos on YouTube where people have had Dip Switch 1 set to ON and it should be set to OFF, but not sure. In your case both Dip Switch 1 should be set to OFF, and Dip Switch 2 should be set to ON I am pretty sure, if this is a home installation. If that is how they are set I don't think that is the issue.

You are sure when you power up that the Red light does not blink at all? What does the dash say inside the Tesla when connected but not charging, anything?

I think I have seen videos on YouTube where people have had Dip Switch 1 set to ON and it should be set to OFF, but not sure. In your case both Dip Switch 1 should be set to OFF, and Dip Switch 2 should be set to ON I am pretty sure, if this is a home installation. If that is how they are set I don't think that is the issue.

You are sure when you power up that the Red light does not blink at all? What does the dash say inside the Tesla when connected but not charging, anything?

Dip 1 is OFF and Dip 2 is ON. I only see a red light on the wall connector when booted up with the rotary switch set to 0 (test mode). Three red flashes in the middle with a solid green on top, just as expected according to the manual. After turning the rotary switch to any other number up to 8, I don't see any red lights, only solid green on top after it boots up.

My MCU says charge port open when the charger is plugged in. The charge port is either solid orange or solid blue. No indication of a charger plugged in....not even to indicate a fault. This is really odd.

It does seem odd. I have read about someone getting a faulty wall charger, but that would be my last resort. You probably shouldn't have to, but do you have your car set to charge at 40A max? Might give a try to setting the car to 32A and see if that works, just to get a handle on what is causing the issue.

It does seem odd. I have read about someone getting a faulty wall charger, but that would be my last resort. You probably shouldn't have to, but do you have your car set to charge at 40A max? Might give a try to setting the car to 32A and see if that works, just to get a handle on what is causing the issue.

Thanks, I will try that if necessary when the electrician comes out. Im going to call Tesla tomorrow, maybe they can help me figure it out.

With the orange and the message about charge port being open, that sounds a little bit more like the handle not being fully in the port. I've had that once or twice. Frequently new owners have some hesitancy and a tendency to be gentle with the connector because they are afraid of breaking something, and it when it hits a little resistance, they think that's as far as it should go.

This is something where you shouldn't be too gentle with it. Get the front edge of the handle in the port to where it's lined up, and then give it a shove with some authority to make sure it's really in there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Acps110
With the orange and the message about charge port being open, that sounds a little bit more like the handle not being fully in the port. I've had that once or twice. Frequently new owners have some hesitancy and a tendency to be gentle with the connector because they are afraid of breaking something, and it when it hits a little resistance, they think that's as far as it should go.

This is something where you shouldn't be too gentle with it. Get the front edge of the handle in the port to where it's lined up, and then give it a shove with some authority to make sure it's really in there.

Thanks, that does make sense. I'll give it another shot this weekend.