Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone else noticed new issues with Tesla?
The new navigation sucks. The voice guidance is unclear and the trunnions turn instructions are horrible.

The network keeps on disconnecting more often than usual.

The voice command system lags.

Couldn't disagree more... The new system is much better at routing than the old, I can hear everything as usual, and I don't have any lags I've noticed with voice commands... Not sure what's different but...

Jeff

Haven't really seen the OP's issues:

New nav has been great for us; some real improvements over the old stuff.

No network problems. (At least not any new ones; still lousy a block below my house)

Voice commands do sometimes lag; but I don't think any more than before.

The new navigation has a few issues, but overall is an improvement over NAV 1.0.

On one route, NAV 2.0 is a little more conservative in selecting an exit ramp, requiring more distance between the exit ramp and a destination located on the frontage road near the ramp. With NAV 1.0, it will select the nearest exit ramp. With NAV 2.0, it wants us to get off on a ramp a mile back, evidently because the software doesn't believe we can cross 3 lanes of traffic quickly enough to get to our destination. We've seen that with two different destinations.

The other issue is in route selection. There are often multiple choices for routes - and the software sometimes selects a route that isn't as intuitive - and might have greater risk of traffic fluctuations (slower traffic or longer waits at stop lights). If we ignore the recommended route and take the more obvious route, the difference in predicted travel time is often one or two minutes - not significant. Wish there was a way for the software to display several routes with comparable travel times, and let us pick...

anyone else noticed new issues with Tesla?
The new navigation sucks. The voice guidance is unclear and the trunnions turn instructions are horrible.

As to the voice, I had the same reaction and felt it was not as clear as first, but it is a pleasant voice. If I crank up the volume enough, I can hear it OK. But I do find I have to pause my music or podcast more often than before to hear the navigation instructions clearly enough. i also find it tends to lag a bit and not announce turns quite as early as I would like. I missed a turn on one of the first trips I used it for. I hope Tesla can speed that up a bit.

I have mixed feelings about the miniature map in the instrument cluster. Yes, it is clear, but I sorely miss the previous system's big, clear displays of signs and lanes at major exits and highway splits. The new system has nothing like it.

As to routing, I have not used the new one enough to have noticed much of a difference. Personally, I rarely had a problem with the old one and thought it worked quite well most of the time, certainly as well as my wife's Garmin. (But of course, you never know if you might have done a little better on some other route you did not take...)

By the way -- What the heck is a "trunnion" that has turn instructions? Is this a Canadian term for some highway feature -- intersection or something? the definitions I find online have to do with machinery supports, or cannons....

Reactions: Algbc
I have mixed feelings about the miniature map in the instrument cluster. Yes, it is clear, but I sorely miss the previous system's big, clear displays of signs and lanes at major exits and highway splits. The new system has nothing like it.
Mine shows arrows for each lane with the ones that will take you where you need to be highlighted in white. In my experience, the old graphical ones were often wrong because things had changed or the ramp configuration was unique, so I think these are more likely to accurately assist.
By the way -- What the heck is a "trunnion" that has turn instructions? Is this a Canadian term for some highway feature -- intersection or something? the definitions I find online have to do with machinery supports, or cannons....
Nice research, I assumed it was a typo for turn instructions that was accidentally not deleted by an already frustrated poster.

I found this thread because I'm having a similar but slightly different issue. My navigation audio volume is fine and can be loud, but my problem is that the voice is completely muffled. It sounds like the lady is talking with her hand over her mouth. It's almost impossible to discern what she's actually saying.

I don't know if this is related to the update or just my car because this is a brand new 2018 model X that I just picked up, and as soon as I picked it up it had a software update waiting so I performed it. I never got to use the car with the old software. But my previous car was a Model S and I could hear the GPS voice perfectly clear.

Anyone else with this issue or have a fix?