Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t remember getting a sales tax exemption form but living in NJ luckily I didn’t pay sales tax on the vehicle. I just don’t remember seeing a separate form. Maybe because it’s part of the financing paperwork. You have a similar build to mine. Red with Black. I didn’t get the 20” induction wheels because of our horrible NJ roads and not wanting to tempt fate with flat tires. They were tempting though because then20” inductions look amazing. I also didn’t get tow hitch because I’ve never towed anything ever. I did. Upgrade to Enhanced Auto Pilot and love it. I’m considering the Acceleration boost. I wish you the best of luck with it. We are heading to DE fro a few weeks. Looking forward to taking the MY on its first road trip with supercharger stops.

I've never towed anything either. Did it for the bikes. I've still got the hitch rack on the Outback until the youngest comes at Christmas (assuming Colorado isn't still a banned state) to drive it back to Denver. So next season, the bikes need a transporter and my spouse isn't having any of that on her car.

Yeah, our roads are rough but maybe I've just been lucky. I think I've only gotten two flats in my life. One was at the pediatric dentist and not even me, but I was working a couple miles away and my wife called for a rescue ('91 Ford Aerostar). The other must have been in '73 on route 18 in East Brunswick because it was in my '68 Mustang which I sold in '74 to buy my 260Z.

I think they are supposed to give you the sales tax form. I attached mine. Basically I think it certifies to the state that you are exempt.

Attachments

• Snap2.png
    Snap2.png
    810.6 KB · Views: 102
@NJEV-Don

I suggest you look into a “Modern Spare” set that contains a Jack, tools, and donut. Don’t forget to buy the “pucks” for the lift points.

Do they sell a 'kit' for the MY? How do you figure out what size 'doughnut' works. I've been thinking I should have those pucks. I guess I could store this (except probably the tire) in the frunk. I've pretty much to scared of denting it when closing. I've only opened it twice. Seems pretty hard to fully latch and I can definitely see the hood flexing.

I've never towed anything either. Did it for the bikes. I've still got the hitch rack on the Outback until the youngest comes at Christmas (assuming Colorado isn't still a banned state) to drive it back to Denver. So next season, the bikes need a transporter and my spouse isn't having any of that on her car.

Yeah, our roads are rough but maybe I've just been lucky. I think I've only gotten two flats in my life. One was at the pediatric dentist and not even me, but I was working a couple miles away and my wife called for a rescue ('91 Ford Aerostar). The other must have been in '73 on route 18 in East Brunswick because it was in my '68 Mustang which I sold in '74 to buy my 260Z.

I think they are supposed to give you the sales tax form. I attached mine. Basically I think it certifies to the state that you are exempt.

thanks for including that. I reached out to my SA to see if I should have received it and why I didn’t. Oddly enough once I too, delivery she won’t respond to anything anymore. I will keep pestering her.

It’s on my list. It’s going to be ordered soon. Do you have one? Carry it all the time or just on long road trips? Does it fit in any of the under trunk storage spaces?

From what I have seen on reviews, it does not fit, unfortunately. Perhaps it could if the lower trunk was molded differently. I do not have a Tesla yet but am planning to get one once I place an order.

Do they sell a 'kit' for the MY? How do you figure out what size 'doughnut' works. I've been thinking I should have those pucks. I guess I could store this (except probably the tire) in the frunk. I've pretty much to scared of denting it when closing. I've only opened it twice. Seems pretty hard to fully latch and I can definitely see the hood flexing.

They do have a kit but it looks like they’re pretty busy so it takes about a month to ship. It comes with the wheel that fits all tire sizes (circumference) and scissor jack and lug wrench and the ratchet.

I don’t know if I would keep this in the trunk all the time, but it could be priceless for road trips or anytime I’m outside home.

I drove to Tesla since no one answers the phone or responds to emails. I spoke with a service advisor there and he was able to get my copy of the Tax Exempt form along with a bunch of other paperwork most of which I didn’t have either. He couldn’t really explain why I wasn’t provided copies of them to begin with. Their service after you purchase is kind of laughable but aggravating. They literally “ghost” once you pay and pick up your car. I have had better follow up from Toyota and Mazda. They’re not as cool as Tesla but still. I also inquired about my 1,000 free supercharger miles for picking up on 9/30, the last day of the quarter. He asked if I had anything in writing telling me I would be getting that and I showed him my email from my service advisor saying I would be getting it. What a dick. Like it really costs them all that much to do that. Anyway he told me that my service advisor would have to put that in for me and she was off next week which I told him she said she had. I will keep hounding them until they show up in my account. Tesla needs to be careful how they perform moving forward with the competition getting closer and closer and forcing them to compete in ways they haven’t had to in the past. They need to up their Quality Control game, delivery experience, after purchase follow up and repairs etc. Thanks for giving me the heads up on that tax exempt document. I appreciate it.

Looks like a good kit (it's also on Amazon for more $), BUT I noticed that the claimed jack capacity is less than the MY curb weight. I know you're only jacking up one side at time, but that makes me a little nervous.

Yes. You’re jacking up 25% of the car, right? I’d be curious to see what the rating of my Subaru scissor Jack is related to the total weight.

Actually you'll be jacking more than that as you lift the one wheel and a little more I suspect based on the jack points. Of course I have no idea what the actual number might be or how to calculate it. But you're probably right that it's not a problem. Even if it's 1/2 (which I don't believe), that's 2200 for a 4000 lb jack. ModernSpare was pretty quick to respond -

Thank you for your question. We have taken the jack capacity into careful consideration. Keep in mind that the jack used to change a tire is not required to lift the entire car, rather only one wheel off the ground for removal. This is quite typical with similar jacks. We also use a heavier jack capacity for all Tesla models than our other kit jacks to account for the heavier battery weight.
I hope this is helpful. Thank you
-Matt

I'll probably spring for one at some point.

I'll also have to take a look at my Subaru jack and see there is a capacity listed. Although the MY is about 800lbs heavier

Reactions: Pilot1226
I submitted my application and was told it would next be "reviewed". All they asked for was my driver's license, my temp registration and the first and last page of the MVPA. I didn't send them the 8 pages of Terms and Conditions nor the ST-4 (which doesn't even have the VIN on it). They didn't ask for that and I don't know why they would. I figure I'll hear something in a month.

I submitted my application and was told it would next be "reviewed". All they asked for was my driver's license, my temp registration and the first and last page of the MVPA. I didn't send them the 8 pages of Terms and Conditions nor the ST-4 (which doesn't even have the VIN on it). They didn't ask for that and I don't know why they would. I figure I'll hear something in a month.
Yes, it took a month to get mine reviewed.

I'll have to take a look at the site. When I did it, there wasn't any guidance as to what to upload other than proof of actual purchase (that's why I sent everything), the registration, and proof of residency (my license).

Last edited:
I was approved for the rebate on 8/11 and still have not received it. Has anyone received approval on this date or later and recieved it?

I emailed them a couple days ago suggesting they update the timeline on their approval email, as it states it should take 30 days but "could take longer". I'm now clear of 60 days, so their timelines are obviously in need of an adjustment to set better expectations.

Application Submitted 8/3
Marked Incomplete 8/18
Application Resubmitted 8/18
Approved 8/18
Mailed via USPS email 10/15 (email says it was mailed on 10/14)
I wonder if the State puts a freeze on all payments/spending as they approach the end of the fiscal year? That, and delays due to Covid, could certainly explain the extended timeframe. And the fact that it's government.... ;-)