Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Key Cards - Activation Needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’ll need at least one to authenticate the new cards. If you don’t you’ll have to schedule a service visit.
Which is a ridiculous necessity. Both our key cards stopped working, so I bought a new set. Yet we can't authorize them without the original cards —which, to repeat myself, stopped working! I have scheduled with mobile service to fix this problem, but I see no reason why one shouldn't be able to use a configured phone key instead to authorize new key cards. C'mon, Tesla, surely you could enable this in an update rather than occupy your service technicians' time for such trivial tasks.

Which is a ridiculous necessity. Both our key cards stopped working, so I bought a new set. Yet we can't authorize them without the original cards —which, to repeat myself, stopped working! I have scheduled with mobile service to fix this problem, but I see no reason why one shouldn't be able to use a configured phone key instead to authorize new key cards. C'mon, Tesla, surely you could enable this in an update rather than occupy your service technicians' time for such trivial tasks.

so that you cant be bluetoothjacked and someone can make themselves a key and drive off with your tesla. such carjackings have been quite common in the usa and norway...

so that you cant be bluetoothjacked and someone can make themselves a key and drive off with your tesla. such carjackings have been quite common in the usa and norway...
If someone can "bluetoothjack" the car with a cell phone, why even bother to make a key card? The thief's cell phone will suffice to steal it. Seems to me that requiring a 6-digit PIN in the car to authorize new cards via a connected phone would help thwart such thievery.

If someone can "bluetoothjack" the car with a cell phone, why even bother to make a key card? The thief's cell phone will suffice to steal it. Seems to me that requiring a 6-digit PIN in the car to authorize new cards via a connected phone would help thwart such thievery.

its encrypted so when they leave with the car they can only drive it once. They dont actually copy the signal they just kind of amplify it so the car thinks the phone is next to it.

Both cards should not just "stop working" at the same time. You might break one but the chances of breaking two at the same time is pretty slim. IF no card is working, there might be an actual problem with the car.
Have you tried the cards on both sides of the car and on the console? None of the readers work, for both cards?