Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Maps in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's good news.

I've had a journey where I have come down the M11 heading for "somewhere South" and Waze initially took me across the Dartford Crossing, the shortest route, but as the QE2 Bridge traffic built it decided it would be quicker to take me the "long way round". That's quite a lot more energy :( so having inbuilt SatNav doing those sorts of things will at least allow me to see what the implications are.

That said, I have Traffic ON, on SatNav, but not (to my knowledge) rerouting, and on a journey the other day SatNav re-routed such that it would use massively more energy. A couple of minutes later it had changed back again ... so might have been a red-herring - would have been alarming if I hadn't known the route sufficiently to question the options ...

How are we doing with this one, chaps?

I was hoping I'd get the new navigation the other day when I was connected up to WiFi for a solid 24 hours... I have 2018.24.1, replete with the greyscale maps on the centre console... but, alas, no new maps and routing in the iC.

Is this considered a fully rolled-out feature in the UK now, or are plenty still waiting to get them?

How are we doing with this one, chaps?

I was hoping I'd get the new navigation the other day when I was connected up to WiFi for a solid 24 hours... I have 2018.24.1, replete with the greyscale maps on the centre console... but, alas, no new maps and routing in the iC.

Is this considered a fully rolled-out feature in the UK now, or are plenty still waiting to get them?

I got the new nav eventually, but it took several weeks after updating to 24.1 which provided only the greyscale part initially. You will get a message on the main screen when it updates the nav app.

OMG, I forgot how bad the old maps were. I got a loaner from the SC and it had the old maps and remembered why I could never use them. So useless. Get my car back and the new maps are usable and actually a pleasure to use. I do still have my TomTom on so I can decide which to follow but the new maps are soooo much better and do navigate around traffic etc. Depends on what time you put in the settings for re-routing (I use 10 mins) but none the less I am using TomTom a lot less

OMG, I forgot how bad the old maps were. I got a loaner from the SC and it had the old maps and remembered why I could never use them. So useless. Get my car back and the new maps are usable and actually a pleasure to use. I do still have my TomTom on so I can decide which to follow but the new maps are soooo much better and do navigate around traffic etc. Depends on what time you put in the settings for re-routing (I use 10 mins) but none the less I am using TomTom a lot less

Did they say what had happened so soon after the service to cause the fluid loss?

That's good news.

I've had a journey where I have come down the M11 heading for "somewhere South" and Waze initially took me across the Dartford Crossing, the shortest route, but as the QE2 Bridge traffic built it decided it would be quicker to take me the "long way round".

At least it didn't take you over the woolwich ferry like the old maps did to me on many an occasion. Even more annoying after 4pm as the ferry is normal shut after then!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I got to use the new mapping in central London recently and it was flawless. Didn't miss a single turn and the routing was good. The new dash nav display is awesome. Easily the best native in-car nav I've used, but that's not saying much as most are terrible!

You guys are killing me... I still don't have the new maps! Tess lives underground most of the time, there's a bar or two of LTE so I get software updates, but the maps are a no-show... whenever I park anywhere with WiFi, it's seemingly quite terrible and the car struggles to even connect... I occasionally use a 4G hotspot to try and coax the maps down, but the car seems to disconnect from it before downloading anything much.

You guys are killing me... I still don't have the new maps! Tess lives underground most of the time, there's a bar or two of LTE so I get software updates, but the maps are a no-show... whenever I park anywhere with WiFi, it's seemingly quite terrible and the car struggles to even connect... I occasionally use a 4G hotspot to try and coax the maps down, but the car seems to disconnect from it before downloading anything much.
Shame they are really good ;)

Ever since a recent update, the onboard navigation describes the distance to an approaching obstacle in feet, not yards (e.g. "In 1000 feet, enter the roundabout..."). That's ridiculous, because 1000 feet is meaningless in a driving context, whereas 350 yards isn't.
How do I turn the narration back to using yards instead of feet?

I think mine has always used feet (bought 23rd March), but I don't have the voice on, just a quick glance at the binnacle display is enough for me. Not sure if you can change it.

Well the new navigation is good, but the updated Google maps, besides being Grey scal, also don’t seem to upload traffic info consistently. Here I am stuck in queue (on the left side of road for you stateside) not shown on the map, but then zooming in shows it.

F9F3A423-F88B-418B-B7A8-5D537218E792.jpeg 8668E2BC-D3FA-4E63-965B-F0A85379B257.jpeg

Well the new navigation is good, but the updated Google maps, besides being Grey scal, also don’t seem to upload traffic info consistently. Here I am stuck in queue (on the left side of road for you stateside) not shown on the map, but then zooming in shows it.

View attachment 325119 View attachment 325120

Yeah, unfortunately that's been the case since at least the 2018.26 update, I was hoping they'd fixed it in .28, but no such luck.

Got the new navigation update after a couple of updates in a couple of days, so I'm now on 2018.32.2 (3817fdd). Like a few others have mentioned, the navigation update happened on its own without any software update notification and involved a couple of centre console restarts. Strangely though, I had pulled away from my driveway just after the update happened, but this put my seat belt warning in a permanent On mode even though all the seat belts were engaged. So much so that I had to reboot the centre console after which it went away.

The new navigation is smooth, and I love the improved display in the driver console. Time will tell if the navigation integrates the traffic data and routes me in the quickest possible way like Google Maps does, but early results are promising.