Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Maps Update - Still Don't Have it?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up my 2015 CPO S on Tuesday at the Fremont delivery hub. I know enough to be able request a pre-delivery update to 2018.18 by name. Is there a name for the maps+nav update? Or do I just ask for the latest maps+nav update?

Last edited:
This thread started about 12 days ago. I watched the fleet reports at Teslafi and EV-FW.com as almost 95% of MS owners moved beyond 2018.10, where I was "stuck." As of today, I was very close to 2 SD below the mean. I regarded that as significant and possibly indicative of a technical problem. I resolved to call the SC about it when out of the blue, the car updated to 2018.18.2. In the end, that delay saved me from the nasty headaches many had with "ruined" audio in .14, .16, and .18 because audio was restored only in .18.2
So the reward for being delayed can be in escaping the regression glitches that some updates introduce and in finally leapfrogging to the most recent firmware when it finally happens.

I had a similar experience to you, @milleron . Have been on 2018.10.4. Took my car in for 1-year service and asked if an update was "stuck" which I know sometimes happens to people. He looked up my history and said that, no, there was nothing stuck. Just that I hadn't been selected for any pushes since I got 2018.10.4. They're obviously now going to apply the latest 2018.18. But I find it interesting that even with no "issues" that one can fall so far behind.

Here's one way to tell, I think. The new nav and maps display not only the standard predicted state of charge on reaching your destination but also the predicted SOC on returning to the starting point.
On the new system, intersections and interchanges along your route are labeled in black-and-white lettering, but those at which you'll be turning will be in large blue lettering.
Finally, when your car has finished downloading the new beta nav system, you get a clear set of release notes on your touchscreen withOUT having had to interact with the car to start or schedule any further update. If you haven't seen that release note, which is hard to miss, you don't have "new maps."

I just got my new maps today. Nothing showed up on the screen, but I noticed when I punched it an address for navigation the instrument panel nav was obviously new. Also the voice is much different. Sounds like a peaceful australian gal. Then when i checked my release notes it showed the prior release notes i saw before but also included the new navigation notes as well.