Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Member, Chevy Volt, Tesla, LA and Dixie Cups

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Member, looking for advice.

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing great. This is my first post.

Currently I am a proud owner of a 2013 Chevy Volt. 93k miles no issues at all. The only maintenance is 3 oil changes and new tires. If I have to say something wrong about the car is how fast the first generation depreciated.

I have been following Tesla for a long time. I tried to sell my Volt but the amount of miles and how much money I was ready to give away in a trade-in was ridiculous. Now that the car is going to my son, I’m ready to buy the Tesla.

I have been looking forward to buy a P85+ with black interiors and 21”Grey Turbine Wheels. After long hours trying to find this combination I was able to “almost” buy it. Why almost?. I found the in a dealer in CA. The cars was a 2014 P85+ 34K miles with the color combination I like and all the options available (no 3rd row) all for $51K . I paid my deposit and enter in a contract with the dealer. I provided the dealer all the information and paperwork they asked for. The following business day I flew from NE to CA to complete the transaction. I even brought my kid!

After a chaotic traffic in LA, We arrived to the dealer and the sale person told me that they sold the car during the weekend!!!!. I don’t want to go in to a rant of how I felt and so on…….. To vent I ate a hamburger and decided to go the Tesla stores (No Tesla stores In NE). Kuddos to Jonno. He is extremely knowledgeable and provided us with a great customer service.

After my visit I decided to look at the CPO program. The combination that I’m looking for is $68k. The same car with the same options (this one include the 3rd row) that I was ready to buy for $51k. This is very hard to swallow. My only Tesla item is a Dixie cup with the Tesla logo the store gave me for water. (I brought it home for fun and memories of the trip)

Anyway during the weekend I was able to find a 2013 P85+ with the color that I like and most of the options. The car has 15K miles and only one owner. The car looks great clean car fax. Selling price $50K

Options

• Performance Plus

• Grey Paint

• All Glass Panoramic Roof

• Black Nappa Leather/ Alcanta with Red Piping

• Carbon Fiber Décor Accent

• Tech Package

• Sound Studio Pack

• Parcel Shelf

• Supercharging

• Twin Chargers

• Pain Armor

• Rear Spoiler
I know the car is only low 15K miles. My main concern is the warranty. My Volt is great and not issues at all.

I will be driving and average of 100 to 120 miles per day. (weekends 70 per day).

I’m looking for some advice:

• Asking price

• “data” on reliability and repair cost.

• Anything else

Thanks

Is a private seller. Original owner. He tried to extent the warranty, but the service center decline because his car is 4 months pass the 4 yr deadline. I’m shock to know that the service rep declined an opportunity to sale a 2yr warranty because your car is 4 months past the deadline.

Where is the nearest service center? If you have a problem, Tesla will transport the car if it is under warranty. If the car is not under warranty, I think it will be your responsibility to get it to the service center. I had a 2012 model S and the only time it was not driveable was when the drive unit failed. The car had lots of little problems that were fixed during warranty. Are the service records available? It would be helpful to know what has been replaced.

The nearest service center is in Kansas City. 200 Miles from my location. A service center will be "Coming Soon" to NE.

I asked for the service record: Invoice June 2017

- Replace the 12v battery due to low voltage

1st Annual Service completed
- Replaced Wiper blades , Remote battery and casings.
- Replaced rear tires due to abnormal wear on inner tread. (Only 13K miles)
- Replaced LH and RH lower shock absorber bolts

One of the notes:
- Requires radiator shutter retrofit due to radiator shuttle fault . (Repaired on Sep 2017 with a 2nd generation retrofit)

The nearest service center is in Kansas City. 200 Miles from my location. A service center will be "Coming Soon" to NE.

I asked for the service record: Invoice June 2017

- Replace the 12v battery due to low voltage

1st Annual Service completed
- Replaced Wiper blades , Remote battery and casings.
- Replaced rear tires due to abnormal wear on inner tread. (Only 13K miles)
- Replaced LH and RH lower shock absorber bolts

One of the notes:
- Requires radiator shutter retrofit due to radiator shuttle fault . (Repaired on Sep 2017 with a 2nd generation retrofit)
I had a 2012 Volt before I got my Tesla. I wouldn't buy a Tesla without the warranty. Find a CPO and go that route.

Is a private seller. Original owner. He tried to extent the warranty, but the service center decline because his car is 4 months pass the 4 yr deadline. I’m shock to know that the service rep declined an opportunity to sale a 2yr warranty because your car is 4 months past the deadline.

I actually chuckled a bit IRL at this.

What does that tell you about Tesla reliability, if they refuse to sell (at any cost) an extended warranty, even in such favoring conditions?

Not to totally destroy your dream here... cause that dealer who sold the car out from under you did enough of that (what an @$$), but reliability isn't the strong suit here, especially out of warranty. You WILL have issues with the age of that car, not only is Tesla a new manufacturer, but that car is one year off their "learning curve". "Abnormal wear on inner tread" is common with pre 2014 air suspension cars... there is an expensive after market fix, but you'll mow through tires every 10-15k depending on speed and conditions, not to mention a slew of other well documented issues for that trim and year.

Truthfully, pony up and get a 2015 or newer, and if its just not worth it yet... I'd wait. Knowing everything I know now, I can't recommend an early year car to a "green" owner.

OP, I PM’d you. Also, the low mile 2013 P85+ seems like a great deal, assuming you have/can inspect it and all checks out. I personally wouldn’t want to own a Tesla out of warranty, but if the price is good enough it could certainly work out. I’ve had my CPO 2014 P85+ for 1 year and it’s been trouble free.

I guess I can't understand why the owner if he's planning to sell wouldn't have bought the extended warranty for resale purposes. I'd say most people here feels it's the way to go. I don't fault Tesla for not extending it once it's past the warranty point. That was the owner's responsibility and now is hurting him.

If you think he's factored into the sales price the lack of warranty I guess it's your call. Some of this stuff can get expensive to replace. I certainly would feel better with a warranty and probably would continue to look for a CPO.

Sorry to bring up the other bad situation but I'm confused and kind of shocked at the first sale not going through. Did you have a signed contract by both parties? Don't understand how that is possible if you do.

Warranty is like insurance. You're saving 18k by buying a car out of warranty. Imo it is a waste of money to get a cpo because Imo you won't spend 18k on problems over the next 4 yrs or 50k miles.

My car is out of warranty and even though it is, tesla service still treats you great and are very reasonable. They give me loaners for free and are very fair with their pricing and doing things in good will. The only major issue I've had on my 2013 is ball joints getting destroyed on Michigan roads. I had to replace all the front ball joints for about $1500 parts and labor, because the service center was very understanding and fair. Other minor issues were fixed in good will.
I'm 250 miles from a service center but that's only because they aren't allowed in Michigan so they provide ranger service free of charge also.

I also got myself AAA incase I ever need a tow, but again that's just insurance in a different form.

Thanks for all the help. For peace of mind CPO is the wait to go . At the same time i agree with Lukez and the possibility of spending a big amount of $$$ for repairs. Is hit and miss.

I drive around 35K miles per yr. So the warranty 4/40k will last 1yr and a few months. I will love to have the 2yrs/unlimited.