Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member wants a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys go easy. I am a new member and wanting a Tesla. Here is my question: My budget only allows for a CPO probably maxing me out at just under 50. I don't have many options, but it looks like I could get a S60 with the tech package.

Will I be happy with this or are there newer features I would really miss? most that I see are either 2013/2014.

I considered a lease, but it seems like a waste to put down 5,000 on a lease. just seems like throw away money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

Hi @bharned3. Welcome to the forum. Good to see another Texan (and Dallasite) taking the EV plunge.

In short: Yes you can definitely find a good S for less than $50k. (Getting an Autopilot car for that price may not be feasible, though. That is probably the biggest feature you might miss.) They go quickly, so you will need to be ready to plunk down $1,000 to reserve it. Better yet, get in touch with a CPO adviser, who will have access to cars not on the website yet. That is how I found my CPO S 85. The adviser for Texas is Brent Seavey. Reach out to him and he will help. His email address is his first initial and last name at Tesla.com.

Fortunately, all CPOs come with supercharging enabled. While this was an option when the older S 60 models were new, Tesla flips the switch to enable supercharging when reselling them as CPOs. Keep in mind, though, that it looks like you will need to purchase before Dec. 31st to get unlimited free supercharging, per the new Tesla policy.

Also, I recommend that you peruse the massive CPO thread. There is lots of good info there.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions. This forum is a great community with lots of nice people willing to help those of us who are new to Teslas.

Reactions: DiamondHands
Hi @bharned3. Welcome to the forum. Good to see another Texan (and Dallasite) taking the EV plunge.

In short: Yes you can definitely find a good S for less than $50k. (Getting an Autopilot car for that price may not be feasible, though. That is probably the biggest feature you might miss.) They go quickly, so you will need to be ready to plunk down $1,000 to reserve it. Better yet, get in touch with a CPO adviser, who will have access to cars not on the website yet. That is how I found my CPO S 85. The adviser for Texas is Brent Seavey. Reach out to him and he will help. His email address is his first initial and last name at Tesla.com.

Fortunately, all CPOs come with supercharging enabled. While this was an option when the older S 60 models were new, Tesla flips the switch to enable supercharging when reselling them as CPOs. Keep in mind, though, that it looks like you will need to purchase before Dec. 31st to get unlimited free supercharging, per the new Tesla policy.

Also, I recommend that you peruse the massive CPO thread. There is lots of good info there.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions. This forum is a great community with lots of nice people willing to help those of us who are new to Teslas.

Thanks @Boourns for the info and the contact I am worried about doing it before i close on my house I can not screw that up. I guess I better look into that option. Wonder if the deposit would make a difference on the free supercharging?

Definitely don't apply for financing until after you close on your house, but you can get an idea of inventory before that. Buying a Tesla works a little differently than other cars, so you probably won't end up applying for financing until after you put down a deposit on a specific car anyway.

I believe that putting a deposit down before Dec. 31 locks in the free supercharging, but definitely confirm. I am not in the market, so I haven't followed the story much beyond the headline. Brent will know for sure.

Definitely don't apply for financing until after you close on your house, but you can get an idea of inventory before that. Buying a Tesla works a little differently than other cars, so you probably won't end up applying for financing until after you put down a deposit on a specific car anyway.

I believe that putting a deposit down before Dec. 31 locks in the free supercharging, but definitely confirm. I am not in the market, so I haven't followed the story much beyond the headline. Brent will know for sure.

Brent replied and said that the following "You will get free lifetime supercharging, even if we close your deal after Jan 1st (grandfathered with the car, not the deal date)"

So that's good news I don't have to rush before the end of the year

This turned out to be excellent timing for me. Because of 3rd quarter push, I HAD to move on my Tesla deal before I had my prequal for my new house. Thankfully, Tesla Finance, at least for their internal leases (Not US Bank) has taken a rather long time to post to my credit reports so I got all the way through closing without it showing, just the initial inquiry for my lease approval. I was white-knuckling it the whole time :)

Hi guys go easy. I am a new member and wanting a Tesla. Here is my question: My budget only allows for a CPO probably maxing me out at just under 50. I don't have many options, but it looks like I could get a S60 with the tech package.

Will I be happy with this or are there newer features I would really miss? most that I see are either 2013/2014.

I considered a lease, but it seems like a waste to put down 5,000 on a lease. just seems like throw away money.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

Hi Bill!

Welcome! I'm selling my 2013 85 and I'm located in Dallas! Asking $41k.

Even if you aren't interested in mine you can find one under $50k. Being that we're in Texas and Tesla doesn't sell pre owned Tesla's they show up a lot at auctions.

Anyways, feel free to reach out if you want to take a look at my Tesla.

Mike

From time to time I come across these threads and throw my 2c in that I'm I pretty big proponent of buying directly from an original owner.

Get the original owner to add the ESA (extended warranty) before you buy. Then you end up with the balance of the factory warranty plus 4 extra years. It's how I ended up with 5.25yrs/67k mile warranty. And I saved a bunch off CPO.

It takes some patience though.

Reactions: Boourns
Sean here in Florida the CPO Tesla manager told me the unlimited was on 85 models only and up. Did not mention that I had till Dec. 31st to get this. We are close in getting a 14 as well.
Soun
This turned out to be excellent timing for me. Because of 3rd quarter push, I HAD to move on my Tesla deal before I had my prequal for my new house. Thankfully, Tesla Finance, at least for their internal leases (Not US Bank) has taken a rather long time to post to my credit reports so I got all the way through closing without it showing, just the initial inquiry for my lease approval. I was white-knuckling it the whole time :)
nice... I can't afford to risk it but wish I could do it tomorrow.

From time to time I come across these threads and throw my 2c in that I'm I pretty big proponent of buying directly from an original owner.

Get the original owner to add the ESA (extended warranty) before you buy. Then you end up with the balance of the factory warranty plus 4 extra years. It's how I ended up with 5.25yrs/67k mile warranty. And I saved a bunch off CPO.

It takes some patience though.
Good to know I'll see if I can make that work

Hi Bill!

Welcome! I'm selling my 2013 85 and I'm located in Dallas! Asking $41k.

Even if you aren't interested in mine you can find one under $50k. Being that we're in Texas and Tesla doesn't sell pre owned Tesla's they show up a lot at auctions.

Anyways, feel free to reach out if you want to take a look at my Tesla.

Mike
Thanks Mike. What options does yours have. I'm about 30 days out I think.

Go with your priorities. AP is great. But it is only a small part of the amazing experience of driving completely electric.

My recommendation is to not spend more than you feel OK with. It simply is not worth it. You will be truly shocked and amazed by any Tesla that you buy. And this comes from personal experience.

Have fun!

I had autopilot for a week in the 70d rental, it was cool yes but you have to touch the steering wheel about every 30 seconds. unless it's AP2 with 8 cameras and fully taking over its not worth the extra money for AP1.

You are not going to get a CPO with AP with that budget, so focus on what else you want. Be aware of insurance cost, tax and registration, outlet install cost and 'essentials' like mats (Tesla's factory ones are embarassing), trunk and funk lights (search for Abstract Ocean) and possibly tint and paint protection. Point is that lot can push your budget if 50K is your real limit. Private sale with extended is a good option, though introduces a deductible that the CPO warranty does not have.

Feel free to PM, got my 2015 CPO at end of November.