Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 -- $9k off Design Studio price -- Your design -- no gimmicks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you just ate 9k for the hell of it?

Perhaps. Or maybe the buyer is taking the credits.

Hey, I am eligible for the powerwall and I've been trying to get credit for it. Could you help me out with it?

I really can't. You have to work with your Tesla Energy associate who may or may not be able to help you. I know the PW credit program in the U.S. is/was on a case-by-case basis, and may or may not be something you can count on. Sorry.

I really can't. You have to work with your Tesla Energy associate who may or may not be able to help you. I know the PW credit program in the U.S. is/was on a case-by-case basis, and may or may not be something you can count on. Sorry.
No worries, I haven't tried the energy route yet. Did you start the process once you got the call to schedule installation?

I am a natural skeptic like many here but there are too many opinions on this tax credit that are simply ignorant. Go to irs site and research it before assuming OP is trying to steal 7500 - it is clear he is not. Bottom line he is trying to monetize a PW2 award already earned. OP - ensure the 3k CT rules. In MA they tried to call me out for not owning the car the full 3 yrs (I did) and suggested recapture.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
No worries, I haven't tried the energy route yet. Did you start the process once you got the call to schedule installation?

Yes, but it took me a year to negotiate the credits. They called me in October of last year and progressed through several stages of "credit'. At one point, they said they were just going to send me a check for the credit, then retracted that offer. It took a lot of perseverance and working with them to make it happen. If you take an adversarial approach like they owe you the credits, you won't get anywhere fast.

OP - ensure the 3k CT rules. In MA they tried to call me out for not owning the car the full 3 yrs (I did) and suggested recapture.

Thanks for your comments, but see my post above. The buyer bought the car new in his name and is taking the federal and state credits.

Yes, but it took me a year to negotiate the credits. They called me in October of last year and progressed through several stages of "credit'. At one point, they said they were just going to send me a check for the credit, then retracted that offer. It took a lot of perseverance and working with them to make it happen. If you take an adversarial approach like they owe you the credits, you won't get anywhere fast.

Thanks for your comments, but see my post above. The buyer bought the car new in his name and is taking the federal and state credits.
Oh wow. In that case, one of my friends was interested in the powerwall so I'll just sell it to them. I was hoping to put some credit towards fsd but looks like I won't be able to do that in a reasonable amount of time

Last edited:

Or they could have just ordered a car with your referral code. Why the hassle of using your reservation when there's no true wait.

Or they could have just ordered a car with your referral code. Why the hassle of using your reservation when there's no true wait.
  • When the buyer ordered the M3, there were no referrals for RWD M3
  • The PW2 referral award credits were on my account which could only be applied to the reservation on my account
  • I gave the buyer a $1500 cash discount for the "hassle"
The point of this entire exercise was not to gain one referral point, but rather it was to extract value out of the PW2 award credits since I wasn't going to have them installed in my house and Tesla won't let you sell or transfer them. Originally my wife was going to buy the M3 and use the credits, but she changed her mind.

• When the buyer ordered the M3, there were no referrals for RWD M3
  • The PW2 referral award credits were on my account which could only be applied to the reservation on my account
  • I gave the buyer a $1500 cash discount for the "hassle"
The point of this entire exercise was not to gain one referral point, but rather it was to extract value out of the PW2 award credits since I wasn't going to have them installed in my house and Tesla won't let you sell or transfer them. Originally my wife was going to buy the M3 and use the credits, but she changed her mind.
Gotcha just paying incentives for them to use your referral code.

Gotcha just paying incentives for them to use your referral code.

Gosh, how many times do I have to say it? NO.

There was no incentive to use my referral code, as the non-P 3 was not eligible for a referral when we placed the order. And even if the buyer did buy a P3D, that's not what the incentive was for. I received NO REFERRAL CREDIT FOR THIS DEAL.

The $1500 incentive was to help me monetize my already earned PW2 credits by buying a Model 3 and using the credits on my account. I had to make it a good "win-win" deal for both parties to enter into an agreement to accomplish that. We had a legal agreement drawn up, as there needs to be trust on both sides to make the deal work. Nobody is going to go through the hassle to help me use the credits if there weren't something in it for them.

Got it this time?

Reactions: byeLT4 and MP3Mike
It was supposedly one of the last they did and then suspended the option. So I'm not suprisurp. The odd thing was that o could only use the credit on non Tesla energy products. My original intent was to apply it towards solar. No dice. So through the 3 it was.
Dang, that sucks. I was hoping to use the credit to pay for FSD or an extended warranty

I was told verbally by my Solar City rep doing the PW install that I could take credits instead. When my Model 3 arrived, they denied it. I didn't have anything in e-mail to document things so was SOL. I think Tesla was pushing so hard to get a profit last quarter, they did every sleazy thing they could do.

Honestly, Reeler, I don't think it was a profit thing. I think in your case it was just a set of people who didn't know the [always changing and undocumented] policies, as well the fact that internal and external communications is not great at Tesla. Also, in your situation, you should have confirmed the credits in writing being applied to a car purchase before ordering the car, as I did. There are several different departments/people that needed to be involved to apply the credits between ordering and delivery, the way you just sprang it on them the day of delivery was surely not going to end well. Maybe you can get another shot at it and do as I did and sell another car to someone else to extract the value of the credits, less a 10% discount (of the total value of the credits) for the buyer.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker