Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Autosteer Veers to Left of Lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally having an opportunity to test autosteer here on the 405 freeway. If I'm centered in the lane and enable autosteer, the car always jerks it to the left side of the lane and stays there. Is this normal? If not will it fix itself, or require a technician intervention? I have the latest software (v10). Mobile tech is coming out eventually to fix an airbag cover than Tesla poked a hole in so I can ask then.

Side note: The car came with a crooked steering wheel, but Tesla service aligned the car. The wheel was misaligned to the right by 20 degrees but the car tracked straight. Don't think it's related, but the car did calibrate with the steering wheel off center.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Autosteer.PNG

You need to verify externally that you are centered when you think you're centered. Have someone drive behind you when you think you're centered, not on the 405, but on a quiet piece of road.

The only reason I mention it, is because the car ahead of you is also being shown a slight bit off-center to the left. Did you notice if that vehicle was off-centered?

Lastly, the vehicle is showing a double-line to your left, so it may be treating that lane, HOV?, like it were a wall, and giving a little more room to the lane on your right, which has vehicles that can move in or out of your lane. You do have lane-splitters, right?

Finally having an opportunity to test autosteer here on the 405 freeway. If I'm centered in the lane and enable autosteer, the car always jerks it to the left side of the lane and stays there. Is this normal?
Does not seem normal to me. Today I drove about 400 freeway miles from California to Oregon, used NOA 99% of the time. The car did great. Lane centering fine.

Finally having an opportunity to test autosteer here on the 405 freeway. If I'm centered in the lane and enable autosteer, the car always jerks it to the left side of the lane and stays there. Is this normal? If not will it fix itself, or require a technician intervention? I have the latest software (v10). Mobile tech is coming out eventually to fix an airbag cover than Tesla poked a hole in so I can ask then.

Side note: The car came with a crooked steering wheel, but Tesla service aligned the car. The wheel was misaligned to the right by 20 degrees but the car tracked straight. Don't think it's related, but the car did calibrate with the steering wheel off center.

Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for any insight!

View attachment 462619

You can see from the image that the left offset is intentional by the software. It also now does this while passing semis.

Reactions: brandonee916