Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Battery Range Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there, I am a first time Tesla owner and EV driver. I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+ that I got in June brand new. It has about 2,500 miles on it. I recently noticed that when I charge to 80% I am seeing a lower range than before. The car is rated at 240 at 100% but I dont seem to get 192, I get around 183 at 80%.

I usually keep the car between 60% and 80% and never charged to 100%, only twice to 90%.

Is that a concern? I am reading that recalibration can help with miles display. Perhaps overthinking it?
Anyone had this similar issue on a new car with less than 3,000 miles? I drive very efficiently, getting about 210 wh/mi on average.

Thanks for feedback!

...Perhaps overthinking it?...

Yes.

Model 3 is guaranteed to retain 70% of its capacity, so Tesla won't cover you even if you have lost 29% anyhow!

To reduce calculation drift, I think Tesla wants you to charge at 90% as often as you can.

It's fine to charge less than 90% but the calculation will drift quicker and it may appear as if you lose range.

LikeTesla on Twitter

@LikeTeslaKim
·
Nov 30, 2018

any insight on the best nightly SoC for battery longevity? 90%, 70%, 50%? Any software fix for unbalanced cells due to sub 90% nightly charges?

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to
@LikeTeslaKim
Not worth going below 80% imo. Even 90% is still fine. Also, no issue going to 5% or lower SoC.

Last edited:
Take it to 100%. It won't harm the battery. (On a normal charge, get it at 80-90%)

There's no problem with your battery, a quick search should have yielded dozens of thread with the exact same issue. You are indeed overthinking it and worrying about it.

You need to take it to 100% every few months. I recommend taking a trip, getting out, enjoy the countryside.

Reactions: XLR82XS and Zoomit
Hello there, I am a first time Tesla owner and EV driver. I have a 2019 Model 3 SR+ that I got in June brand new. It has about 2,500 miles on it. I recently noticed that when I charge to 80% I am seeing a lower range than before. The car is rated at 240 at 100% but I dont seem to get 192, I get around 183 at 80%.

I usually keep the car between 60% and 80% and never charged to 100%, only twice to 90%.

Is that a concern? I am reading that recalibration can help with miles display. Perhaps overthinking it?
Anyone had this similar issue on a new car with less than 3,000 miles? I drive very efficiently, getting about 210 wh/mi on average.

Thanks for feedback!

It's pretty clear from various pictures posted recently and my own rated range behavior that Tesla changed the state of charge estimation with one of their software updates (I think it was 2019.24, though it might have been the prior version; I've lost track). Everything changed for me overnight in late-July (100% charge went from 310rmi to something like 303rmi).

Standard battery degradation will be much slower and more gradual. Sudden battery failure will be an abrupt change as we're "seeing" right now. But that can easily be confused with state of charge algorithm changes. The way to distinguish is to correlate with software updates. You can also keep driving, and if your battery has failed, the problem will continuously get worse and eventually the car will likely complain about it. Then you can take it to Tesla to have it replaced.

A battery failure is very unlikely your issue, as there are many people seeing what you're seeing, and none of them have battery issues.

I would not change anything you are doing, just drive and charge to the level you need, and keep an eye on the behavior. You'll probably notice it suddenly bounce back on a future update to closer to the normal degradation trendline. You can try some of the recommendations, but there is no guarantee they will work, and it's just as likely a future software update will fix the problem for you.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7