Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new Model 3, charge port not locking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issue, and if so how it was resolved. Just picked up a M3 SR+ last week. When I use the included charging cable, I get the message on my app that "The charging cable may not be connected properly". It seems to charge fine, at 5m/hr on the Level 1 adapter. It doesn't appear to be locking. I'm in Los Angeles, and the temperatures have been 70-80 degrees. I'm aware of the update to address frozen charge ports, but that shouldn't be affecting me, right?

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issue, and if so how it was resolved. Just picked up a M3 SR+ last week. When I use the included charging cable, I get the message on my app that "The charging cable may not be connected properly". It seems to charge fine, at 5m/hr on the Level 1 adapter. It doesn't appear to be locking. I'm in Los Angeles, and the temperatures have been 70-80 degrees. I'm aware of the update to address frozen charge ports, but that shouldn't be affecting me, right?

I believe if it fails to lock in properly, charging current is limited to something like 16 amps. Since you are not charging over 16 amps right now this has zero functional impact I suspect (other than someone could steal your UMC).

If you can’t obviously see anything jammed in the port and you can’t get it to seat/lock the you just simply need to call for service and have them fix it. :)

Good luck and please report back!

Hello,
Are you using a NEMA 14-50 outlet with the 14-50 adapter? If the adapter is not fully inserted into the UMC it won’t charge.

Using the standard edison adapter at 12A charing rate. It does charge fine. Just wondering about the message regarding locking. Nobody else has seen this message? Maybe I just need to take it to service already.

Yeah, I think you are seeing an updated error message (we have seen this type of failure before, but I think they have changed the text that they display to the user). You need to request service I think. ;-)

Update: I used a supercharger today and it seemed to lock, charging at 43Kw. I compared the connector to mine and they look almost exactly the same. Mine is just a little thinner overall, but the notch for the locking pin seems exactly the same on both. I have an appt for service and will update with what they say.

Reactions: eprosenx
Reviving this thread because I have the same issue described by OP. Wondering if anyone else has seen it or has any idea what could be wrong.

Details:
M3P VIN 80000 (ish)

I have a Tesla Wall Connecter set @ 40a. When I plug it into the car it fails to lock after multiple attempts (clicking noises as if the latch is trying to close). The light eventually settles to orange and the car will charge, albeit limited at 16 amps and not locked (can be pulled out without pressing button). The charger has no damage, and works as expected with my wife's model 3. It has worked flawlessly with my car for over a year until about two weeks ago.

Interestingly, the charge port works just fine with the included charger (Tesla Mobile Connector) plugged into 110v same as anticowboyism described above. I haven't been near a supercharger so can't say if that works. Also, when I wake the car from sleep I can hear clicking from within the charge port even when the car is not plugged in. It's like it is trying to latch or unlatch 4 or 5 times because it detects something is amiss.

So far mobile service has attempted two separate repairs on different days. The first attempt was a replacement of the charge port latch sub assembly (1492302-10-B). The second was a replacement of the entire charge port assembly (1093010-10-G).

Interestingly, the charge port works just fine with the included charger (Tesla Mobile Connector)

So far mobile service has attempted two separate repairs on different days. The first attempt was a replacement of the charge port latch sub assembly (1492302-10-B). The second was a replacement of the entire charge port assembly (1093010-10-G).

Seems from the above that the car is less likely to be the issue.

Have you carefully inspected your Wall Connector handle and compared it to the UMC? Especially the portion associated with the lock mechanism... Also look into the wall connector handle to see whether there is any debris that might be interfering. But surprised the Mobile Service would not have inspected this.

I have a Tesla Wall Connecter set @ 40a. When I plug it into the car it fails to lock after multiple attempts (clicking noises as if the latch is trying to close). The light eventually settles to orange and the car will charge, albeit limited at 16 amps and not locked (can be pulled out without pressing button). The charger has no damage, and works as expected with my wife's model 3. It has worked flawlessly with my car for over a year until about two weeks ago.

My guess is that one of the pin tips has come off of your wife's Model 3 and is stuck in the handle of your WC, such that you can't fully insert into your Model 3 because you have both pin tips in place.

Compare the charge port between your two Mode 3s and you will probably see the difference.

stuck in the handle of your WC, such that you can't fully insert into your Model 3 because you have both pin tips in place.

I would think that if the insulator or whatever it is called was broken off and stuck in the WC handle, it would prevent charging entirely (it charges at 16A). But I do agree that it seems likely there is something wrong (debris or similar) with the Wall Connector handle. And inspecting all charge ports & charge handles involved is a good idea.

I would think that if the insulator or whatever it is called was broken off and stuck in the WC handle, it would prevent charging entirely (it charges at 16A). But I do agree that it seems likely there is something wrong (debris or similar) with the Wall Connector handle. And inspecting all charge ports & charge handles involved is a good idea.

It goes in far enough to make connection and charge, but not to lock, so the charging is limited. It is a common issue and there is a TSB to replace the pin tips on dinner Model 3s to prevent it. (Them getting stuck in Superchargers is more of a problem since it prevents all charging and looks like a bad stall.)

Last edited:
Thanks both for your responses!

I didn't mention but - there is no damage to either the charger of the ports of either cars. This includes pins, as well as the notch that the latch "grabs". I have even gone so far as to measure (with calipers) the distance between the end of both chargers (mobile and wall) to ensure that there are no dimensional differences that could impact why one works over the other.

I keep getting stuck on the fact that the car charge port makes clicking noises when the car wakes up when unplugged (and my wife's doesn't). Anyone experience that?

Weird. If there is no debris in the WC charge handle (I know it works with your wife's car), I don't know what to say other than maybe Tesla needs to come out and try fixing it again. Weird that the UMC in your car works just fine though. And that this problem has persisted in spite of replacement of both the charge port and the charge port latch... The loud clicking is definitely weird - I remember another thread about such craziness but I can't find it right now.

MP3Mike - you were 100% correct. It was indeed the pin from my wife's charge port that was stuck in the wall charger, thus preventing full insertion in my car. Many thanks for your response, it totally led me to this discovery (and prevented a service visit, as that was the next step the advisors were recommending)!

...If only I had posted here before they replaced the perfectly good charge port on my car...

My guess is that one of the pin tips has come off of your wife's Model 3 and is stuck in the handle of your WC, such that you can't fully insert into your Model 3 because you have both pin tips in place.

Compare the charge port between your two Mode 3s and you will probably see the difference.

MP3Mike - you were 100% correct. It was indeed the pin from my wife's charge port that was stuck in the wall charger, thus preventing full insertion in my car. Many thanks for your response, it totally led me to this discovery (and prevented a service visit, as that was the next step the advisors were recommending)!

...If only I had posted here before they replaced the perfectly good charge port on my car...

You're welcome, glad I could help. Really Tesla should have this as a standard part of their support script, at least until they are able to replace all of the 'faulty' pin caps.

Did you have any trouble getting the pin cap out of the handle?

Now that you have resolved that, does your Model 3 still click more than your wife's or is it all good now that it knows it can properly lock a charge connector?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Getting the plastic piece out was a headache for sure. Tried pins (even heated up to insert), tiny pliers, etc for over an hour.

Eventually put a small drill bit in a Dremel, clamped the charge head to a table, and carefully drilled into the little plastic piece. I was convinced I would destroy the charger but did it really carefully and was able to drill a small hole in the plastic, turn off the drill, then pull it out with the bit still in the hole.

playing the operation game as a kid paid off...

not sure about the clicking will report back.

Reactions: house9 and MP3Mike
Getting the plastic piece out was a headache for sure. Tried pins (even heated up to insert), tiny pliers, etc for over an hour.

Eventually put a small drill bit in a Dremel, clamped the charge head to a table, and carefully drilled into the little plastic piece. I was convinced I would destroy the charger but did it really carefully and was able to drill a small hole in the plastic, turn off the drill, then pull it out with the bit still in the hole.

playing the operation game as a kid paid off...

not sure about the clicking will report back.

There is a thread around here somewhere showing that a fine tip Sharpie happens to have exactly the right diameter barrel to release the plastic and remove it.

Fix for plastic charge pin insulator stuck in charger handle

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
I moved to a house that had an existing Tesla charger and it would not connect to my Model 3 properly but always worked with the prior owners Model X. Reason why was the tip from his car and broken off in the charger handle.

I used the drill bit method and out it came and the charger now locks properly.

Attachments

• F80511B5-124F-4B5F-934A-2147013C157C.jpeg
    F80511B5-124F-4B5F-934A-2147013C157C.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 363
  • Helpful
Reactions: eprosenx