Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model 3 owner, a bit rattled by auto pilot hardware defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my model 3 a little over a week ago and so far really like the car except for the fact that auto pilot, cruise control, and automatic wipers haven't been working. Drove the model X for a while, so definitely missed the auto pilot feature in the past week. Initially thought that it might be still be calibrating, but after driving a few hundred miles, I made an appointment with the service center and just found out today from them that an incorrect front camera was installed and they are ordering a new replacement for it.

Assuming their diagnosis is correct, I'm a bit rattled by this. Being a software engineer, it just leaves me wondering, how do they allow a car with incorrect hardware to be delivered? It seems like a relatively simple software check to ensure all connected hardware is as expected. And this experience just leaves me wondering, what else in the car is incorrect but just not as easily noticeable. For example, did they even install the correct airbags? It's quite baffling that a completely incorrect part is installed into the car.

Anyways, just posting about my experience and wondering if anyone else has had problems as major?

How does a doctor amputate the wrong leg?

How does a parent forget about their child in a hot car?

How can Hawaii possibly send a false inbound ICBM alerts?

More severe things in life have happened randomly than an incorrectly installed front camera.

Now as far as issues, I had some kind of o-ring leak on the X which rendered the AC useless. Took Tesla about an hour to fix.

To the OP's point though, with Tesla's design, there should be many things the car CAN check and report back to HQ if there are issue...for example, an incorrect hardware being detected. Why not take advantage of this feature to their benefit and retroactively fix things before it gets to the customer.

Reactions: mtndrew1
I think its a good thing that autopilot didn't work with the incorrect camera, so there's some validation going.

It's embarrassing for all of course, you had an issue but personally it's something I'd take in stride to own a Tesla.

Reactions: Pkmmte
FYI, service techs or service people don't always know what they are talking about so take their "diagnosis" with a grain of salt.

Also, Incorrect could have just meant an older revision that was now superseded, so technically could be the "wrong" camera.

Reactions: tracksyde