Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model S is coming sooner than we all think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I finally picked a CPO 2018 MS and paid deposit, after 2 months Tesla still hadn't been able to raise final invoice, even when I was at my collection appointment. It appeared to be something to do with a systems migration gone bad. I ended up getting a different car because they couldn't give me a date for invoicing the original one. Apparently no CPO cars could be invoiced. Then I noticed CPO inventory drop to nothing.
In before @Ostrichsak drops by to correct the use of “CPO”...

• Love
Reactions: outeast and ucmndd
They may be just pulling everything to change to no free supercharging or no free ludicrous on performance models since the 4rth quarter push is over. They have left goodies like these available through January in the past for fence sitters who couldn’t get their act together or make a decision untill the new year. It means nothing. Yes there will be an update but I decided not to wait as the prices on demo Ravens were just to good to pass up. This will position me well for an upgrade when the new interior comes out in 2/3 years ( just kidding on the last part)

Reactions: voltage
Having purchased our first Tesla years ago (2012 S P85), have been watching S pricing since the beginning.

With two exceptions, Tesla has generally maintained roughly the same price points each time they make model changes, providing more range or features for roughly the same price.

The two exceptions:
  • When AP2 was introduced and they started charging for AP and FSD, those features increased the price of a fully loaded S
  • When Tesla started losing the full $7500 tax credit and they began selling 3's, they did around a 14% price decrease for the non-performance model and even a larger price decrease on the performance model
Tesla has positioned the S/X models at a rough price point above 3/Y and in comparison with comparable luxury ICEs, so it would be surprising to see the price change much when Plaid is increased. The fully loaded performance/Plaid version may cost more. But if they make any "refresh" changes to the other S versions, it's likely prices won't change much (and might even decrease, if the changes reduce manufacturing costs).

Tesla usually announces model changes when those changes are ready to go into production, and then have to deal with customers with orders which have been placed and not yet delivered. They usually don't make any pricing changes for orders immediately before a model change is made. While there is a possibility Tesla might reduce the price of any inventory vehicles they have after the changes gone into production, but you can't count on that.

Every time there is a major change to one of the Tesla vehicles, there is always some angst and frustration from customers who received vehicles immediately before the change and uncertainty by those who have orders in process. This is the trade-off for Tesla's practice of introducing model changes immediately when they are ready to go - rather than waiting for a new model year...

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352