Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S Review on IGN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ryanjm

Tesla Podcast Host
Oct 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
My apologies for the self-promotion here, but I wanted to let you all know that Day 1 of my Model S coverage is up at IGN, where I am on the editorial team. I know you've all seen a million Model S reviews already (as have I), so because we're not a car site -- we cover video games (my normal beat), movies, TV, comics, and tech -- I took a different angle on my look at Model S. The question I am attempting to answer is, "Is the Model S the best gadget in your life?" I've got a video rolling out each day for the next three days (today-Wednesday), each covering a different part of the car (today: exterior, Tuesday: interior/touchscreen, Wednesday: first drive) before my full review -- a very long written article with a video review as well -- goes up on Thursday.

Take a look here if you're curious. Appreciate you checking it out as well as any feedback! Again, I'm normally a video game editor so I'm a bit outside my normal realm here. But this was a passion project for me that I was able to sell both my bosses on as well as Tesla.

And here's part 2: the touchscreen.

Here's Part 3: the First Drive.

Final edit: Here's the full, insanely long 3,500-word review, which also contains a 9-minute video review as well as the aforementioned 3 videos.

P.S. I already caught my dumb error in the first video, as I mistakenly called the headlights LEDs instead of Xenons. Doh!

Last edited:
Beautifully shot video. Love it icon14.gif

Very cool that you guys at IGN did a car like Tesla. I'm currently enjoying your video walkthrough of "The Last of Us" a lot. When I am not sure how to progress. Or it gets too freakin' scary :scared:

So you play video games and review electric cars for a living? I'm so jealous right now....

- - - Updated - - -

One thing of note in the first video. When opening the frunk, you state the Model S has no engine. It does, it is just an electric engine that is housed in the rear of the vehicle.

Part 3 has a small error: the performance version actually has the same ac motor as the normal version, but beefier inverter (and cabling).

Aw shoot, you are correct Luke. For everyone else who hasn't seen it yet, here's Part 3: The First Drive.

Hopefully I'll do better tomorrow, when my full review (all 3,500 words of it plus a 9-minute video review) goes up!

Ryan,
I'm enjoying the videos, even if some of your comments are a bit off....

1) can't control sunroof from the bottom fixed set of icons on the 17" touch screen, and charging information is actually found along the top row, not the bottom
2) Curb weight is 4600+lbs, not 45 :)
3) Turn by Turn is an option, not standard (tech package required)

Great reviews though :)

I think it is interesting reading the comments on the first three parts of the series. So far, there are a lot fewer hostile or negative comments about Tesla and EVs than you typically see on more mainstream news site articles. It is also pretty cool that the misinformed negative comments are quickly rebutted by both Ryan and the other commenters with facts backed up with references and links.

I am still puzzled about why some people seem to feel so threatened by Tesla and EVs in general, to the point where they feel the need to spew misinformation. Oh well...

Great video reviews, Ryan; I'm about to watch the third.

3) Turn by Turn is an option, not standard (tech package required)

I've noticed a lot of reviews tend to review things as they're experiencing them, e.g., quoting 0-60 times for the P because that's what they had, etc. So I've started taking it as given that if the review says something, it may be specific to the model they had.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I love the line about not having to wait for gas going through a line...etc....then a little explosion. I think the masses tend to forget about the whole combustion thing and what's really going on under the hood. ;-)