Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model X and S line up! Cheaper model X!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my question and concern and i am sure few folks might be in similar situation. I have 75D bought in Sep'2018, the current X is mostly software controlled in addition to price cut. Also the newer X is 72Amp as compared to older X which was rated to 48 Amp.
Here is what i would like to know
1. Can i upgrade my 75D to 100D with the $8K
2. Is the battery swap or upgrade a hardware or software change?
3. Does the fast charging (72 Amp) also is upgraded.

Here is what i would like to know
1. Can i upgrade my 75D to 100D with the $8K
2. Is the battery swap or upgrade a hardware or software change?
3. Does the fast charging (72 Amp) also is upgraded.

1. No... for sure. Tesla, with very rare exceptions, has never done this. And when they have they’ve charged for a whole new battery... 25k-ish

2. Battery swap

3. Not relevant. This won’t happen.

Some of these things are on the main Model S info page (not the order page). You have to click on the "Model S" text at the very top of the front page to get there. But, many of these are actually mentioned right on the ordering pages if you read through them.

My bad! Thank you for pointing out the information I overlooked / didn't dig deep enough to find.

Thanks,
Alan

Reactions: flar
Here in the UK we still only have 100D or P100D for the X.

I priced up the current 100D X with the same options as our original 60D X and was shocked to see a 6 figure price!!!

I love our X but no way on this planet is it a six figure sum car. Infact its exactly 50% more expensive than the 60D X, with the only real difference been the battery pack.

Even with a £8k reduction in price - which might only be £6k after currency changes the entire X range is now very very expensive compared to 2016.

If I was ordering a Tesla now there is simply no way I would consider a X, its just too expensive for what it is. Add on the fact our current car has 'free for life' Supercharging and free connectivity, I cannot see us selling our current X for a new one ever.

For Tesla i suppose its good, more expensive car = more profit, but our 60D X which cost £64k before options looks like a bargain compared to the current 100D X!!

46883378882_3e9e9e0dd0_k_d.jpg

That’s the part that will annoy me. I ordered on 1/25. Confirmed on 1/27. Now finding out the lineup changed.

Does everyone think the 270 range at 8k less is worth the savings?
if the VIN has not been assigned I believe you can cancel the order. I remember when there was a price drop for the model 3 when I ordered it last october, my owner advisor just price matched it instead of me having to cancel and reinput my referral code.

We purchased our X 100D in June, with white interior and all of the features selected (including EAP/FSD) - list price was $117.5K. Taking out the FSD (since that's not currently offered), the non-FSD list price was $114.5K.

The same configuration is now $107K - a reduction by $7.5K. Since we'll get the full $7.5K tax credit and current vehicles would only get $3750, that reduces the price decrease to $3750.

If they've reduced the onboard charger from 72A we have in our X 100D, to 48A today, that option used to cost $1.5K - which reduces the cost reduction to $2250.

Another difference - we were able to get FUSC (Free Unlimited Supercharging) with our X 100D last year - which is no longer offered. Assuming an 8 year lifetime for the vehicle, that's likely an additional $1000 of value - which effectively reduces the price decrease to only $1250.

When we ordered our S 100D in 2017 and our X 100D in 2018, I didn't believe Tesla could continue increasing the prices of the S & X. After ordering our first S P85 in late 2012, Tesla was able to hold the fully configured (non high-performance) price to around $105K - and when they introduced AP, the prices started inching upward - and now they're back to around $105K for a fully configured (non high-performance) model.

While this price decrease may have a small impact on depreciation, it's not that significant for a vehicle in this price range, and wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla try to push prices even lower as other manufacturers get into the market.

Or what we're likely to see is Tesla maintain this price point, and continue to add new functionality - such as increased range with the 2170 batteries, including EAP as standard, and possibly introducing some form of FLSC (Free Limited Supercharging).

However... If we were ordering a new X today, we might seriously consider purchasing the standard range version with the software-limited battery pack. We almost always charge to 90% and only charge above 90% during overnight charging when we're getting to leave home on a road trip. Since the standard range should be able to charge to 100% of the available charge without any risk of damaging the battery, not clear the extra $8000 is worthwhile if it's only used for a few times each year, and save a few minutes at the first supercharger stop...

For experienced Tesla owners, it's possible they will opt for the standard range - and that does result in a significant price drop for the S & X...

Last edited:
Just finished up working w/ my sales rep. Cancelled first order. Created new order. $2500 deposit needed for second order but they are moving over the first $2500 to the new order as well. Essentially making it a $5,000 deposit. Overall happy. More credit card points and saving roughly $9,000 for 25 miles difference.
That's similar to how I was able to put $7500 on a credit card when buying my S ($2500 deposit and moving the $5000 deposit from an X over to it). Congrats!