Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New model X and S line up! Cheaper model X!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s why you always always buy an inventory Tesla, especially performance models.

He didn't buy a performance model. He's just upset that he could've gotten one now with the same money he paid. Granted one with black seats, 5 seats, no autopilot, standard wheels, standard black paint, etc. I mean if you added all the options he added probably more like $128k.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
You're comparing a base level Model X 100D to a fully loaded 100D you bought months ago?

After adding the autopilot, white seats, and seating option, the Model X i ordered at $112k is now $108k. Big whoop. You seem shocked, its like Tesla never lowered the prices of their cars before. I bet you got the full $7500 federal credit as well, now you only get $3750...so calculate that in. Is it really that big of a difference worth crying an ocean over?
Yeah looks like I jumped the gun a bit here. My mistake. A quick read makes it look like a $21K discount. At any rate, here's the breakdown:
Same 100D as ordered today would be $107K, +$3K for FSD +$1K doc fee = $111K. Add to that the $2K discount from the federal credit = $113K. I paid $117K, so it's not as shocking as a $21K switch.

My bad.

After adding the autopilot, white seats, and seating option, the Model X i ordered at $112k is now $108k. Big whoop.
Your math came out way different than mine. Mine was $109,500 in August (X100, Blue, Cloth, 5 seat, 20", EAP). The exact same vehicle is now $95,700, including dest/doc fee. That IS a big whoop: huge price change. Just made all of our Model X's worth about 14K less.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonxt
Your math came out way different than mine. Mine was $109,500 in August (X100, Blue, Cloth, EAP). The exact same vehicle is now $95,700, including dest/doc fee. That IS a big whoop: huge price change. Just made all of our Model X's worth about 14K less.
You forgot a few things. PUP is like $3K more (you don't have PUP). FSD another $3K more. Cloth seats is no longer an option, so that adds a bit to the price, another $3K? That's at least $9K if my math is correct.

You forgot a few things. PUP is like $3K more (you don't have PUP). FSD another $3K more. Cloth seats is no longer an option, so that adds a bit to the price, another $3K? That's at least $9K if my math is correct.

I DID factor in the PUP and FSD (I just dragged out my receipt: my price was actually $106,200 w/o PUP but with FSD: PUP was $5K, FSD was $3K at the time). However, you are correct, I did not notice that the cloth interior is no longer offered: I believe that was $1500 (can't recall) - that makes the comparison WORSE. So comparing apples to apples: $106,200 - FSD + PUP + leather = $109,700 price for same car in August. $109,700 - $95,700 = that means my car is indeed worth $14,000 less than it was yesterday...

Would be worth the $500. Nervous they will want to take my $2500 deposit, then it’s more of a thought process if 5500 is worth the 25 miles.
You should upgrade it. Tesla is desperate for sales right now and will definitely do the right thing. I purchase the 75D last October and have regretted not getting the 100D. With the new price reduction, go big! You will not be sorry. I took my 75D on a road trip over the Christmas holiday from San Francisco to Las Vegas and the supercharging stops really adds up. I was jealous of the Model 3’s.

I agree. Software locked all the way. Essentially no battery degradation for years.

Degradation should be lower because the battery isn't ever charged to 100%. But I don't expect them to "hide" the degradation only in the locked part and keep the unlocked part at a fixed number of miles. If the battery looses 5% overall, I would expect the unlocked part to drop 5% as well.

Degradation should be lower because the battery isn't ever charged to 100%. But I don't expect them to "hide" the degradation only in the locked part and keep the unlocked part at a fixed number of miles. If the battery looses 5% overall, I would expect the unlocked part to drop 5% as well.

So, you’re saying there’s an equal percentage of degradation that the software somehow allocates between the locked and unlocked portion of the battery?.....I highly doubt that. That is not how the software-locked 60 battery worked, and these batteries are not like a fragmented HDD.

I think people just need to accept the fact that if you bought a 75D last week, then you just got screwed. Not only is the battery degradation concern mitigated, this new model will charge to “100%” a lot faster at the supercharger.

I don’t see why anyone would buy the extended range option. The base version should be the overwhelming number one seller followed by the performance version. And the ludicrous is back to being a ludicrously priced option.

Last edited:
Reactions: thisisdiddy
So, you’re saying there’s an equal percentage of degradation that the software somehow allocates between the locked and unlocked portion of the battery?.....I highly doubt that. That is not how the software-locked 60 battery worked, and these batteries are not like a fragmented HDD.

I think people just need to accept the fact that if you bought a 75D last week, then you just got screwed. Not only is the battery degradation concern mitigated, this new model will charge to “100%” a lot faster at the supercharger.

I've read posts here that people with the software locked 60s said there was degradation over time. The "lock" was simply a fixed % of what the BMS is reporting as total available capacity. Of course, nothing I have read is from any official authority.

I agree it will charge faster to 100%. My S100D will stay at top charge rate until somewhere around 85% SOC.

Your math came out way different than mine. Mine was $109,500 in August (X100, Blue, Cloth, 5 seat, 20", EAP). The exact same vehicle is now $95,700, including dest/doc fee. That IS a big whoop: huge price change. Just made all of our Model X's worth about 14K less.
Minimum X100 config today is $96k with no options selected. You are comparing a short range X to your X100, but you need to check off the extended range box to get an X100 which brings the base to $96k. Then adding blue and EAP brings it to $102.5k.

(Update: the new one will have PUP free, but also $3875 less tax incentive...)

I DID factor in the PUP and FSD (I just dragged out my receipt: my price was actually $106,200 w/o PUP but with FSD: PUP was $5K, FSD was $3K at the time). However, you are correct, I did not notice that the cloth interior is no longer offered: I believe that was $1500 (can't recall) - that makes the comparison WORSE. So comparing apples to apples: $106,200 - FSD + PUP + leather = $109,700 price for same car in August. $109,700 - $95,700 = that means my car is indeed worth $14,000 less than it was yesterday...
OK I just configured as close to your car as possible:

100D extended range + EAP + PUP (standard) + black leather standard = $102,500
If I add FSD, it is $3K = $105,500.
If I subtract leather seats, call that $1,500 = $104,000
If I subtract PUP (PUP is about $3K at the end, not $5K) it is $101,000.
Elon took off $2K to account for the loss of 50% federal credit, so if you factor that discount in, you're left with $103,000.

You paid $106,200. The same car with all your options (if those options were available) today is $103,000. A difference of $3,200.

I've read posts here that people with the software locked 60s said there was degradation over time. The "lock" was simply a fixed % of what the BMS is reporting as total available capacity. Of course, nothing I have read is from any official authority.

I agree it will charge faster to 100%. My S100D will stay at top charge rate until somewhere around 85% SOC.

I have a 60d and have had some degradation. It started full charge at 200 miles no full charge is 194ish, so I think it is a percentage.

I have a MX and M3 but honestly the way they are trying to get sales is starting to rub me the wrong way, even though it may be necessary (and must be working because I was waiting for a short range 3 and bought a long range 3)

I mean just in the past 4 months:

After seeing the model 3 sales pitches to order:
- oct 2018: if you want delivery by the end of the year, order now!
- nov 2018: mid range model 3 is now available, order now!
- dec 2018: any Tesla we have in our inventory can be delivered immediately, order now!
- Jan 2018: we just cut prices to counter the tax credit loss, order now!

Then model x:
- we are discontinuing model x 75, if you want a lower priced X, order now!
- A week later: introduces a lower priced X

The range for the new base Model X is more than 90% of the range of the extended range version. So, does the old "set it to charge to 100% because it is software limited" logic still apply, or would you really need to set it to 98% or so to avoid going over 90% real capacity?