Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X and Windshield Protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nev&Co

X60D MC Red. Delivered 12/30/2016
Oct 20, 2016
California
Hi everyone my 7-seater MX 60D is going to be delivered next week (~12/2/16) and I have a few questions about it:

1. What does the new model x come with? I saw from some older posts that the owners got the front upper sunshade for free. Is it still the case?

2. I also came across posts with cracked windshield and learned about the cost which could easily be over $1k. Should I invest in a windshield protective film? Pros and cons for that?

3. I am planning to get the all weather mats from Tesla and I know that the floor and trunk mats are not compatible with vin greater than F022381. My vin is much lower since I reserved it back in August. But I pushed it until now since I was betting that AP2 would be coming soon and it ends up that I was right (very glad about that). My question is will the mats fit my MX? Is it possible that my MX will have a newer backseat setting?

1. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it did indeed come with the sunshade
2. you can get windshield protection film, but since the windshield is so large, it wont cover the whole windshield. The problem with the film is that over a short amount of time, the film can scratch and become hazy from the windshield wipers. its generally not recommended for a daily driver.
3. not sure

I got my MX windshield protected by a thick film (same film with different trade names) and amazingly got a lifelong warranty against any cracks for an one time small fee (<500$). This agency SR International who applies all kind of wraps, films and coatings has done wonderful job on my MX in Calgary, Alberta.

Does the film impact autopilot functionality?
It doesn't interfere with my autopilot. Exxoshield and Cler Plex are manufactured by the same company. Two points worth noting: 1. You may need to replace it every 2 to 3 years as it may turn yellow 2. In case of stone hits, you may not be able to repair the rockchip crack or star crack. Need to remove the film, repair/ replace and then install a new film. I've just installed it. Others who have experience with such film for more than 3 years may comment.

Exoshield and ClearPlex are definitely not manufactured by the same company.
ClearPlex is a patented technology made in the USA by Madico. Targe (targegard.com) pre-molds kits of ClearPlex film to fit specific vehicle windshields, including all Tesla models. Kits significantly lessen the difficulty of installation and risk of film damage.
When to replace the film is dependent upon your driving conditions and maintenance of the film. There are vehicles on the road today with ClearPlex film that is well over 6 years old.
Thank you Targe. Good to hear the life of the film. I've got this installed last week; I'm an user and not ExoShield installer. ExoShield is distributed by Alchemy in California and I saw both the film rolls (new) and looked precisely same to me! Well, my installer told me both are manufactured at the same shop, he could be wrong. Utah may not have those many stone-chip incidents as we've in Alberta.