Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X Plaid with PPF needs major bodywork

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
Went from an older Model S 90D to a Model X Plaid a month ago. Ordered it on a Friday and picked it up a week later. After I picked it up, I brought it straight to get PPF'd and ceramic coated. My installer mentioned how the trunk panel wasn't straight and one of the FWD was rubbing paint off of the quarter panel trim. So I put in a service request that was scheduled a month out.

When I brought it into service, they said it'd be ready tomorrow morning, only to have them call me the same night and say the back trunk lift-gate is actually bent and needs major bodywork. They're going to have to remove the rear trunk glass and take off the spoiler, the spoiler is apparently one time use and will need to be replaced. I said no worries since i'll just get the spoiler re-ppf'd and paint corrected.

When I went to get my loaner car, they told me since the liftgate is bent, they'll most likely take off the trunk ppf to straighten it. I said fine whatever just get it fixed right, but with no eta as to when the car will be fixed my wife said I should ask for compensation for at least the PPF as I just spent 6k on it after paying 175k for the car.

Anyone have any similar experience as to where Tesla had to remove some of the PPF to do body work right after you paid to get the car PPF'd? Did they do anything or is it just I'm SOL?

Thanks...

Hi All,
Went from an older Model S 90D to a Model X Plaid a month ago. Ordered it on a Friday and picked it up a week later. After I picked it up, I brought it straight to get PPF'd and ceramic coated. My installer mentioned how the trunk panel wasn't straight and one of the FWD was rubbing paint off of the quarter panel trim. So I put in a service request that was scheduled a month out.

When I brought it into service, they said it'd be ready tomorrow morning, only to have them call me the same night and say the back trunk lift-gate is actually bent and needs major bodywork. They're going to have to remove the rear trunk glass and take off the spoiler, the spoiler is apparently one time use and will need to be replaced. I said no worries since i'll just get the spoiler re-ppf'd and paint corrected.

When I went to get my loaner car, they told me since the liftgate is bent, they'll most likely take off the trunk ppf to straighten it. I said fine whatever just get it fixed right, but with no eta as to when the car will be fixed my wife said I should ask for compensation for at least the PPF as I just spent 6k on it after paying 175k for the car.

Anyone have any similar experience as to where Tesla had to remove some of the PPF to do body work right after you paid to get the car PPF'd? Did they do anything or is it just I'm SOL?

Thanks...
Highly unlikely. I'd be mainly worried about getting the car repaired correctly in a reasonable period of time. Then take it back to the PPF store and have them do it again. Tesla is not going to pickup the tab for that.