Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TampaY

Supporting Member
Mar 18, 2020
Tampa, FL
Picked up new Model Y Performance in Tampa, about two days ago. Car now has about 130 miles on it and is parked in a sealed garage. Went to drive the car today as I am stir crazy stuck in the house sheltering in place due to the virus. Started driving the car in the driveway... A/C turned off, and the following alerts showed up on console. The car still moved, but felt sluggish and the A/C would keep turning off and on. Now I never got to get rid of my stir crazyness, and I am sad cause the new car is busted. I scheduled a service appointment in the app, but the soonest a tech can get to my house is 12 days, and the soonest I can get into a Tesla service center is 6 days. Am I really out of a car for 6 days? Is there anyone I can call?

I am attaching pics of the errors... I did some googling, and no there are no rodents in my garage.

Image from iOS (5).jpg

Image from iOS (6).jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
That's unfortunate. Sounds like it's DOA, a fine example of the bathtub curve. I hope Tesla resolves this properly.

How few miles did you drive it before this happened?

120 miles total... Today I was going to stretch her legs! Do you know if there is a number I can call, or do I just have to wait until Friday for my service time? Thanks for the help Steve.

I was going to suggest it might be one of those situations where Tesla needs to go in and reset something in the account. I saw where some folks in the past had their blue tooth activation/permission from their cell reset after 24 hours or so... Nevermind, I just looked at the youtube vid, but its about delivery completion/24hour permission that expires and takes away your access to your car.

Lead acid is (nearly) all weather. Lithium is not without extra heating. Of course we’re taliking extremes. But they exist.
I realize that a Tesla's not a spaceship with triple redundancy (that's one of Elon's other companies), but if the 12v battery is such a blatant single point of failure, why not at least have two smaller batteries so that, when one fails catastrophically, the other will let you limp home?

Kind of seems like it does let you limp according to what the op experienced. Probably just isn't common enough to warrant putting 2 12v batteries in. They're heavy, and I wouldn't want to have to replace 2 of those at a few hundred or more a pop every few years if I didn't have to.

Kind of seems like it does let you limp according to what the op experienced. Probably just isn't common enough to warrant putting 2 12v batteries in. They're heavy, and I wouldn't want to have to replace 2 of those at a few hundred or more a pop every few years if I didn't have to.
I kind of wonder why it needs the battery at all, in practice. I mean, if it's dead, it could just use the charger to directly provide 12v power as needed.

Sure, you'd still want to replace the battery at some point, but it shouldn't be a show-stopper. Given how much more power you have in the main batteries, being crippled by this dinky piece of primitive technology seems silly.

I think peoples experience with lead acid batteries needing replacement every 4 years or less is why they think EV batteries won’t last (even though Li Ion are better). Been stranded several times over the years in ice car due to damm lead acid batteries dying an early death. Sucks we can’t get rid of them?

I understand why the Tesla needs a 12V battery, but why lead-acid if a 3rd-party lithium one works?

Seems like I remember a post in the model S forum where someone's electrical system failed and Tesla tried to blame it on the owner recently replacing the lead acid battery with a third party Li battery. Makes me wonder if Tesla won't support it for some reason..