Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They cant do that under the provisions of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

People love to quote that act as if its some end all, be all protection. If you replace your seats with after market ones, and then have a problem with your charging system, then obviously that act would protect you as the seats have nothing to do with the charging system.

If you replace the battery, and then have a problem with the charging system (or anything that is powered by that battery) then that act will not protect you, as tesla can claim that the part you replaced with a non approved part directly caused the issue.

So if there is an electrical problem, and someone replaced the battery with an after market one, and the issue is related to things that happen to get power from the 12v, then yes they can say it is a cause, and no, that act wont protect you.

In that case, one would be prudent to put the original battery back in, before taking the car in to tesla to be serviced in such a situation, but my guess is, they would be able to see it was replaced very easily. These cars log everything.

So if there is an electrical problem, and someone replaced the battery with an after market one, and the issue is related to things that happen to get power from the 12v, then yes they can say it is a cause, and no, that act wont protect you.

In theory they have to prove that your modification caused the issue. But you would probably have to sue them to get there, all the while your car isn't being repaired.

The person that replaced his battery with a lion one also change the cables and the grounding point. Tesla refused to work on the car with the modifications and he ended up shipping the original cables/battery/etc. to Tesla and Tesla returned the car to factory specs before they worked on it. (He said he re-modded the car as soon as he got it back from Tesla.)

Yes, he could have challenged/sued Tesla but that likely would have cost more money, and time, than shipping the original equipment to Tesla and paying for them to return the car to factory spec.

If I was out of my car 6 to 12 days out, I would surely buy a replacement battery and deal with getting the bad one exchanged later. If it turns out not to be the 12 volt battery, I have a spare for future use.

Fred

Update: called Tesla service center for an update today. They said, "car is still in diagnosis with an expected estimated completion of 3pm tomorrow". This is my first Tesla, when they give a service completion estimate do they usually hit it or miss it?

Love the car, I just want to drive it! However, tomorrow will be day 3 in the shop, and my 7th day of ownership. What would you do?

Reactions: Electric Steve
Update: called Tesla service center for an update today. They said, "car is still in diagnosis with an expected estimated completion of 3pm tomorrow". This is my first Tesla, when they give a service completion estimate do they usually hit it or miss it?

Love the car, I just want to drive it! However, tomorrow will be day 3 in the shop, and my 7th day of ownership. What would you do?

I don’t know if they are blowing smoke, or they haven’t even looked at it due to the back log with other issues. But if they can’t tell you, I would opt out of that one due to the Lemon law and get another ride. Let’s hope they understand your concerns about returning the car and they can escalate this repair.

Not sure how far you are away from this Service Center, I would go down there now considering tomorrow is your 7th day.

Fred

I don’t know if they are blowing smoke, or they haven’t even looked at it due to the back log with other issues. But if they can’t tell you, I would opt out of that one due to the Lemon law and get another ride. Let’s hope they understand your concerns about returning the car and they can escalate this repair.

Fred
This is not even close to eligible for Florida's Lemon Law, at this point.
The lemon law gives the manufacturer the right to a final repair attempt after there are 3 repair attempts for the same nonconformity or after the vehicle has been out of service for 15 days or more for the repair of one or more nonconformities.
REASONABLE NUMBER OF REPAIR ATTEMPTS
It is presumed that a reasonable number of repair attempts have been made if, during the Lemon Law Rights Period, either:
1. The same nonconformity has been subject to repair at least three times by the manufacturer or its authorized service agent, plus a final attempt by the manufacturer after receiving the registered or express mail notice from the consumer, and the nonconformity continues to exist; or
2. The vehicle has been out of service by reason of repair of one or more nonconformities by the manufacturer or its authorized service agent for a cumulative total of 30* or more days, exclusive of down time for routine maintenance prescribed by the owner’s manual. The manufacturer must have had the opportunity for a final repair attempt as described above. The 30 and 60 day periods may be extended if repair services are not available because of war, invasion, strike, fire, flood, or natural disaster.

Attachments

• FL-LLsummary.pdf
    96 KB · Views: 46

when you look at the app where is the car? Sitting in the parking lot or in a service bay? I’ve never actually been told this before on either one of my two model S. They can usually run a quick diagnostics and have an idea of what’s wrong at least to start with. If the car is sitting out in the lot I’d say give them another day. I know many service centers are short staffed with the virus. If it’s sitting in a bay. I might push for more answers.

Do you have a voltmeter to check your 12 V battery?

What is the charging % of the traction battery?

Did you try to recharge the traction battery?

Note: An ODB2 App such like Scan My Tesla would be very useful to get some additional information.

It would be very easy for Tesla to add a Diagnostic page on the main panel to display some of the ODB2 information

Thats a tough one. Since tomorrow is your 7th day of ownership, I think if I were in your shoes I would honestly ask to replace the car. Problem is, I doubt they have one of identical spec "laying around" so you might end up having to go back in the queue so to speak. If I was to replace it, I would think that, although teslas policy is to not allow someone to order the same car again, my feeling is the intent is to stop people from rejecting car after car because of (minor to tesla, major to the purchaser) issues.

Since this is a documented issue, and they have been unable to fix it or even tell you what the problem is, I would ask to talk to the manager at the delivery center and explain the issue to them (that the car broke down shortly after getting home, cant be driven, and the SC has not been even able to diagnose the problem), and that I was uncomfortable because the 7 days is up and I have not even had a chance to try out the car, and is there a similar spec vehicle I can replace it with?

Of course, this also depends on how you paid. If you paid cash, not much issue for you, just paperwork for tesla. If you got outside financing, then more of an issue, because they might have to unwind that one, etc etc.

You could always let them fix it as well, thats not a poor choice either... and if this happened for a regular car dealer that would be your only choice. If this happened after week 2, it would also kind of be your only choice... but this is week 1 while you still have an option.

Im not trying to push you either way, just answering fully "what would you do".

The above is likely what I would do.

Reactions: Riguy

Did they give you a loaner? The circumstances may not be the best for driving someone else’s car that many others have driven, but I’d probably ask for one so that 1) I have a way of getting around (again, probably not that important right now unless you’re an essential worker that needs to commute) and 2) there’s skin in the game for Tesla — they need to keep the loaner fleet rotating or they’ll be short of loaners.

Update: Had to text them to get an update as they arent very communicative. Got an update eventually today. They said they had to "Replace the Power Conversion System (PCS)". Also, my phone notified me that they also installed a software update via the app (there were no updates waiting before I dropped the car off). However, new possible time for pickup is now tomorrow.

Update: Had to text them to get an update as they arent very communicative. Got an update eventually today. They said they had to "Replace the Power Conversion System (PCS)". Also, my phone notified me that they also installed a software update via the app (there were no updates waiting before I dropped the car off). However, new possible time for pickup is now tomorrow.
That’s great news! Wonder if this is going to be a problem with all Model Y’s

Fred