Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y - Missing Bolts or Rivets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day everyone,

I was looking under my new Model Y today and noticed there were two holes where I thought either bolts or rivets would be.
Someone on another forum suggested Tesla is price cutting, or streamlining, and not installing bolts or rivets where it was found they're not needed.

Folks who've taken delivery of their Model Y this year, may I please ask you to confirm if you're missing the same bolts or rivets?
Also, if you have any input on why those bolts or rivets may be missing, please let us know.

Thank you

(The holes are right behind both the driver and passenger front tires. I've included photos below.)

Driver Side - Missing Bolt or Rivet.jpg
Passenger Side - Missing Bolt or Rivet.jpg

Thank you for your input, everyone.

I made a service appointment and I was chatting with an advisor via Tesla App text.
They said there should be rivets there. They're sending a Tesla Mobile tech to put some on next week.

I had a Model 3 before, a 2022. And ironically it was missing the rivets there, too.

I think Reddit had folks saying Tesla phased out those rivets for that spot because it didn't really serve a purpose.

Question: I'm assuming there's alot of Teslas on the road without those rivets. The bottom area doesn't really look like it's water-sealed.
Is it safe to say the Teslas out there without those rivets are safe and fine?

My 2023 Model Y LR built in Austin had the wiper arm nut covers missing. Took two trips by mobile techs to come out since the first tech only brought 1 cap. This pic shows 1 installed 1 missing

Attachments

• PXL_20230410_202009143.jpg
    PXL_20230410_202009143.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 133
Thank you for your input, everyone.

I made a service appointment and I was chatting with an advisor via Tesla App text.
They said there should be rivets there. They're sending a Tesla Mobile tech to put some on next week.

I had a Model 3 before, a 2022. And ironically it was missing the rivets there, too.

I think Reddit had folks saying Tesla phased out those rivets for that spot because it didn't really serve a purpose.

Question: I'm assuming there's alot of Teslas on the road without those rivets. The bottom area doesn't really look like it's water-sealed.
Is it safe to say the Teslas out there without those rivets are safe and fine?
Cars are not water tight. That rivet (more so a plastic cap) means very little as for safety

Reactions: ACRei
It is very strange that it's missing. But tbh, it's likely as @eagleray mentioned - intentional.

I'm in week 2 of owning my MYP.

I opened a Service ticket via the App last week, and after a short talk with the nearby SC, they said there should be plastic pop rivets there. They sent a Tesla Mobile Tech to my work today. The tech mentioned not having the rivets won't be a big issue; it should cause no damage to the vehicle. Sure debris or water might get in, but like @Yelobird mentioned, the bottom isn't air sealed, so debris and water would eventually get in there. Still, he installed two for me and checked the rest of the vehicle to make sure it was alright.

Thank you everyone for your input. I hope this helps someone with the same question(s).

It is very strange that it's missing. But tbh, it's likely as @eagleray mentioned - intentional.

I opened a Service ticket via the App last week, and after a short talk with the nearby SC, they said there should be plastic pop rivets there. They sent a Tesla Mobile Tech to my work today. The tech mentioned not having the rivets won't be a big issue; it should cause no damage to the vehicle. Sure debris or water might get in, but like @Yelobird mentioned, the bottom isn't air sealed, so debris and water would eventually get in there. Still, he installed two for me and checked the rest of the vehicle to make sure it was alright.

Thank you everyone for your input. I hope this helps someone with the same question(s).
Any idea what the part number was? I contacted Service and they told me they don’t ship out any parts, but they also wouldn’t tell me what the part number was. Any help?

Good day everyone,

I was looking under my new Model Y today and noticed there were two holes where I thought either bolts or rivets would be.
Someone on another forum suggested Tesla is price cutting, or streamlining, and not installing bolts or rivets where it was found they're not needed.

Folks who've taken delivery of their Model Y this year, may I please ask you to confirm if you're missing the same bolts or rivets?
Also, if you have any input on why those bolts or rivets may be missing, please let us know.

Thank you

(The holes are right behind both the driver and passenger front tires. I've included photos below.)

View attachment 932230View attachment 932231
Where can I find this? The photo shows the missing rivets but you can't see where it is
I'll check with my place to see if it's missing too

Do you have a service ticket that shows the part number that the Mobile Tech used to replace the missing rivets? I'm still looking for the part number so that I can order them myself.