Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This 10mm bolt fell when I took off the wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was swapping out wheels for the first time on my 2021 Model Y with 22k miles. The tires have been rotated before by a tire shop. This is the first time I took off the wheel at home to swap them. I have the OEM 19 inch Gemini wheels.

As I was taking the front left wheel off I hear something drop and hit the inside of the tire then it hit the floor. I find this 10mm bolt on the concrete. It has KXV 5.8 stamped in the head.

Not sure where it came from and I checked my brakes and everything seems to bolted in with open holes.

Wonder if anyone recognizes this bolt and can tell me where it’s home might be. TIA.

IMG_1625.jpeg
IMG_1626.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg

Last edited:
Observation: That bolt has been installed/removed so many times the bolt head is worn. I have no idea where it's from, but I seriously doubt it's a Tesla bolt. I think it was road debris, was somehow lodged between the wheel and the brake assembly until you disturbed it.
Just a WAG, for sure!

It's the bolt that holds the rotor in place for easier assembly. Not critical and you can drive without it.
I agree. I also encountered a loose one on a 2021 MY that has never had the brakes done before. It almost fell out when I was replacing the tires on it. (First tire change for this vehicle, but they have been rotated before) The owner said he had never touched the bolt either.

These rotor set-screws must have been installed loosely on some of the 2021 MYs, is my guess.

Reactions: BlueMX75D
It's likely just the standard 10mm that holds the rotor on. Most people don't reinstall it after the first rotor replacement. Yours fell off and was sitting in the little wheel pockets they have milled out for it in Tesla wheels. It was bouncing around in that little pocket so it looks worn.

Go to 5:55 of this video and you will see him take it off. He doesn't put it back on and uses a lug nut to hold the rotor instead.

Reactions: Pianewman
It's likely just the standard 10mm that holds the rotor on. Most people don't reinstall it after the first rotor replacement. Yours fell off and was sitting in the little wheel pockets they have milled out for it in Tesla wheels. It was bouncing around in that little pocket so it looks worn.

Go to 5:55 of this video and you will see him take it off. He doesn't put it back on and uses a lug nut to hold the rotor instead.

Excellent video for this thread. I took a screen capture of the offending bolt.
Screenshot_20230802_091017_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: P3dStealth