Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MS Front Seats (December 2019-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S configurator has been updated to show a new seat design for Model S. It looks quite a bit thinner than the previous (2018-2019) generation seat.
upload_2019-12-16_17-33-9.png

Has anyone tried this seat out? Know about any cool new features, or whether it's more comfortable than the previous gen seat?

IMO it looks a bit like the Gen 2 seat. Blech. It looks like the headrest can't be adjusted. But hey, if it can be adjusted and the seats are more comfortable, then I'm all for it.

• Informative
Reactions: FutureShock
Seems like the main point of the new thinner front seats was to improve rear seat leg/knee room.

aka what airlines have been doing for awhile now. Well, some of 'em. Others have been using the space savings to jam more rows of seats in. :confused:

Seems like the main point of the new thinner front seats was to improve rear seat leg/knee room.

aka what airlines have been doing for awhile now. Well, some of 'em. Others have been using the space savings to jam more rows of seats in. :confused:

The back seats were already spacious, but adding space is definitely not a bad thing.

About the airlines, well, I think that only the latter applies. They then call 0.4in/1cm thick seat cushions an "improvement". :)

The Model S configurator has been updated to show a new seat design for Model S. It looks quite a bit thinner than the previous (2018-2019) generation seat.
View attachment 488799
Has anyone tried this seat out? Know about any cool new features, or whether it's more comfortable than the previous gen seat?

IMO it looks a bit like the Gen 2 seat. Blech. It looks like the headrest can't be adjusted. But hey, if it can be adjusted and the seats are more comfortable, then I'm all for it.

I have a 2020 Model S Long Range and the headrests do adjust using the same seat control as the lumbar adjustment. You use the main UI to switch between headrest and lumbar adjustment. I think the seats are really comfortable. I don't know about the prior seats because I haven't used them. They seem better than my friend's M3 seats.

I have a 2020 Model S Long Range and the headrests do adjust using the same seat control as the lumbar adjustment. You use the main UI to switch between headrest and lumbar adjustment. I think the seats are really comfortable. I don't know about the prior seats because I haven't used them. They seem better than my friend's M3 seats.

When was your car delivered? Many of the 2020 models still use the "old" front seats. Do they look more like this:
upload_2020-1-21_14-44-1.png

Or like this:
upload_2019-12-16_17-33-9-png.488799

When was your car delivered? Many of the 2020 models still use the "old" front seats. Do they look more like this:
Or like this:

I'm traveling and not with the car right now, so I can't really compare them. I took pictures when the car was delivered and I'd say they look more like the top picture than the bottom picture, but they are not the greatest photos like the marketing ones.

The car was built 11/2019 and delivered to the Service Center early December 2019.

I have both a 2020 MS with the new seats and a year old MS with the previous ones. The seats look very similar but when carefully studying them they are completely different. The cushion assembly/sewing, frames, plastic base covers, hinge covers, back covers, lumbar adjustment - all different.

The actual comfort is similar though. The slightly lower side bolsters on the new ones offer just a fraction more width in the upper seat back - but this is subtle. The measured cushion width on both seats is almost identical. The lumbar on the new ones is an air bladder while the previous ones had a mechanical lumbar - and the lumbar control position on the seat sides is reversed.

New seats have a simpler cushion sewing (old seats actually had two separate pieces making up the seat back cushion) and lack of power headrests make the new ones less expensive to manufacture yet they look almost the same. I can not tell much difference in the “thinness” of the seats and certainly no appreciable differences in rear seat room.

I have both a 2020 MS with the new seats and a year old MS with the previous ones. The seats look very similar but when carefully studying them they are completely different. The cushion assembly/sewing, frames, plastic base covers, hinge covers, back covers, lumbar adjustment - all different.

The actual comfort is similar though. The slightly lower side bolsters on the new ones offer just a fraction more width in the upper seat back - but this is subtle. The measured cushion width on both seats is almost identical. The lumbar on the new ones is an air bladder while the previous ones had a mechanical lumbar - and the lumbar control position on the seat sides is reversed.

New seats have a simpler cushion sewing (old seats actually had two separate pieces making up the seat back cushion) and lack of power headrests make the new ones less expensive to manufacture yet they look almost the same. I can not tell much difference in the “thinness” of the seats and certainly no appreciable differences in rear seat room.
Tesla must have had a reason for this change either cost savings or more efficient to produce. From a consumer prospective it seems much to do about nothing :)

Tesla must have had a reason for this change either cost savings or more efficient to produce. From a consumer prospective it seems much to do about nothing :)

I would agree. It seem more likely a cost savings measure which Tesla is trying to spin as an improvement. We’ve seen this approach used before.

The one piece upholstery on the seat back is much easier to make and the elimination of the power adjustable headrest probably saved a lot. That won’t bother some folks but others have said that really affects their comfort due to the angle of the fixed ones.

I’m not tall or very big and so either design works for me.

I would agree. It seem more likely a cost savings measure which Tesla is trying to spin as an improvement. We’ve seen this approach used before.

The one piece upholstery on the seat back is much easier to make and the elimination of the power adjustable headrest probably saved a lot. That won’t bother some folks but others have said that really affects their comfort due to the angle of the fixed ones.

I’m not tall or very big and so either design works for me.

Good to know, thanks. I do have to say that the power headrest was a great feature. But if it is equally comfortable then that's great, because the seats were super comfy in the 2019 model.

View attachment 488799

I have a 2020 MS built in April 2020 it has the new fixed headrests which for me is a real pain in the neck. I have a big head size 8 1/2 hat size and to keep the headrest from rubbing the back of my head I have to recline the seats too far to be able to drive in an upright position. Tried the ebay pillows they dont help. Did not have this problem on the 2017 MS it had ajustable headrests. Maybe I could buy an older seat and replace this one.