Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MY shipped with low battery coolant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MY, the coolant level can be seen just at the lower edge of the reservoir, below the normal line. I do not see any leaks nor smell any coolant. Time will tell if the level drops. Question is if this is the typical "within tolerance" sort of thing?

PXL_20230211_174338886.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I would open a Service Request and see if Mobile Service can come out to Here to top it off. You didn't mention if you got a message about the coolant being low but you can check the Notifications section to see if there are any alerts.

Thank you. No low coolant notification and I did open a service request, as well as requesting mobile. I was told that I must bring it in. Mobile is not an option.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I did, and all they told me was to bring it in. I was just curious if others have seen the same.
I have a 2021 model 3 that I got delivered end of 2020, so might not be exactly the same (even though from a glance the reservoir looks the same), and I looked at pictures I took recently when I had the frunk tub taken out for something else. Mine is just barely under the max line. My car was parked for a while though when I took the picture, not sure if this changes if you look at it immediately after you drive.

That said, given it's significantly below the normal (or nominal) line and they told you to bring it in, I would guess this is not considered normal.

I'm not familiar with MY (I have MS). Is this reservoir readily visible without taking anything off to uncover it?
You can get a glimpse by taking off the access panel in the frunk:
GUID-524C33FF-D6BD-48DF-94B7-5EE952451C0E-online-en-US.gif

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Seems like OP has a lithium ion low voltage battery. Here's a view with panel off in one of those:
FHul8bjVEAElXu1

To see the line at the angle like in the OP's picture, I believe you have to take out the frunk which involves unbolting a lot of bolts.

In my 2021 Model 3 (with lead acid 12V) that reservoir is in the same location and looks practically like the same part.

Reactions: zoomer0056
You can get a glimpse by taking off the access panel in the frunk:
GUID-524C33FF-D6BD-48DF-94B7-5EE952451C0E-online-en-US.gif

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Seems like OP has a lithium ion low voltage battery. Here's a view with panel off in one of those:
FHul8bjVEAElXu1

To see the line at the angle like in the OP's picture, I believe you have to take out the frunk which involves unbolting a lot of bolts.

In my 2021 Model 3 (with lead acid 12V) that reservoir is in the same location and looks practically like the same part.
Then my next question is what caused @snovvman to take the frunk out on a new MY? No error notices?

My 2020 Model Y coolant overflow reservoir is also filled to just below the Nom line. I inspect the coolant level and brake fluid level every 6 months and have not had any issue. You can check for signs of a coolant leak underneath the Tesla Model Y where you usually park. The coolant is blue, slippery to the touch.

Reactions: Yelobird
Come to think of it, I can’t find detailed coolant fill instructions in the service manual. So what does that “Nom” mean…either the engineer was hungry, or maybe it’s a nominal fill point at a certain temperature? Coolant expands and contracts with temperature.

Come to think of it, I can’t find detailed coolant fill instructions in the service manual. So what does that “Nom” mean…either the engineer was hungry, or maybe it’s a nominal fill point at a certain temperature? Coolant expands and contracts with temperature.
I believe Nom is an abbreviation for Nominal, or hunger pains.

I suggest the fill lines be relabeled Whoa! and Meh.

• Funny
Reactions: TomB985
My Model Y from March 2021 looked pretty much like the picture from @TomB985 above. I didn't mess with it, but did request a check/top-off when I had my car at Tesla for an alignment. I have not pulled the panel to see what it looks like now. I also never got any error messages, so didn't worry too much about it.

Reactions: TomB985