Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not just north of Boston, there is hardly anywhere to publicly charge on southeast Massachusetts. I wouldn't be able to take a Tesla to outer Cape Cod and feel comfortable I would make it back. A supercharger somewhere around Wareham or Plymouth would be nice, Wareham probably better.

From the North drivers could take 495 or 95, even 93 to 24 south, hit the supercharger in Wareham and either continue South down 195/95 towards New York or continue traveling to Cape Cod.

From the South a driver could charge at one of the CT locations, then follow 95 north to Wareham and have plenty to make it to Cape Cod and back or to make it to a potential central NH supercharger.

Once leaving Boston on a New England vacation, it's going to get tough.

The town of Plymouth has a L2 charger and the Natick Mall has a 70A charger. Not sure if those really help...

It's not just north of Boston, there is hardly anywhere to publicly charge on southeast Massachusetts. I wouldn't be able to take a Tesla to outer Cape Cod and feel comfortable I would make it back. A supercharger somewhere around Wareham or Plymouth would be nice, Wareham probably better.

From the North drivers could take 495 or 95, even 93 to 24 south, hit the supercharger in Wareham and either continue South down 195/95 towards New York or continue traveling to Cape Cod.

From the South a driver could charge at one of the CT locations, then follow 95 north to Wareham and have plenty to make it to Cape Cod and back or to make it to a potential central NH supercharger.

Once leaving Boston on a New England vacation, it's going to get tough.
I share your concerns. Apparently Tesla has said they intend to do something about access to the Cape, but there's nothing on the map unless they mean from NYC, in which case the RI one is useful. For anyone from the North and West though, the Cape is really going to be a challenge for at least the next couple of years unless Tesla has something up their sleeves. I'm still waiting for my X, but if the current plans as shown on the map are still in effect a year from now, it's going to be a major problem for me.

- - - Updated - - -

The town of Plymouth has a L2 charger and the Natick Mall has a 70A charger. Not sure if those really help...
It seems to me that for a long range car like the Tesla, L2 charging, unless it's overnight, isn't very attractive as it effectively doubles the travel time or worse.

For Cape Cod, I'd vote for the Starbuck's/Dunkin Donuts in Bourne, just by the bridge (mainland, west side). It's an "EZ-On EZ-Off" location on MA-28 and the bridge, and if you're coming down MA-3 instead, you can just hop on US-6 for a few miles southward.

I've also written to Tesla recommending that they work with the Chatham Bars Inn to get L2 charging there. I've talked directly to the management there, who showed some interest.

Yes, saw that... I was there on New Years day, the site wasn't yet powered up, but I did post pictures:

East Coast Supercharging network - Page 23

I'm charging in East Greenwich now, while getting late lunch at Panera. Very fast - went from 80 rated to over 120 in a little over five minutes - before I got my food. Only one other MS charging at the moment.

sa9y5yze.jpg

For Cape Cod, I'd vote for the Starbuck's/Dunkin Donuts in Bourne, just by the bridge (mainland, west side). It's an "EZ-On EZ-Off" location on MA-28 and the bridge, and if you're coming down MA-3 instead, you can just hop on US-6 for a few miles southward.

I've also written to Tesla recommending that they work with the Chatham Bars Inn to get L2 charging there. I've talked directly to the management there, who showed some interest.

Provincetown! We need Provincetown! L2 destination chargers!

Aaron

I wouldn't complain about that location! Although if making a pit stop before heading over the bridge it would be nice if the dive bar and the blah restaraunt on the other side of Starbucks were replaced with something better! Would be nice to get a good meal before heading the rest of the way down Cape.

The new Hooksett, NH service areas are well underway now on I-93 south of Concord. I keep my eyes peeled for "Tesla" labeled crates every day when I drive by on my way to work lol. Still no sign of anything Tesla in NH. I notice the red dot on the Supercharger map for this area is now gone, but I understand Tesla is still considering this location. Anyone have any updated info on this?

The new Hooksett, NH service areas are well underway now on I-93 south of Concord. I keep my eyes peeled for "Tesla" labeled crates every day when I drive by on my way to work lol. Still no sign of anything Tesla in NH. I notice the red dot on the Supercharger map for this area is now gone, but I understand Tesla is still considering this location. Anyone have any updated info on this?

It makes so much sense to have one north and one south at those newly renovated rest areas. It gives me 30 minutes in the liquor store, those chargers will pay for themselves in liquor sales. Although I can see how this would be an issue for Tesla as they rather promote the superchargers around restaurants and shopping.

It makes so much sense to have one north and one south at those newly renovated rest areas. It gives me 30 minutes in the liquor store, those chargers will pay for themselves in liquor sales. Although I can see how this would be an issue for Tesla as they rather promote the superchargers around restaurants and shopping.

Agreed. The new project is a PERFECT location. There will be so much more than just the expanded liquor outlets...multiple restaurants, NH country store, rest rooms, and upgraded grounds.

photo_e9902e6b-e9d6-4f09-90bf-1c107010f9a6.png

Agreed. The new project is a PERFECT location. There will be so much more than just the expanded liquor outlets...multiple restaurants, NH country store, rest rooms, and upgraded grounds.

View attachment 42200

Sounds great, looking forward to it. It would be a shame to build these nice new facility's and not incorporate Tesla superchargers and the future of driving!

I spoke to a service provider/installer who works with Chargepoint at the MIT energy conference yesterday. I told her a) they need to do a better job of marketing to hotels, informing her of our various experiences lobbying hotels, and b) the Cape desperately needs L2 charging. She said lately she's been working on L3/Chademo installs, and did her first one at UMass Amherst recently which has led to several Leafs popping up on campus.

She wasn't as informed as she should be about Tesla, e.g. she thought the J1772 adapter had to be purchased separately. She even mentioned a $1000 cost, but I explained that was for the Chademo adapter. She also had something interesting to say about the Turnpike service areas. MassDOT was initially pushing back because they didn't want to be seen as catering only to rich Tesla owners. Once they got on board, Tesla then has to deal with the service area operator (Gulf?), so these things take time...

IMO at the I-90/I-84 interchange a lot more traffic heads from the Pike to I-84 than from the Pike to points west and putting a supercharger at the Sturbridge truck stop would have been better.
It is centrally located for both E/W bound traffic (Pilot Flying J). Of course I haven't tried the food there :)

That would work for me. I live in CT. There are three times in my life that I have passed the exit for I-84 on the Mass Pike. 30 years ago I drove from college to Boston, and passed it twice. Last year I made a detour to Springfield on the way home from Maine.

I like the idea of having them on the Mass Pike, but I see the advantage of having one location with twice the stalls to serve both East and West bound traffic. And if they are having trouble getting approvals for the rest areas, that is another good reason to go with the truck stop.

They publicly announced Sturbridge 8 months ago.

That would work for me. I live in CT. There are three times in my life that I have passed the exit for I-84 on the Mass Pike. 30 years ago I drove from college to Boston, and passed it twice. Last year I made a detour to Springfield on the way home from Maine.

I like the idea of having them on the Mass Pike, but I see the advantage of having one location with twice the stalls to serve both East and West bound traffic. And if they are having trouble getting approvals for the rest areas, that is another good reason to go with the truck stop.

They publicly announced Sturbridge 8 months ago.
Sturbridge is a problem because there are a number of times when lots of people are travelling (Thanksgiving) where there might be a major delay getting off the Mass Pike at Sturbridge. If you are only getting off to charge and would otherwise drive straight through, that will be a real pain.

Just sent this to [email protected] We need all the NE vacationers to do the same (but write your own letter ;-)), and maybe they will see that there is a great potential market here.

I just bought my Tesla and I am in my very excited phase, telling all my friends about it until it arrives in April. I have many friends who are possible buyers, but there is a consistent reason why they all say "no thanks." That is, the inability to travel to major destinations in New England. As you know Bostonians like to travel in the winter to ski, and in the summer to vacation. They ski in Northern VT, New Hampshire, the Berkshires and Maine. They summer in Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard, the northern lakes region, the Berkshires, and the coast of Maine.

The Tesla Supercharger network completely misses almost all of these destinations. Here are my suggestions:

1. Skiing in New Hampshire/summer in Lake Winnepesauke, Squam Lake: It is essential to have a supercharger for this purpose in TWO locations: 1. Concord, NH and West Lebanon, NH. Rumor has it that these are planned, but the map only shows West Lebanon. Without Concord, it is impossible to get up to the Lakes region and to North Conway, etc.

2. Cape Cod/MV/Nantucket: You definitely should put a supercharger in Cape Cod. Ideally, in either Woods Hole and Provincetown, or at or between the Bourne and Sagamore bridges.

3. Maine: Please ut a supercharger near Bar Harbor or Freeport.

4. The Berkshires. You definitely need a supercharger in Sturbridge to catch the westbound travelers AND to boost New Yorkers headed for the rest of New England. One in Springfield would also help.

Thanks for listening.

Just sent this to [email protected] We need all the NE vacationers to do the same (but write your own letter ;-)), and maybe they will see that there is a great potential market here.

I just bought my Tesla and I am in my very excited phase, telling all my friends about it until it arrives in April. I have many friends who are possible buyers, but there is a consistent reason why they all say "no thanks." That is, the inability to travel to major destinations in New England. As you know Bostonians like to travel in the winter to ski, and in the summer to vacation. They ski in Northern VT, New Hampshire, the Berkshires and Maine. They summer in Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard, the northern lakes region, the Berkshires, and the coast of Maine.

The Tesla Supercharger network completely misses almost all of these destinations. Here are my suggestions:

1. Skiing in New Hampshire/summer in Lake Winnepesauke, Squam Lake: It is essential to have a supercharger for this purpose in TWO locations: 1. Concord, NH and West Lebanon, NH. Rumor has it that these are planned, but the map only shows West Lebanon. Without Concord, it is impossible to get up to the Lakes region and to North Conway, etc.

2. Cape Cod/MV/Nantucket: You definitely should put a supercharger in Cape Cod. Ideally, in either Woods Hole and Provincetown, or at or between the Bourne and Sagamore bridges.

3. Maine: Please ut a supercharger near Bar Harbor or Freeport.

4. The Berkshires. You definitely need a supercharger in Sturbridge to catch the westbound travelers AND to boost New Yorkers headed for the rest of New England. One in Springfield would also help.

Thanks for listening.
I agree with all this except the one(s) for the Cape. Just one at the canal would be enough I'd think. The problem with Woods Hole and Provincetown is they've way out of the way for people going to most of the Cape, e.g. Hyannis, Chatham, Eastham, etc. It's only 65 miles from the canal to Provincetown, so a round trip would leave plenty for local driving.

I've written with a couple of suggestions for Cape supercharging and got back a boilerplate response. We'll see, but I totally agree that without New England vacation area coverage, there's going to be a real barrier to Tesla sales here.

Thanks for encouraging me to write. I send the following under the subject: Supercharger Priorities for New England
Sorry for the lack of support for Cape Cod, Manchester/Concord/Portsmouth; just calling it as I see it.

I took delivery of my Model S (P26474) on 16 Dec 2013, and am very excited about and pleased with my purchase. A key element in my choice was the promise of superchargers serving the east coast up to New England, where much of my family lives. In discussions with friends who are interested in the Model S, this looms large in their considerations as well. We are all encouraged by the completion of the coast to coast network and understand how important that is to Tesla nationwide. Still, we have some concerns that the east coast seems to be lagging a bit in the grand scheme.

Annapolitans like myself and others in the mid-coast region love to travel to New England in the winter to ski, and in the summer to vacation. We ski in Northern VT, New Hampshire, the Berkshires and Maine. We summer in Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard, the lakes region, and on the coast of Maine. Some of us are interested in reaching into the maritime Canadian provinces.

To facilitate this, the following locations seem to be the most crucial:

0. Nanuet, NY (end of Garden State Parkway) is a nexus of traffic crossing the Tappan Zee bridge and continuing into Connecticut from NJ and upstate NY.

1. Sturbridge to Worcester MA is essential for travel from the mid coast to northern New England and beyond.

2. Portland, ME or Freeport ME would provide extensive shopping opportunities while charging.

3. Lebanon NH should serves as gateway to VT mountains and Lake Champlain, and even Montreal, QC.

4. Plymouth, NH should be a gateway to the NH mountains and Lakes region, and Sherbrook QC.

5. Bangor, ME to Old Town, ME would be the next stop to the Maritime provinces via Frederickton NB or Saint John NB.

Some sites I have seen mentioned seem less crucial to me:

E. Greenwich seems to provide adequate service to Cape Cod, so I don't see the need for more in that area.

Also, Concord Manchester and Portsmouth seem to be destinations rather than charging sites, nicely bracketed by Worcester to the south and Lebanon, Plymouth or Portland to the north.

Similarly, Bar Harbor is a destination rather than a transit point, and would be accessible from Portland or Freeport.

Best wishes to you for continued growth and prosperity as you develop the supercharger network and more models that will depend on it.

Thomas E Moore
Annapolis, MD 21401