Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner - a couple of newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question was about electrical code compliant which is for safety. The to answer your question of "why", the simple answer is cost. Builders save money by wiring 30A circuits to NEMA14-50 outlets in the laundry rooms. It's code compliant and practically any dryer on the market will work because manufacturers make them compatible with 30A sockets too (notice that the dryer doesn't come with a plug typically). The difference in wiring cost between 30A and 50A can be as much as $2 per foot (4 wires * 0.50 per foot), so on a 50 foot run the builder saves $100. My original point was that when adding one for a Tesla, pay the $2 per foot more up front as it's way cheaper than upgrading later, if needed.

You have one in your house? That does not mean its universally done or acceptable. Sorry. I didn't glean from your recommendation that you were encouraging the owner to put the larger gauge wire in, in the first place. I read it as you were saying don't do it. Sorry. My misreading, I guess. Not worth the effort to cover it all again.

My house was built brand new by a professional national builder and they wired by electric range using a nema 14-50 outlet to a 40A circuit breaker. it never gets used cuz i have gas but its there. I think its only 8 gauge wire though so it wouldn't support a 50 amp circuit. I'm assuming when they built it and got it inspected everything was code.

My house was built brand new by a professional national builder and they wired by electric range using a nema 14-50 outlet to a 40A circuit breaker. it never gets used cuz i have gas but its there. I think its only 8 gauge wire though so it wouldn't support a 50 amp circuit. I'm assuming when they built it and got it inspected everything was code.
By code in most places in the US you need 6 gauge for 50A circuit (and therefore 50A fuse).

Let me know what you think of my youtube video - Tesla in Houston, TX:

I am getting my windows (not windwhield) with Suntek Ceramic IR on Friday...I will post another video of that experience as well to try to get my 3 referrals for the Arachnid wheels!
IMG_4745.JPG