Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner - a couple of newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

Will be picking up a (new to me) 2016 Model S 75 (RWD) on Saturday!

Beyond excited. Will post pics/impressions on the forums once I have it.

In the meantime, I was thinking ahead and had a few questions for you Tesla vets:
  1. Have any of you purchased the all-weather floor mat set from Tesla? I'm assuming it fits well, being OEM and all. Worth it?
  2. Anyone have a screen protector over their main display screen in their Model S? If so, any recommendations on the best one, in your experience?
  3. Maintenance Plan; my vehicle has 9k miles on it. So still below, but approaching the first maintenance milestone at 12.5k. Wondering if I should just get the maintenance plan from the get go. Thoughts?
  4. Thinking of taking it to my local Tesla store for a checkup once I get it. Is that necessary or am I thinking too much in old ICE terms?
  5. Any must-dos or most-haves that I, as a first-time Tesla owner, should be aware of?
Thank you!

I'll let owners comment on most of these, but number 4, that's where you are picking it up from, right? Aren't you getting it from the Tesla Service Center? I assume Owings-Mills? That's where any issues you find on delivery should be noted then for being taken care of on the spot or later, if needed. (See the delivery subforums for checklists, if you like.)

Reactions: Kross and Algbc
Have any of you purchased the all-weather floor mat set from Tesla? I'm assuming it fits well, being OEM and all. Worth it?

Yes, I did. Very well worth it. So easy to clean: take it out and hose it with water and dry in the sun.

Anyone have a screen protector over their main display screen in their Model S? If so, any recommendations on the best one, in your experience?

None for me.

Maintenance Plan; my vehicle has 9k miles on it. So still below, but approaching the first maintenance milestone at 12.5k. Wondering if I should just get the maintenance plan from the get go. Thoughts?

If you are like me who faithfully bring my car in as recommended, then it's a discount to pre-pay.

If you don't, then don't bother.

Thinking of taking it to my local Tesla store for a checkup once I get it. Is that necessary or am I thinking too much in old ICE terms?

You might as well for the peace of mind and this should count as 12.5k annual inspection.

Any must-dos or most-haves that I, as a first-time Tesla owner, should be aware of?

Learn how many rated miles is consumed with your driving style and compare it with actual distance so you won't run out of battery.

Did your do your required reading:

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

• Helpful
Reactions: Kross and Pdxdesign
My personal opinions:
1) I purchased the Tesla all-weather floor mats and LOVE them! The floor mats that came with the car were my actual biggest disappointment with the car. Yes, they are expensive. Still, I think they are worth it.
2) I did a little research on a screen protector, but never actually purchased one. In 3+ years of ownership, I've never actually needed them.
3) I purchased the maintenance plan and am so glad that I did. However, the provisions have changed significantly since then, and so I would suggest that you get other opinions. It was definitely worth it for me (I live on Maui and there is no service center to drive to. We have a ranger that does the servicing. I purchased "unlimited ranger service", which doesn't exist anymore).
4) Probably not necessary, but if it provides you peace-of-mind, go for it.
5) If the windows aren't tinted, tint them. Don't cheap out, get the high quality ceramic tint - it's worth it.

Enjoy! Driving a Tesla is the most fun I get on a daily basis - make the most of it!

Reactions: Kross and Akikiki
I'll let owners comment on most of these, but number 4, that's where you are picking it up from, right? Aren't you getting it from the Tesla Service Center? I assume Owings-Mills? That's where any issues you find on delivery should be noted then for being taken care of on the spot or later, if needed. (See the delivery subforums for checklists, if you like.)
Actually, I'm getting it from another dealership (not CPO). Got a too-good-to-pass-up deal, haha.

So, the take-aways are:
  1. Worth it.
  2. Not necessary; hold off and see if I want it.
  3. If I'm going to be diligent about maintenance, I might as well pre-pay for a small discount.
  4. Not necessary, but not a bad idea; can count as first 12.5k maintenance.
THANK YOU ALL!

Order your matte version screen protector from AbstractOcean.com While there, get a set of the license plate bulbs and put the better ones in your car. Also get a set of the ultra bright LED lights for your trunk. Much better lighting.
I got my thick logo mats at ForMyTesla.com. Look around. There's lots of choices.
Acho is correct. Be sure you get adequate charging and maximize your charging with a NEMA 14-50 outlet on a 50 amp circuit.
The prepaid annual service plan will save you money in the long run. Don't skimp on the annual service. Its an expensive car. Do your part to protects your investment. Other than tires, the annual service is all that you will probably pay for during the year.

Actually, I'm getting it from another dealership (not CPO). Got a too-good-to-pass-up deal, haha.
Gotcha! I'd really make sure it's checked out, then, unless someone Tesla-savvy has been over it. We've seen horror stories of what dealers who have no clue about Teslas and reselling them. Especially if it's a road trip deal!

First and foremost get your charging ready by the time you pick up the car. Either a NEMA-14-50 outlet on a 50A circuit, or get an HPWC installed. Do not assume you'll be fine with 110V standard plug charging - most people need more than 3miles/hour.

PS) since this is not a CPO, make sure the Mobile Connector comes with the car with the required adapters.

1. Have any of you purchased the all-weather floor mat set from Tesla? I'm assuming it fits well, being OEM and all. Worth it?
yes I purchased a full set from Aftermarket Tesla Accessories, Gear, Center Console, parts for Model S FOR $500.00 and I'm very happy with them.
you can also find screen protector from evannex, which has really helped my OCD (lol) I also got my self a driver Instrument Panel Screen Protector from amazon. Topfit Instrument Panel Screen Protector for Tesla Model S, Accessories - Amazon Canada
also if you can, invest on a good dashcam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kross
Suggest you add Plugshare to your mobile phone. With this app, you can identify all types of chargers available in an area, not just SuperChargers and the app grays out those that are in use. Very useful when you are traveling in an area that does not have SuperChargers.

Since it appears you already will have a Chademo adapter (fast charger public standard), you might also look into a subscription service from one of the firms that has a number of Chademo chargers in the area. At the very least, set up accounts with the most prevalent ones in your area (for me it's EvGo and Chargepoint). Makes it more convenient when you go to use their chargers around town.

Suggest you add Plugshare to your mobile phone. With this app, you can identify all types of chargers available in an area, not just SuperChargers and the app grays out those that are in use. Very useful when you are traveling in an area that does not have SuperChargers.

Since it appears you already will have a Chademo adapter (fast charger public standard), you might also look into a subscription service from one of the firms that has a number of Chademo chargers in the area. At the very least, set up accounts with the most prevalent ones in your area (for me it's EvGo and Chargepoint). Makes it more convenient when you go to use their chargers around town.

THANK YOU! Just downloaded Plugshare. Awesome app! I will be using it to map out coffee/charging stops on the route home from the dealership (400 mile trip). Also, didn;t know about having to register with charging orgs to use chargers (first time EV owner; can ya tell?!) glad you brought that up. Will do more research.

The all weather floor mats fit nicely BUT if you get the one for the well in the trunk test it first and see if you like it. I don't think it's a good fit, although the larger mat for trunk is good. I may have gotten the wrong one, but I don't remember if there was an option.

Good point! I'll test out the trunk mat. I'm a huge fan of all weather trunk mats; have saved me from spilled liquids many times before in other cars. So will definitely get that too.

So, unbeknownst to me, I cannot get the Maintenance Plan because I am either
(A) Not the original buyer (I'm purchasing it used) or
(B) I am not buying it from a Tesla CPO program (the vehicle was traded in at a non-Tesla dealership and they put it up for sale from their end, at an insanely good price).

The Tesla Service Center person I spoke with, did not specify which of the points were the main reason. Perhaps both? Oh well, I guess I can just pay slightly more and just do the services a la carte.

I agree with most of the comments here. The big disagreement is charging at home. If you regularly stay at home for >10 hours you don't need 50 amps. I have a 30A connection, so charge at around 23 Amps (you actually get about 80% of rated amps because EV charing is a continuous load. Anyway, if there is free fast charging in your building I'd just do a modest charge nearly every day, depending on how much you drive each day.

You'll soon learn about all kind of charging choices. Given your location you have lots of Supercharger choices for trips, and a plethora of other options. Since you already have the Plugshare app you'll soon be able to find anything relevant very easily.

Have fun!

I chose the EV Annex screen protector. I'd have one, mostly to reduce glare. I also have the Tesla mesh covers for sunroof and rear window, which greatly reduce glare on very sunny days. Most people seem not to bother, but I found them to be indispensable.