Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Owner and Maybe Missing Something About Playing Songs on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased my model S yesterday and have a few questions about music on it.

I am an Apple Music user and understand the limitations on IOS with Tesla. My question is there a way for me to play a song from my iPhone on my Tesla by using voice command?

I tried it using the native Tesla way, "Play Rolling Stones Paint it Black", and it would play the song. Not sure what service it is using for this. I also found that it was limited when I would ask it to play other songs. For instance, "Play Dave Matthews Crash" and it would just play a random Dave Matthews song.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I searched and did not find it.

I just purchased my model S yesterday and have a few questions about music on it.

I am an Apple Music user and understand the limitations on IOS with Tesla. My question is there a way for me to play a song from my iPhone on my Tesla by using voice command?

I tried it using the native Tesla way, "Play Rolling Stones Paint it Black", and it would play the song. Not sure what service it is using for this. I also found that it was limited when I would ask it to play other songs. For instance, "Play Dave Matthews Crash" and it would just play a random Dave Matthews song.

Sorry if this has been answered before but I searched and did not find it.

Not by using Tesla's built-in voice command. You can still control your phone's music via bluetooth and invoke Siri for voice-control. But you have to have your phone selected as the media source.

When you ask Tesla to play a song, it uses Slacker or Spotify (depending on geographic region, for US it is Slacker) to search their database and play that song that then a playlist based off of that song. Due to the license agreement with Slacker, you can only request a song be played once within a 24-hour period or so (some have reported shorter) which is why when you requested Crash it may have had an error initially (still counts as a song play) and just skipped the song for the playlist instead.

Not by using Tesla's built-in voice command. You can still control your phone's music via bluetooth and invoke Siri for voice-control. But you have to have your phone selected as the media source.

When you ask Tesla to play a song, it uses Slacker or Spotify (depending on geographic region, for US it is Slacker) to search their database and play that song that then a playlist based off of that song. Due to the license agreement with Slacker, you can only request a song be played once within a 24-hour period or so (some have reported shorter) which is why when you requested Crash it may have had an error initially (still counts as a song play) and just skipped the song for the playlist instead.

Thanks for the reply on this. So I can use the Tesla voice button to have Siri play a song if connected to BlueTooth? I guess I don't know what the voice command is to get it to trigger Siri.

I wish I was a millennial.

Sorry, this was the part I was confused on, "Not by using Tesla's built-in voice command. You can still control your phone's music via bluetooth and invoke Siri for voice-control. But you have to have your phone selected as the media source."

The invoking Siri for voice-control was the part I was asking about.

You can just say “hey Siri” as if the phone is not connected to anything and it will work. Occasionally Siri will answer “you have to unlock your iPhone first.”

90% of the time the face recognition works for me. I keep my phone on a magnetic mount just to the left of the MCU.

Reactions: jorobsand