Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner of Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my P90DL in Vancouver with dual chargers on September 4th, and I had an HPWC installed at home at the same time. The dual chargers are a great investment: my charge time after my 40 km daily commute is typically around 15 minutes.

If your commute is only 40km I would think you would be the last person to need dual chargers, heck you could trickle charge and be fine. It's the road trips where they come in handy, or that rare time when you drive a lot during the day, pop home for dinner, and then are out again in the evening.

If your commute is only 40km I would think you would be the last person to need dual chargers, heck you could trickle charge and be fine.

Yeah, that's why my Smart ED charges at 120V 12A, that's all I need to refill it every day.

Installed 40A receptacle beside the house to max out our Tesla (with single charger), but right now we're at 32A due to the limitations of the 14-50 adaptor that came with the UMC. If a newer generation HPWC comes out, I'll wire that up instead of the 14-50...

I picked up my P90DL ..
This naming is getting a little verbose, isn't it - as your car is a MS P90DL. How many more letters and numbers can we throw together. Mine is currently a MS P85D but after I get the ludicrous upgrade I will have a MS P85DL or is it the MS P85D? But do we still need the P - can you have the L without the P? How about L90D? And is the L possible on RWDs or only on AWDs? If it is only on Ds then we can shorten down to L90.

You're right- I got the duals more for (1) those long trips (I want to minimize charging time to the fullest extent possible), and, (2) as you say, those crazy days when I am in and out after dinner, as I undertake a lot of client entertainment events in the evening. I have another home where this does not occur so much and there I just went with the 14-50 outlet, using the UMC. Works like a charm!

- - - Updated - - -

I would vote for L90. Very simple.

Well, as someone who does this every day, I can tell you that's pretty extreme It does not take 30 seconds. I park. I open the door from the touch screen, grab the adapter from the cupholder on my way out the door, take the plug, plug it into the port with the adapter... it's really not much extra time. Maybe an extra second or two to get the adapter to line up.

To each his own. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's not a mountain, but it's certainly not a molehill. I occasionally plug in at the office (when extremely cold, so I can pre-heat from the mains), and it definitely is more of a hassle.