Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New owner - several questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there- just picked up my new refresh deep blue P90D before the weekend. Amazing car at an amazing price - perfectly suited for Hong Kong. No idea why I didn't grab one earlier. It supplements my 991 C4S for now but, at least for Hong Kong driving, I see zero advantages for the Porsche now...

The S was an impulse purchase: lucked out on finding an incoming car in the perfect spec three weeks ago on a random walk-in to Wan Chai showroom. Car landed two weeks ago and was in my hands a week after. Only options missing are subzero and high amp charger.

With that in mind, most of my prior research on Teslas was for North American spec vehicles (as I've had an order on an X in Canada for a while now, delivery expected in September), so do have a few questions re: Hong Kong spec vehicles.

1) LTE. Was surprised to see it's still a 3G connection and was wondering if something is incorrectly configured or if HK spec vehicles still do not have LTE. Several members have noted the lack of LTE retrofit for older cars on this board but I wasn't sure if that meant no LTE at all in HK even for new cars?

2) Charging - obviously very different to NA charging. I received the blue Mennekes charging cable as well as the BS1363 Tesla UMC. Should I still expect to receive a Wall Connector?
The DES did make mention that a Wall Connector would be mailed out and inquired if I needed help arranging installation but I was under the impression that was a stop-gap measure as HK vehicles did not include a BS1363 connector initially.

3) High Amp Charger Upgrade. I've read and read the thread on HK charging standard but can't wrap my head around the whole 3-phase charging thing. In North America, we get a 48A charger standard and a 72A upgrade. Same hardware, different software, so the 72A upgrade can be unlocked at any time for additional cost (as noted on the configuration page).

The HK configuration page still makes mention of there being a 72A charging upgrade, which makes sense, as described: 24A x 3 phase = 72A. However, no subtext noting if it can be upgraded after delivery. Does anyone know if it would require a hardware change as with the twin chargers?

Further, would you guys say if the high amp charger upgrade is necessary? Obviously, everyone's situation is different, but the consensus on this forum was that the twin chargers was an absolute must on pre-refresh cars. Not sure if the standard charger hardware changed at all with refresh cars as they did on NA vehicles (40->48A)? Question is, with a refresh car, would you say it's still advisable to get the charger upgrade (if possible)?

4) Autotoll tag - seems consensus is that the best (only?) place to put it is on the black bit next to the rear view mirror? Seemed to only work there at low speeds, not sure if there's a better place for it now that there's no nosecone.

5) What should be included with the car. I received two keys (one with a nice chip on the side...), two leather key cases, Tesla UMC, blue Mennekes cable, box of cables/adapters for the blind holster phone mount, first aid kit and tow eye. Delivery seemed very rushed so DES did not go over much of anything. Oh - was promised an umbrella next time I show up. Curious what you guys received with your cars, both essential and non-essentials?

Thank you so much for any input!

Attached several pictures because, well, everyone likes pictures :)
13838483_10153883346783507_1391260341_o.jpgIMG_5974.jpeg IMG_5995.jpeg IMG_5996.jpeg

Last edited:
1) Yep 3G was what I got too and DS said that's the hardware even on facelift version
2) Everyone gets a Type 2 Mennekes. Additionally DS said it was a choice between UMC or Wall Charger but cannot give me both for free. As the Wall Charger is far more pricey I chose that and separately bought the Mennekes Euro plug (HKD1707) from them instead of the Tesla UMC which is around 4k.
3) Not necessary for high amp upgrade - using the Type 2 plugs (around 32km/h) while parking during work and Superchargers (over 300km/h) during weekends is plenty fast.
4) Place the autotoll tag vertically so it is fully exposed by the black bit. Ignore the Autotoll advice to put it horizontally, half exposing it.
5) I didn't get the phone holder so you already got more than me.

1) i dont think anyone in hong kong has LTE in their cars, or heard of anyone modding it aftermarket. but then again, one can remove internet speed bottleneck by upgrading to LTE, or just banning the internet browser (hey, the calendar app too) out right. unfortunately the hong kong situation ended up with the latter approach, at least for now. for just spotfiy and navigation together, its fast enough with some delay, but it's hard to tell if it's a combination of internet speed/ ping/ car console prosessor power.

2) and 3) my 70D is older-gen with the black nose cone, i did not go for the double charger option, and my car came with the HPWC wall charger along with the blue cable. i think different buyers received different package of acessories depending on the time that you order/paid etc.

since i can install the charger and charge at home, it's perfect - the charger pushes single phase 40A, which translates to 42-44km of range per hour. i set my car to only charge to 82ish % since i dont need so much, i've only charged it to 95% once when it was a day going from Sai Kung -> tin shui wai -> tuen mun -> yuen long -> kwun tong -> aberdeen -> central/ wan chai -> sai kung, and it used a total of 70% charge that day. i see no reason to go for the double charger option for the average hong kong user, since you either get it filled up overnight at home, or rely on the superchargers, which bypasses the whole mechanism and just charges via DC anyway.

the next gen (your version) accepts a higher 48A instead of 40A i think, so it's already an improvement. the double charge option would only be beneficial if you're always limited by charging time at home. There aren't many public chargers at >40A anyway so there probably aren't a lot of places you can take advantage of the double charger option. (somebody pls correct me on this point if i'm wrong).

5) my car key's slipped out of the black leather pouch once since it's only held in by friction. i've slipped in a layer of card to bigger the key so it rests against the pouch better, and it hasn't slipped since. oh, and one of my car keys came with a battery that died within 3 days, but that's no biggie either.

Good to know re: LTE. Indeed, given the lack of browser it isn't a big deal. Just making sure nothing was wrong with my car.

Looks like I got the short end of the stick being just given the UMC instead of having the choice of Wall Connector or UMC. May have to speak with my DES and see what my options are.

I do have the autotoll stuck vertically so it's entirely on the black bit, but it still seems on and off... I'll try to slow down even more going through the lane.

Thanks for the advice on the key case. Bought a FobPocket so no concerns there. Tied the E-charge RFID card on the Tesla key case and left it in the car so it won't go anywhere.

Yes I wasn't too surprised at how rushed delivery was considering the huge number of cars there... but still disappointed.

Thank you all!

On Autotoll tag, I know there is a box-liked external module tag you can request from Autotoll for cars with uv filter windscreen (which blocks out most radio signals). This module can be attached to your car's frontal air inlet mesh.

You can see this on many Bentley, RR, Maybach, etc. with fancy windscreens...

Perhaps one option you want to explore.

PS. though given the facelifted MS' air inlet is at the lower / apron spoiler level, so one would need to try to see if the positioning works... otherwise you can stick (very unsightly) it on the nose of the car...

High Amp Charger Upgrade: The answer depends on where and how you would charge your car, at home? at office? at supercharger? And what kind of charger do you have at your office? If you have access to a 3-phase charger most of the time, you can save some charging time by having this upgrade. If you don't have access to a 3-phase charger often / you don't need higher charging speed, why bother to have the upgrade?

Autotoll: Mine is a pre-facelift version, so I have nothing to share on the best place for the tag. But you don't have to slow down when passing through the toll booths, just drive at your usual speed. If they can't detect your tag, they will still be able to charge you by your license plate (captured by their CCTV system), and they will let you know if that happens for a few times. Then you will know you need to consider other options / places to put the tag. (What's the point of using autotoll if you have to slow down every time...)

I received no phone mount / umbrella, I also got less than you

1) i dont think anyone in hong kong has LTE in their cars, or heard of anyone modding it aftermarket. but then again, one can remove internet speed bottleneck by upgrading to LTE, or just banning the internet browser (hey, the calendar app too) out right. unfortunately the hong kong situation ended up with the latter approach, at least for now. for just spotfiy and navigation together, its fast enough with some delay, but it's hard to tell if it's a combination of internet speed/ ping/ car console prosessor power.

2) and 3) my 70D is older-gen with the black nose cone, i did not go for the double charger option, and my car came with the HPWC wall charger along with the blue cable. i think different buyers received different package of acessories depending on the time that you order/paid etc.

since i can install the charger and charge at home, it's perfect - the charger pushes single phase 40A, which translates to 42-44km of range per hour. i set my car to only charge to 82ish % since i dont need so much, i've only charged it to 95% once when it was a day going from Sai Kung -> tin shui wai -> tuen mun -> yuen long -> kwun tong -> aberdeen -> central/ wan chai -> sai kung, and it used a total of 70% charge that day. i see no reason to go for the double charger option for the average hong kong user, since you either get it filled up overnight at home, or rely on the superchargers, which bypasses the whole mechanism and just charges via DC anyway.

the next gen (your version) accepts a higher 48A instead of 40A i think, so it's already an improvement. the double charge option would only be beneficial if you're always limited by charging time at home. There aren't many public chargers at >40A anyway so there probably aren't a lot of places you can take advantage of the double charger option. (somebody pls correct me on this point if i'm wrong).

5) my car key's slipped out of the black leather pouch once since it's only held in by friction. i've slipped in a layer of card to bigger the key so it rests against the pouch better, and it hasn't slipped since. oh, and one of my car keys came with a battery that died within 3 days, but that's no biggie either.

There are many 3 phase 32A public chargers nowadays and here dual charger Model S can charge up to 100km/hr. Only slower that Supercharge and Chademo.

I got one of the first of the new look Model S, and one of the last 70Ds (I ordered before the refresh was announced, and before they decided to switch to 60/75/90). No umbrella for me. I got a blue Mennekes cable, the cupholder inserts for the centre console, and a docking station for a phone to install into the centre console (without instructions!! WTF??)

I have installed my Autotoll tag vertically in the space by the rear-view mirror. As mattse rightly says, sometimes it registers, sometimes it doesn't - and sometimes it registers so late that the green light can only be seen by those in the rear seat - but so far I haven't received a bill so I assume they simply record the car's registration plate, see that the car is registered with Autotoll, and charge the Autotoll account regardless. Fine by me :)