Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is ludiscrous, and obviousley from a car dealer, how about just keeping the %25 margin and cutting out useless parasites on society? I doubt this will get many signatures, lets look up, this imbecile.. he's the only one who's signed it, lol

creator
J. T.
Atlanta, GA
June 28, 2013
Signature # 1 ..

we petition the obama administration to:
Prevent Tesla from bypassing laws designed to protect the consumer & the effort to increase their profit to 50% per car.
Elon Musk has begun a campaign to sell Tesla directly to consumers with no competition, thereby increasing his profit per vehicle from 25% per sale to 50% per sale.

Franchise laws are designed to prevent this type of price gouging and we are committed to requiring Tesla and Elon Musk to adhere to these laws just like every other Auto Manufacturer must adhere to these laws.

Read for yourself about Elon Musk's desire to gouge customers of this new technology to a 50% gross margin:

Musk Says Tesla Gross Margin to Approach Porsche’s - Bloomberg

Created: Jun 28, 2013

Signed by 1 person! (the author I assume)

Gotta love the logic. We can't allow a company to sell you a car because they will charge too much and you will still buy it. Is there a law to stop Mercedes from increasing the cost of the S class $10,000 on a whim too?

I believe this gentleman is responsible for it. It was just created today, so we'll see how many people agree with his views. Joshua Turner (JoshuaTurner187) on Twitter

I believe this gentleman is responsible for it. It was just created today, so we'll see how many people agree with his views. Joshua Turner (JoshuaTurner187) on Twitter

Good detective work. So he's angry the company he wants to shut down isn't giving him a platform to do it? He does support 'free markets' though. So Porsche is allowed to make 50% margins and that is not price gouging since they sell through a dealership but if Tesla tries it, then it is wrong. What ever happened to if it is too expensive people won't buy it? Price gouging happens when you have no other choice but to buy that product, not when you have hundreds of different cars to pick. Weak effort on his part.

Last edited:
Our petition has 40,000 signatures. Having Tesla sell through dealers wouldn't stop Tesla from trying to get 50% margin, they'd sell the cars to the dealers for as much, the dealers would then hike another 10% to it. If he wants to see Tesla make less money, get the other manufacturers to make a competitive EV so Tesla has to lower their prices.

- - - Updated - - -

And now 42,000. This is entirely possible.

Tesla just sent out an e-mail and looks like they picked up 8,000 signatures since the e-mail was created:

MailScreenSnapz002.png

I would like to note that this petition was created on June 5, 2013 and after 15 days it still had less than 100 signatures. Basically we were handicapped to begin with and it looks like we may exceed the 100,000 total anyway. Awesome!

BTW, how often do these petitions hit the 100,000 mark? I tried searching for other popular petitions but couldn't find any statistics?

Anyone look closely at the actual petitioners' "Signature #"? There are dupes.

I hereby present to the court, Exhibit A:

tesla-petition-weird-counts.jpg

Note how there are two #45,561's. And two #45,552's.

That's four dupes in just the first sixteen of over 45,000 signatures. How many are there total one wonders?

What does it mean regarding the validity of the counts?

Anyone look closely at the actual petitioners' "Signature #"? There are dupes.

I hereby present to the court, Exhibit A:

That's four dupes in just the first sixteen of over 45,000 signatures. How many are there total one wonders?

I was just thinking, what stops someone from creating emails and signing up a bunch of times?

While there are two 45, 561's as example, there is no 45, 562, but a 45, 563...suggesting that those two 45, 561's were simultaneous votes, but the computer knew enough to skip the next number 562 and assign 563 to the next one.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just thinking, what stops someone from creating emails and signing up a bunch of times?

Nothing except their sense of fairness, honesty...morals and ethics.

That's probably a multi-threading bug (missing or wrongly placed software lock). It seems it is not affecting the total number, though, since #45,562 and 45,553 are missing, making up for the duplicates.

Everyone should forward the petition link to their loan officer, asking them to support the Tesla community and also suggesting they forward it to their co-workers. More Tesla sales = more business for them. I sent it to Scott at Alliant CU.