Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New policy on moving your Tesla to Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, I am glad to see that tweet from Elon, but according to Transport Canada the issue is that Tesla won’t make the necessary changes to cars purchased in the US so they meet Canadian requirements.

So the onus is on Tesla, not Canada. We need more than a tweet to allow US Tesla owners to take their cars with them when the move to Canada.

Agreed, I am glad to see that tweet from Elon, but according to Transport Canada the issue is that Tesla won’t make the necessary changes to cars purchased in the US so they meet Canadian requirements.

So the onus is on Tesla, not Canada. We need more than a tweet to allow US Tesla owners to take their cars with them when the move to Canada.

Yes, it is up to Tesla. However, if Tesla (Elon) says that car should be able to movie between countries, then that (hopefully) indicates that Tesla (he) is willing to deploy the resources needed to perform the module/ software swaps needed.

One could say it is a Canada requirement so tough luck, but that wouldn't make sense to me in context since people can already move their cars were it is legal to do so.
@elonmusk
why am I not allowed to bring my american Tesla into Canada it don’t make sense Elon

tl;dr; Elon has more control over Tesla than he does over Canada.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
The inability to bring the vehicle into Canada is based on “government rules”.

So what is he talking about?
Canada prevents importing an unmodified Tesla, it does not prevent importing a Tesla in general. So, since importing is not totally prohibited, perhaps SvCs will soon support Canadian requirements conversions like they did with Roadster.

If the tweet is not about assisting with conversions, then it is meaningless. You can do it unless you can't do it...

Reactions: outdoors
Canada prevents importing an unmodified Tesla, it does not prevent importing a Tesla in general. So, since importing is not totally prohibited, perhaps SvCs will soon support Canadian requirements conversions like they did with Roadster.

If the tweet is not about assisting with conversions, then it is meaningless. You can do it unless you can't do it...

You think a meaningless Elon tweet is outside the realm of possibility?

There are plenty of other simple things that service centers won’t do for owners. You think they will implement a conversion for the handful of people who want to register their vehicles in Canada?

Sounds to me like Elon is shifting blame on the Canadian government for having the requirements to begin with.

The inability to bring the vehicle into Canada is based on “government rules”.

So what is he talking about?

Just so it's clear, the inability to import a vehicle is based on a voluntary disclosure by the car manufacturers on what is needed to import their vehicles to Canada. I.e. Tesla needs to tell the Canadian Government what modifications must be performed on a US Tesla so that it meets Canadian requirements. Tesla already knows this since it sold vehicles built at the same location in both countries but at the time would not release the information.

yes, this is correct. It's basically saying that it would provide the necessary information.

You think a meaningless Elon tweet is outside the realm of possibility?

There are plenty of other simple things that service centers won’t do for owners. You think they will implement a conversion for the handful of people who want to register their vehicles in Canada?

Sounds to me like Elon is shifting blame on the Canadian government for having the requirements to begin with.

It appears that his tweet had a direct affect and was followed up on. As of August 2019, almost all Teslas are admissible for import into Canada (only Roadsters are limited to a certain VIN range like before). I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done and they did specify the following conditions :

[EIS] The manufacturer confirmed Model S vehicles of 2019 and prior model year will require service to the electronic immobilization system. Read paragraph #9 of the "EXPLANATIONS" section for information on EIS.

Note-1: Please contact the manufacturer prior to importation to determine the exact nature and cost of modifications required.

But it's a huge difference from prior to August 2019 where it simply said that other than a certain range of VINs for the original Roadster, no Tesla was admissible for import into Canada.

Just so it's clear, the inability to import a vehicle is based on a voluntary disclosure by the car manufacturers on what is needed to import their vehicles to Canada. I.e. Tesla needs to tell the Canadian Government what modifications must be performed on a US Tesla so that it meets Canadian requirements. Tesla already knows this since it sold vehicles built at the same location in both countries but at the time would not release the information.

yes, this is correct. It's basically saying that it would provide the necessary information.

It appears that his tweet had a direct affect and was followed up on. As of August 2019, almost all Teslas are admissible for import into Canada (only Roadsters are limited to a certain VIN range like before). I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done and they did specify the following conditions :

But it's a huge difference from prior to August 2019 where it simply said that other than a certain range of VINs for the original Roadster, no Tesla was admissible for import into Canada.

Previously, the non-conformances were noted, but Tesla stated that service centers would not/ could not support implementing the changes which left them unable to be imported.