Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is right there on my PG&E/SGIP Incentive Claim Form, which they had me Docusign, page 4 of 6:
Project Finance​
Total Eligible Project Cost (TEPC): $13,900.00 Ineligible Project Cost: 0​
...Taking Federal Investment Tax Credits No (ITC):​
ITC as a % of TEPC: %​

I expect this is clear in the Handbook as well, a rabbit hole I spent a fair amount of time exploring back when I was Semper Solaris's first (of very many) applicants for this remarkable, frankly unbelievable, largess, but one I'm not tempted to revisit now to clarify this point.

The question would be, did you take the ITC, and did SGIP cover all or nearly all of your system's cost. If both are true, you may not want to say so publicly, though I doubt IRS or PGE/CPUC reads TMC.

I chose not to take the ITC even though it would have saved me $700, because the tax credit would take at least months, probably years to realize because I am still burning down the ITC from my 2016 solar installation. That is to say, the cash flow was better for me this way.

SW

to clarify, i wasn't saying you were mistaken on your particular situation...i'm just saying it wasn't the case for me (and my install that was just finished a few months ago). the ITC wasn't mentioned a single time throughout the entire process. perhaps something changed in the time from your install to mine?

the ITC wasn't mentioned a single time throughout the entire process. perhaps something changed in the time from your install to mine?
You know bureaucrats, they do love to change things. (Or was that engineers...?). But I did just look up the 2020 SGIP Handbook, and section
3.2.6 makes clear, in fine bureaucrat-language, that tax incentives reduce the rebate, and must be disclosed.
In order to protect against entities creating governance structures or affiliations that would allow them to achieve more funding than the capped amount, it is required that Host Customers, Applicants, and System Owners disclose information about all other incentives and eligible tax credits taken advantage of by them or any of their affiliates applicable to the project. Failure to disclose such information will be considered an infraction and is subject to the penalties indicated in Section 9.
If you got both ITC and full rebate, then your net out of pocket was like negative 26% of the cost? How cool is that!

I don't believe that is or was ever the case. If I recall, for large scale installs (3+ PWs), possibly with some other specifiers I'm forgetting, there were two different SGIP rates, one if you are claiming the ITC, and one if you weren't. In either case, the ITC was based on the (cost - SGIP), and the SGIP rebate was not taxable.

Cheers, Wayne
Right, the handbook says, section 3.1.2, that large systems which claimed ITC got 72% of the non-ITC rebate, pretty close the the reduction small residential systems would see.

SW

Reactions: crackers8199
The energy.gov website i linked to earlier says otherwise, depending on where it comes from.
I think there is an interpretation problem there.
My SGIP incentive covered the full cost of the installation of 2 Powerwalls. If the ITC isn't based on net cost It means the IRS would be paying me 30% of the total cost to take the free Powerwalls off PG&E's hands. I don't think it works that way...

Reactions: jhn_ and Vines
The energy.gov website i linked to earlier says otherwise, depending on where it comes from.
Perhaps you are thinking of the income tax exemption, which means that the rebate is not treated as income.

The solar ITC is a separate issue, and is tax credit based on the amount you paid, not the total cost of the system. To prevent double dipping, the rebate is reduced if one choses to take the ITC tax credit.

On this distinction, and to miimura's point, the energy.gov page you linked to shows how the tax credit would be reduced by a rebate:

REBATE FROM MY ELECTRIC UTILITY TO INSTALL SOLAR​

Under most circumstances, subsidies provided by your utility to you to install a solar PV system are excluded from income taxes through an exemption in federal law. When this is the case, the utility rebate for installing solar is subtracted from your system costs before you calculate your tax credit. For example, if your solar PV system was installed before December 31, 2022, cost $18,000, and your utility gave you a one-time rebate of $1,000 for installing the system, your tax credit would be calculated as follows:
0.26 * ($18,000 - $1,000) = $4,420
In the case of SGIP program rebates, if you do take the ITC tax credit, the maximum rebate is reduced. So, either way, under SGIP you are not allowed to get a full cost rebate plus an income tax credit on the full cost. Such double dipping is, of course, prohibited.

I have not looked it up, but I'm sure the federal tax code and instructions for the solar ITC made this clear as well (Clear as mud probably, these being IRS documentation)

SW

SW

Perhaps you are thinking of the income tax exemption, which means that the rebate is not treated as income.

no. that's not it. i linked to the page from energy.gov specifically about the ITC.

The solar ITC is a separate issue, and is tax credit based on the amount you paid, not the total cost of the system. To prevent double dipping, the rebate is reduced if one choses to take the ITC tax credit.

this is probably correct, but i'm saying the documentation for it doesn't clearly state that.

On this distinction, and to miimura's point, the energy.gov page you linked to shows how the tax credit would be reduced by a rebate:

i literally quoted that exact bullet point earlier, so you're not telling me anything i didn't already know here. i'm saying that it's not clear this is a utility rebate, rather it could be argued that since SGIP is a state program it's a state rebate (which, based on that site and the other excerpt i quoted earlier, indicates it would *NOT* reduce the ITC).

In the case of SGIP program rebates, if you do take the ITC tax credit, the maximum rebate is reduced. So, either way, under SGIP you are not allowed to get a full cost rebate plus an income tax credit on the full cost. Such double dipping is, of course, prohibited.

I have not looked it up, but I'm sure the federal tax code and instructions for the solar ITC made this clear as well (Clear as mud probably, these being IRS documentation)

SW

SW

i would assume you're all correct (and your quote from the handbook earlier backs that up), all i'm saying is that it's not clear from either source (SGIP nor the federal government) that this is the case. SGIP is a state run program (yes, the utilities themselves all have their part in it, but it is still run by the state). as you said, clear as mud. that's really my point.

it would be nice if there were some clarity from SGIP directly about it, easy to find on the website...not buried in the handbook and still in rather unclear language. it would take them ten seconds to just say "any SGIP funds decrease the federal ITC tax credit available to you," and then there would be no ambiguity.

it would be nice if there were some clarity from SGIP directly about it, easy to find on the website...not buried in the handbook and still in rather unclear language. it would take them ten seconds to just say "any SGIP funds decrease the federal ITC tax credit available to you," and then there would be no ambiguity.
It’s not the State’s place to weigh in on a Federal tax credit. Calculating your tax credit based on an amount any higher than your net expenditure just doesn’t pass the smell test.

Reactions: jhn_
all i'm saying is that it's not clear from either source (SGIP nor the federal government) that this is the case. SGIP is a state run program (yes, the utilities themselves all have their part in it, but it is still run by the state). as you said, clear as mud. that's really my point.
SGIP is not a state-run program. It's a state mandated program run by the utilities. PG&E's SGIP division is separate from SCE's, etc. Those of us who applied directly, we got checks from the utility.

If it were a state-run program, and not a utility program or tax credit, then the SGIP rebate would not be exempt from taxable income. So you could claim the ITC on the full amount of the PWs, but the SGIP rebate would increase your income. That could be good or bad, depending on whether your marginal income tax rate is more or less than the ITC rate.

Cheers, Wayne

SGIP is not a state-run program. It's a state mandated program run by the utilities. PG&E's SGIP division is separate from SCE's, etc. Those of us who applied directly, we got checks from the utility.

yes, you've said this before in this thread and i already answered you. i'm not saying you're wrong (i'm not saying any of you are), i'm just saying it's not at all clear from either end.

yes, you've said this before in this thread and i already answered you. i'm not saying you're wrong (i'm not saying any of you are), i'm just saying it's not at all clear from either end.
It may not be clear from the publicly available resources you've checked, but it's clear to those of us who have gone through the process and gotten a check from PG&E, not from the State of California.

It's probably to your advantage that it's a utility-run rebate, as most likely your Federal income tax rate plus your State income tax rate is greater than the ITC rate.

Cheers, Wayne

Right, but the reason to come here to ask questions is to gather further information. Once you have that further information, the answer is no longer unclear.

Cheers, Wayne

that doesn't change the fact that they should make their own official channels more clear, so that people who don't know this forum exists could have all the information they need.

Reactions: wwhitney
I'm in SDG&E territory and have the option to grid charge. I haven't thought or planned on using it, but was curious where I would find if it was permissible by the utility? There may be occasional times we know the next day's solar generation will be low due to rain and/or storms and want to charge up the PW super off peak to have power in the event of an outage. Stormwatch doesn't always trigger for such events.

I'm sure Tesla has logs going back to installation of everyone's PW's stats, including charging source. The question is will the IRS request Tesla provide logs of PW's that charged from the grid outside of storm watch. Then what? Pay back the credit with a penalty? I wonder if they'd bother for occasional use scenarios. Doesn't stormwatch technically violate the ITC anyway?

Now that the Inflation Reduction Act has been signed, is it safe to turn on Grid Charging without any tax implications claiming the ITC? PowerWalls installed from 1/1/2022 through 2032 will now be eligible for the 30% ITC regardless of whether they are installed with solar panels or standalone storage. I would think that removes the requirement that PowerWalls paired with solar panels be exclusively charged from solar. My solar panels and two PowerWalls went into service in February this year. I've left Grid Charging turned off up until now just to be on the safe side. I would like to turn on grid charging on cloudy or stormy days when my PowerWalls might not get up to 100% by the start of TOU peak hours in the afternoon.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Now that the Inflation Reduction Act has been signed, is it safe to turn on Grid Charging without any tax implications claiming the ITC?
Common sense would say yes, but tax laws don't always follow common sense. In any case, I think the likelihood that an IRS auditor is likely to check whether a battery was charged from the grid is probably low, so it is a risk I might consider taking. I'm close to the mythical five year cutoff (which is also not documented for residential solar credits), so I might wait until then before grid charging.