Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Reason to get Air Suspension.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a saying where I used to live in Texas: "turn around, don't drown". A couple of years ago a fellow died about two blocks from me when he crossed a flooded road (not very deep, but swift moving) and his car was washed down into a gully. They found him still in his car under several feet of mud a few days later.

Every year folks in TX would die crossing flooded roads during storm season, its just a really bad idea.

• Helpful
Reactions: twonius

Thanks for sharing. I would like to think I would avoid any flooded roadway with a current - like where a stream overflowed. But I will remember your metrics.
My specific question was around flooding occurring on a street with no stream, or really even a current. More that it was just in a low spot that became saturated. And trying to assess a rough idea of when it's safe to drive through vs. stop and/or turn around. Based on @whitex post, I think I will investigate what the height is from the battery packs at the highest setting for Air Suspension. Not that I would drive into water at that level. Rather it would give me some idea of an approximate place to panic and take evasive action.

Thanks for sharing. I would like to think I would avoid any flooded roadway with a current - like where a stream overflowed. But I will remember your metrics.
My specific question was around flooding occurring on a street with no stream, or really even a current. More that it was just in a low spot that became saturated. And trying to assess a rough idea of when it's safe to drive through vs. stop and/or turn around. Based on @whitex post, I think I will investigate what the height is from the battery packs at the highest setting for Air Suspension. Not that I would drive into water at that level. Rather it would give me some idea of an approximate place to panic and take evasive action.

Yeah that water didn't look too bad, but people shouldn't get the idea that driving through flooding is a good idea.

At the highest setting it's probably similar or less than a Subaru Outback.. which has 9" of ground clearance.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes comes to mind

Last post - imagine you are driving on a summer day, and without warning, you find yourself in a torrential downpour. You are on a trip, driving to a destination you haven't been to before, and find yourself on a street that has no shoulder, with traffic behind you and you encounter what I described in my first post. How is that a "stupid game??" Knowing what the car can safely navigate is useful if not necessary.