Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Reason to get Air Suspension.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure anyone mentioned this already, but here is a video of why you should get the air suspension.

Basically what I did was raised my suspension to the highest level before entering the flooded out road. My car was easily able to make it, but I don't know about other gas cars. You noticed the car in front's exhaust was completely covered by the water. Hopefully the engine has enough pressure to keep the water out and the air intake is high enough to not suck in water. There was a gas car that got stuck.

Also notice the tesla auto-pilot ping indicating something wrong with the front radar sensor. It was probably covered. Autopilot still works today so I suspect it is fine. Hopefully Tesla engineering it to be waterproof.

I don't know, but I sure would like to think that all the systems are sealed off enough to get through that "puddle" just fine. No intake, no exhaust, i.e., there are no holes for that water to get in and mess something up. Now, you probably wouldn't want water coming in to the passenger compartment, but that -might- be the greatest (but not only) concern.

I expect I'm forgetting about a couple of things, as well. No matter, that's pretty nice that you got through without a problem.

I don't know, but I sure would like to think that all the systems are sealed off enough to get through that "puddle" just fine. No intake, no exhaust, i.e., there are no holes for that water to get in and mess something up. Now, you probably wouldn't want water coming in to the passenger compartment, but that -might- be the greatest (but not only) concern.

I expect I'm forgetting about a couple of things, as well. No matter, that's pretty nice that you got through without a problem.

Salty would beg to disagree...

I love it! What cojones! Thank you for showing us it can be done! Of course, there's always the little matter of wondering just how deep that pool might turn out to be... Perhaps there should be a vicious TMC debate on how we are owed depth-sensing gear and sonars... particularly appropriate given the James Bond submersible vehicle Easter egg... :)

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj
I drove through water like that many years ago when I was in college. My ICE car didn't have a problem making it through the water but after I got home, the brakes rusted shut with the parking brake engaged and I was unable to move the car after that. I tried flooring it in reverse and the car would jiggle around a bit but wouldn't budge. I had to have it towed away on a dolly to have the brakes redone.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Glad you made it, that was pretty lucky. Could have easily gotten flooded out there. Driving out into a flooded road is a terrible idea. Especially considering where all our expensive bits are located (and no, the batteries aren't completely sealed - there's a couple threads with pictures of water-damaged batteries on here).

Reactions: TexLaw
Yeah thinking back, maybe I should've turned around. But I guess I was thinking I have air suspension so if I just raise it to the highest point, I might be able to get through. So far, nothing seems to be off. The radar sensor, which was the part that was flooded for sure, still works fine. I don't know about the battery, but so far, nothing out of the ordinary. I still charge to the same capacity before and after and it has been more than a week. Maybe the battery contacts got wet, but hopefully it is dry by now.

I think if I kept it at the same suspension level, I think it would be bad for the car. But since I was able to raise it, no water was coming through the door seal, so it might not have been that bad. No brake rust since this was probably fresh water. But yeah I won't know for sure unless I open up the car completely.

I guess at the end of the day, I figured if I am going to pay that much for the AWD car, it should be able to make it through small rivers. : )

Is the extra 0.7" or so really a crucial difference for treading water? I mean, it's one thing if it's like Jeep's Quadra-Lift system that can raise your car by nearly half a foot… But when I looked, it seemed like Air Suspension's Very High vs coil suspension was only different by under an inch. (And it looks like air suspension by default rides slightly lower than coils)

LR-Sport13.jpg
The only car I'd ever drive through water is my brothers Range Rover Sport! Take a Model S or X through that and it won't be coming out!

Salty would beg to disagree...

I am not sure anyone mentioned this already, but here is a video of why you should get the air suspension.

Basically what I did was raised my suspension to the highest level before entering the flooded out road. My car was easily able to make it, but I don't know about other gas cars. You noticed the car in front's exhaust was completely covered by the water. Hopefully the engine has enough pressure to keep the water out and the air intake is high enough to not suck in water. There was a gas car that got stuck.

Also notice the tesla auto-pilot ping indicating something wrong with the front radar sensor. It was probably covered. Autopilot still works today so I suspect it is fine. Hopefully Tesla engineering it to be waterproof.

aw shucks, I was hoping to pickup another flooded one

Just had a similar experience in our ICE SUV (family voted to take the ICE on vacation in lieu of our S). Was grateful for that decision when we got caught in a flash flood in Myrtle Beach. That led me to wonder how high would be safe to go through water in the S with Air Suspension. Alternately, at what depth should you basically stop and turn around assuming that is an option (it wasn't where we were in Myrtle Beach, actually just south of there in a development off of Bypass 17)?

This is really a stretch as far as "new reason to get air suspension". The extra couple of inches gives you not very much. This is more of a reason to get a Land Rover or Hummer rather than a Tesla.

Probably posted my question in the wrong forum, but was more interested to know what the clearance is with Air Suspension at the highest level. Outside of that, I agree with you. My primary interest is to know what the safe level of water I could drive through, should I be in a situation that required a decision.

Probably posted my question in the wrong forum, but was more interested to know what the clearance is with Air Suspension at the highest level. Outside of that, I agree with you. My primary interest is to know what the safe level of water I could drive through, should I be in a situation that required a decision.
You can look up clearance of the S or the X, depending which one you have. As for safe, I would speculate any water level at or below the bottom of the battery is taking chances. There is a video out there of a ModelS plowing through water half way up his door, but then there are salvage flooded vehicles out there too that don't look to have been submerged inside. I'd bet the extent of damage depends of type of water (salt water definitely will kill it faster), depth and duration of exposure.