Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster: Don't Need 250 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately a Halo car is expected to do Halo things and the figures you quote are for the base model apparently. So any options will only make the situation worse from your perspective - quicker acceleration and higher top speeds. I'm guessing that this is a re-run of the discussion you had when buying your current Teslas - why pay more for the Performance version when the Standard is plenty? Tesla aren't going to offer an equivalent "S" version of the Roadster. That car is all about the P.
You are right.
I don't recall this same discussion from 1 1/2 years ago when I was thinking about the S90Ds but you are probably right.
I think the Model 3 is my car.

Quite simple: You appear to think the new Roadster is a waste of resources & not necessary. My position is they know what they're doing, as proven by outcome-to-date.

I appear to think? Well maybe I should make assumptions as to what you appear to think about my posts?

Maybe that you think I want to criticize Tesla and therefore you have to give contra, no matter if your arguments actually make sense?

Maybe opinions can be gray and I can like Tesla and not get why this Roadster was necessary?

Am I impressed by the specks? Sure! Do I like how it looks? Definitely! Do I think it fits some secret plan to change the world? Of course not! This car might have a worse carbon footprint than a Ferrari, given the amount of miles such cars are driven.

Now tell me my bonnie Bonnie, why exactly do we celebrate this car?

The new Roadster is a flagship. Even if you drive a basic 3, you’re driving a vehicle made by a company who’s proven that battery cars are faster, cheaper to own and cool. Yeah, having the bloodline of the fastest production car is COOL. People love cool cars, people buy cool cars

Yup... and as Bob Tasca Sr. said in the 60's... "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday"

I appear to think? Well maybe I should make assumptions as to what you appear to think about my posts?

Maybe that you think I want to criticize Tesla and therefore you have to give contra, no matter if your arguments actually make sense?

Maybe opinions can be gray and I can like Tesla and not get why this Roadster was necessary?

Am I impressed by the specks? Sure! Do I like how it looks? Definitely! Do I think it fits some secret plan to change the world? Of course not! This car might have a worse carbon footprint than a Ferrari, given the amount of miles such cars are driven.

Now tell me my bonnie Bonnie, why exactly do we celebrate this car?
Not sure where the aggression is coming from. Relax. If I misread your post, I apologize.

So you're saying you weren't implying this Roadster was not the right approach to change the minds of OEMs:
So the super low volume car promised for 2020 will change the big OEMs minds more than the Model 3?

I mean they might sometimes behave like they are, but they aren’t literally 7 year old boys. At least Barra is a girl!

The numbers needed to change the mindset of the last remaining automotive CEOs aren’t 0-60 figures and no also not quarter mile. Pretty sure whoever runs Ford right now didn’t change the plans for electrification there, because of the Roadster.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Not sure where the aggression is coming from. Relax. If I misread your post, I apologize.

So you're saying you weren't implying this Roadster was not the right approach to change the minds of OEMs:

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound aggressive. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of seeing everything Tesla does as meaningful.

And no I don’t really think this Roadster has changed any automotive CEOs mind. Model S, X, Semi and especially the 3 did a much better job at that.

So yeah, this is a waste of engendering resources. And before someone says: but Tesla can learn something from it.

What is there to be learned from stuffing a car with batteries and putting in three Model 3 motors?

I was never impressed by any Fisker/Nio/whatever hypercar concept, but those are at least small startups that lack the finances to build a car that really matters.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound aggressive. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of seeing everything Tesla does as meaningful.

And no I don’t really think this Roadster has changed any automotive CEOs mind. Model S, X, Semi and especially the 3 did a much better job at that.

So yeah, this is a waste of engendering resources. And before someone says: but Tesla can learn something from it.

What is there to be learned from stuffing a car with batteries and putting in three Model 3 motors?

I was never impressed by any Fisker/Nio/whatever hypercar concept, but those are at least small startups that lack the finances to build a car that really matters.

While I don't disagree with most of this, there have been many requests for a follow up Roadster over the years. Also the gross profit of the new Roadster will be very high, similar to the original Roadster. So I don't think it is a waste since there isn't a lot of new ground being broken here and there's a good profit potential.

• Informative
...Fisker/Nio/whatever...

Please don't forget batman car from Fara Faro that doesn't work!

29906170001_4685716254001_Faraday1.jpg

I don't think it's a waste of engineering if they can make it work.

If Tesla can figure out how to stuff in 200 kWh battery pack in a much smaller car than Model S and X, that technology can be transferred to cheaper car versions.

The same with 250 MPH. If Tesla can make it work. The technology of traction control, stability control, steering stability, suspension system, radar, camera capturing rate... in such a high speed can also be translated to cheaper car versions.

Last edited:

What can they learn? Higher power charging and sustained high performance.

With respect to mattering, if successful it would do two important things.

First, by virtue of range, performance and charging, it would remove any argument about the potential capability of EVs.
Secondly, it would be an important step towards enabling Tesla to build pick-ups and SUVs that truly match the capabilities of ICEVs.

As a beneficial side-effect, it could kill a good chunk of the ICE hypercar market.

Please don't forget batman car from Fara Faro that doesn't work!

29906170001_4685716254001_Faraday1.jpg

I don't think it's a waste of engineering if they can make it work.

If Tesla can figure out how to stuff in 200 kWh battery pack in a much smaller car than Model S and X, that technology can be transferred to cheaper car versions.

The same with 250 MPH. If Tesla can make it work. The technology of traction control, stability control, steering stability, suspension system, radar, camera capturing rate... in such a high speed can also be translated to cheaper car versions.

Oh I totally forgot the Faraday concept! That was so stupid. Constantly talking about an autonomous, ride sharing future and then revealing a supercar. Wait a minute...

I think with the P100D S and X they have enough experience with traction control and who really needs steering capability, stability control and a suspension system that works in a 250 mph car, in a cheaper car? Tesla's cars today work up to 155mph, so not sure where the info gained from going to 250mph could ever be applied in a cheaper car.

What can they learn? Higher power charging and sustained high performance.

With respect to mattering, if successful it would do two important things.

First, by virtue of range, performance and charging, it would remove any argument about the potential capability of EVs.
Secondly, it would be an important step towards enabling Tesla to build pick-ups and SUVs that truly match the capabilities of ICEVs.

As a beneficial side-effect, it could kill a good chunk of the ICE hypercar market.

But like they have also revealed a 500 mile electric truck. Which will have higher charging needs, a gigantic battery and very high sustained performance, which then can easily be translated into a pick-up and SUV.

The ICE hypercard market is super small and the cars are mostly kept in garages anyways. The average Bugatti probably has a lower carbon footprint than any regular car. And replacing it with a car stuffed with batteries will probably have no real effect at all.

While I don't disagree with most of this, there have been many requests for a follow up Roadster over the years. Also the gross profit of the new Roadster will be very high, similar to the original Roadster. So I don't think it is a waste since there isn't a lot of new ground being broken here and there's a good profit potential.

Sure, the potential for extra profit is also a good reason. But I still think the OPs argument that he would have wanted a cheaper roadster is valid.

The whole thing I'm arguing against is, that the Roadster wasn't necessary. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want Tesla to build it, if I had the power to decide. And maybe they think they can make more money selling a 250k sport car, than a 100k sports car. And that is a valid reason, too. I don't blame them for wanting to make money. And I'm not criticizing Tesla here, just the people that say it was totally necessary for the advance of EVs, to make the new Roadster.

Nothing about this car is a need. I'll do an occasional launch, maybe a few seconds of above legal speed driving when on a club drive, but the goal for the rest of the time is to squeak by with just enough doubt to keep an officer from writing a ticket. To me, the car is a symbol of the huge transition we are making. It's an engineering masterpiece! I don't need the speed but I don't want them to water down what this represents... which is the final punch to critics who say EV's can't compare.

Last edited:
Can Tesla offer me, and others like me, a Roadster 2 that meets my lesser needs, and doesn't cost a quarter of a million dollars?

I believe that the new Roadster must be just as presented for three reasons; it will

1) Shine up and enhance the aspirational halo the original Roadster gave the Tesla brand for potential buyers of Tesla’s ever-expanding line-up of products.

2) Give Mainstream Media something new/amazing/controversial to buzz about, providing Tesla with more attention than any bazillion dollar ad campaign ever could.

3) Remind “Big Auto” that their “Tesla Killers” are aiming at a perpetually moving target, and they need to focus on what can be rather than what is, without succumbing to FOMO-induced analysis paralysis.

And yes, I believe that Tesla WILL provide us with a new roadster in a few years that doesn’t go 250mph or have 620 miles of range… It’ll cost ~$210.00 and be called Diecast 1:18 Scale Model Roadster… 2? I will get that version, because even at 55, I am not mature enough to be a responsible owner of a hyper car. My Model 3 will give me everything I need in a road-worthy car, without getting me thrown in jail (I hope!).

Happy Sunday!

If you have more money, you can enroll in a driving course and drive on open space without being ticketed.

SpeedVegas can arrange Mojave Air & Space Port so you can do all the speed you can...

SpeedVegas sucks. Website said minimum of 2 laps so I wanted 2 laps in a Lambo for $99 and when I stopped by it was a 5 lap minimum and the prices were $300. Completely dead inside, all cars ready, and they wouldn't even let me drive 2 measly laps. Walked out and punched it in the Model S on the onramp. Forget all about it.

I have the money to buy a Roadster. I bought two Model S90Ds last year.
I love to use Summon in the parking lot at my job every day. I am the local sales rep for Tesla.I could continue this with a Roadster 2.

But I can't go 250 mph. I can't even go 125 mph. I maybe can go 62.5 mph, sometimes.
So-- I would like to buy a Roadster 2 that might not be able to go 250 mph or have 620 miles of range (we live 3 miles from my work, and we have two 240 volt 40 amp connectors in our garage).

Can Tesla offer me, and others like me, a Roadster 2 that meets my lesser needs, and doesn't cost a quarter of a million dollars?
Vern, there are 2 easy solutions ... use the Chill mode on the new Roadster or purchase the first generation Roadster :cool:
Tesla Roadster (2008) - Wikipedia
Tesla releases new software update with ‘Chill’ feature to soften crazy acceleration and more

The original Roadster is the reason the Volt made it to market. The competition of Nissan and GM and variety of offerings is one of the reasons plugin vehicle’s marketshare is what it is today.
If the new Roadster gets one more major manufacturer to accelerate their plans, it is WAY ahead of the game.
If it can convince more of the old guard that performance is better than sound, that helps change underlying emotions behind what makes a great car great.
That will do more to accelerate the transition to sustainable transportation.

Tesla has already made incredible advances in this area, but more needs to be done. And the new Roadster will help do that.

But I can't go 250 mph. I can't even go 125 mph. I maybe can go 62.5 mph, sometimes.

Well mister, using four letter words like "can't" is just stinkin' thinkin' and with that sort of language, of course you think you can't go 250 mph. Let me help.... I want you to look at yourself in the mirror each morning and say, "Hey you Big Man.... You CAN go 250 mph.... You WILL go 250 mph! You CAN crap your pants.... You WILL crap your pants!"

I believe that the new Roadster must be just as presented for three reasons; it will

1) Shine up and enhance the aspirational halo the original Roadster gave the Tesla brand for potential buyers of Tesla’s ever-expanding line-up of products.
2) Give Mainstream Media something new/amazing/controversial to buzz about, providing Tesla with more attention than any bazillion dollar ad campaign ever could.
3) Remind “Big Auto” that their “Tesla Killers” are aiming at a perpetually moving target, and they need to focus on what can be rather than what is, without succumbing to FOMO-induced analysis paralysis.
And yes, I believe that Tesla WILL provide us with a new roadster in a few years that doesn’t go 250mph or have 620 miles of range… It’ll cost ~$210.00 and be called Diecast 1:18 Scale Model Roadster… 2? I will get that version, because even at 55, I am not mature enough to be a responsible owner of a hyper car. My Model 3 will give me everything I need in a road-worthy car, without getting me thrown in jail (I hope!).

Happy Sunday!
Thank you GlDY LX from California.
You got it right!
I'm up for buying an old Roadster, in two years.
Vern

Reactions: GLDYLX
Oh I totally forgot the Faraday concept! That was so stupid. Constantly talking about an autonomous, ride sharing future and then revealing a supercar. Wait a minute...

I think with the P100D S and X they have enough experience with traction control and who really needs steering capability, stability control and a suspension system that works in a 250 mph car, in a cheaper car? Tesla's cars today work up to 155mph, so not sure where the info gained from going to 250mph could ever be applied in a cheaper car.
But like they have also revealed a 500 mile electric truck. Which will have higher charging needs, a gigantic battery and very high sustained performance, which then can easily be translated into a pick-up and SUV.
The ICE hypercard market is super small and the cars are mostly kept in garages anyways. The average Bugatti probably has a lower carbon footprint than any regular car. And replacing it with a car stuffed with batteries will probably have no real effect at all.
Sure, the potential for extra profit is also a good reason. But I still think the OPs argument that he would have wanted a cheaper roadster is valid.
The whole thing I'm arguing against is, that the Roadster wasn't necessary. That doesn't mean I wouldn't want Tesla to build it, if I had the power to decide. And maybe they think they can make more money selling a 250k sport car, than a 100k sports car. And that is a valid reason, too. I don't blame them for wanting to make money. And I'm not criticizing Tesla here, just the people that say it was totally necessary for the advance of EVs, to make the new Roadster.
I'm disagreeing with you here. I think they DO need to introduce this car.
Not to make money.
To advance Elon's dream of sustainable transportation.
Yes, I would like a cheaper Roadster 2020. But there is already that car-- a 2008 or 2010 Roadster.

R.S.
Not a waste.
The 2020 Roadster is entirely in line with Elon's Vision.
Revolutionize the existing auto industry!

Reactions: unbelievable