Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250wh per pile to get performance rated range of 315 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
I calculated that I think I need to achieve 250 wh a mile to get a range of 315 miles

I tried to do this on recent 60 mile trip, no matter what I did I couldn’t get the wh per mile under 270, that’s the lowest I could get even when going 50-55 mph and no AC

What can I do to get it to 250wh so I can get the rated range?

My guess is that you were mostly driving in highway, versus city traffic? If so, that's the worst condition of the two. With city driving, you're stopping and stopping but the added advantage is that if you're using regen, some (a tiny portion, but some nevertheless) energy is being put back into the battery. My lifetime Wh/mi is 237; 2018 LR RWD 18" Aeros with just under 29K miles.

All but the last 1,160 miles were on factory MXM4 tires. I recently switched over to Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ where I've been getting 263Wh/mi.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
My guess is that you were mostly driving in highway, versus city traffic? If so, that's the worst condition of the two. With city driving, you're stopping and stopping but the added advantage is that if you're using regen, some (a tiny portion, but some nevertheless) energy is being put back into the battery. My lifetime Wh/mi is 237; 2018 LR RWD 18" Aeros with just under 29K miles.

All but the last 1,160 miles were on factory MXM4 tires. I recently switched over to Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS+ were I've been getting 263Wh/mi.
Yes it was highway but I slowed down to 50-55 mph

Yes it was highway but I slowed down to 50-55 mph
Yes, but that's a constant drain on the battery. Even if you have a eggshell accelerator foot, there's minimal times when regen is happening. The "rated" range is a function of an overly optimistic EPA driving cycle. It's essentially the same thing as saying an ICE gets 35mpg highway but you may only get 30. It's the basis of the term YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Reactions: rpiotro
Yes, but that's a constant drain on the battery. Even if you have an eggshell accelerator foot, there's minimal times when regen is happening. The "rated" range is a function of an overly optimistic EPA driving cycle. It's essentially the same thing as saying an ICE gets 35mpg highway but you may only get 30. It's the basis of the term YMMV (your mileage may vary).
What’s the rated range it shows on the screen of a new performance? after a few days of driving will it show 300-305 range or 315

I calculated that I think I need to achieve 250 wh a mile to get a range of 315 miles

I tried to do this on recent 60 mile trip, no matter what I did I couldn’t get the wh per mile under 270, that’s the lowest I could get even when going 50-55 mph and no AC

What can I do to get it to 250wh so I can get the rated range?
You don't mention what tires and wheels you have, which can have a big impact on range. On my 2021 SR+, I average 224 Wh/mi lifetime even though I travel around 70-75mph on the highway, but I have the 18" aero wheels. You also have the Performance, which is going to be heavier than the RWD models.
Looking at the thread of the Performance lifetime average, it seems it is significantly higher than RWD models. The ones that do better are those that changed their tires and wheels to 18" or 19".
M3 performance lifetime average Wh per mile

As for in general, elevation changes, headwind, and air temperature will also affect how good of a range you get, even at slower speeds. AC doesn't tend to consume that much, heat does however.

You can turn on the energy screen and see how your energy varies with usage. The newer updates also has a screen that breaks down what percentage different categories contributed.

You don't mention what tires and wheels you have, which can have a big impact on range. On my 2021 SR+, I average 224 Wh/mi lifetime even though I travel around 70-75mph on the highway, but I have the 18" aero wheels. You also have the Performance, which is going to be heavier than the RWD models.
Looking at the thread of the Performance lifetime average, it seems it is significantly higher than RWD models. The ones that do better are those that changed their tires and wheels to 18" or 19".
M3 performance lifetime average Wh per mile

As for in general, elevation changes, headwind, and air temperature will also affect how good of a range you get, even at slower speeds. AC doesn't tend to consume that much, heat does however.

You can turn on the energy screen and see how your energy varies with usage. The newer updates also has a screen that breaks down what percentage different categories contributed.
Yea I’m thinking about changing to 18 inch wheels, I was just trying to achieve the 315 miles it says it gets on the website though even with the 20 inch wheels and going by that I would need 250wh

I did a 230 mile drive round trip today in mild temps in a 2023 M3P and used 217wh/mi. About 30% was at 75mph and most of the rest 50-65. I did the math and at that efficiency I could have gone about 350 miles. Stock 20” uberturbines but running non-stock hankook ion evo. These tires almost feel like they’re cheating. I think the lower air density in Colorado helps a bit too.

I did a 230 mile drive round trip today in mild temps in a 2023 M3P and used 217wh/mi. About 30% was at 75mph and most of the rest 50-65. I did the math and at that efficiency I could have gone about 350 miles. Stock 20” uberturbines but running non-stock hankook ion evo. These tires almost feel like they’re cheating. I think the lower air density in Colorado helps a bit too.
That seems impossible for me were you mostly on flat ground or hills, what psi were your tires

I don’t understand why mine is at 270wh, maybe because it’s the summer performance tires? Do all season tires use less energy?

I’ve only got just over 1000 miles on my MYLR, but I am averaging 254 wh/mi so far without trying in particular. My driving is more than half city vs highway, I drive in Chill mode and I have 19” wheels. But I don’t expect to get 315 miles of range anyway.

What was your headwind? On a flat and level no wind, I can easily get that magical 250 @ 65MPH.

Yes, summer UHP tires have more rolling resistance than say the OEM Michelin MXM4s. Do you have 19" or 20" wheels with fat tires? That adds a lot of aero and rolling resistance.

Range is overrated anyway for how 95% of owners use their cars.

What was your headwind? On a flat and level no wind, I can easily get that magical 250 @ 65MPH.

Yes, summer UHP tires have more rolling resistance than say the OEM Michelin MXM4s. Do you have 19" or 20" wheels with fat tires? That adds a lot of aero and rolling resistance.

Range is overrated anyway for how 95% of owners use their cars.
It was kinda windy I’m not sure what the exact wind speed was though

It’s 20 inch summer tires, so if I get some 20 inch all season I should see some improvement?

If I could get 250wh while going 60 mph with the AC on I would be happy with that

What psi do people in here usually fill the 20 inch tires to

Last edited:
That seems impossible for me were you mostly on flat ground or hills, what psi were your tires

I don’t understand why mine is at 270wh, maybe because it’s the summer performance tires? Do all season tires use less energy?
I think the poster gave you the reason. Lower air density (high altitude). The tire change may have also helped.

The EPA number is a test with set conditions. If you drive under the identical conditions you will get the same results.

The differences you have mentioned so far include the wheel size and driving patttern. You also mentioned your tires.
My understanding is performance tires have more ’grip’. This also means more friction which lowers range.
Temperature also plays a role, so any tests done under about 50 degrees will have added drag.

I don't really pay attention to watt/hours. Instead, I watch the energy consumption graph - sometimes during the trip, but mostly at the end. I've found that with my 2020 M3LR and 19 inch wheels I can get mileage that is better than the EPA (or is it Tesla?) rating under the following conditions: no one else in the car, no cargo or other extra weight, no heat, no AC, no hills and a speed of between 45 & 55mph. Not exactly real world conditions, but then EPA ratings are all a joke anyway. I play this game once or twice a year, but mostly I just enjoy the car.

Tires were at 46 psi. I don’t normally run them quite that high but they were set when it was colder and it warmed up.

It was really nearly perfect conditions. Temp was between 50-60degrees F, so no heat needed and little AC, and no noticeable wind.

Elevation ranged from 5300 to 7300 but it was a round trip so no net change.

I think the tires were the main factor but it was also pretty favorable conditions. But these tires aren’t for everyone of course. They’re not the tires anyone would take to the track or for someone that takes it closer to the limit than I do on twisty back roads etc.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Answer: Nothing, unless you're willing to drive at the EPA test's average speed of about 44 mph.
Sometimes that is unavoidable. Get stuck in rush hours, watch your average speed drop. Driving through downtown? Watch your average speed drop.

Expecting to get EPA results, only driving on the highway, will most often lead to disappointment.

Reactions: gsmith123