Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250wh per pile to get performance rated range of 315 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You just have unrealistic expectations coming from a Corvette.

173 ft from 70mph is considered solid results from an all season on a sedan (as per review of Accord below).
Camry takes 176 ft.

There's nothing dangerous about this, you just leave the appropriate following distance.

Back when I was driving a BMW M cars, my braking concerns were about out-braking the car behind me vs hitting anything in front - sometimes you actually don't want record-setting deceleration if there's some leeway in your situation

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
My corvette does it in 129FT from 70mph so obviously I was horrified first time I stepped on the pedal on the Tesla with MXM4... and we are only talking about 70mph here...
I mean that is literally amongst the shortest stopping times of any car out there https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g29674610/best-stopping-distances-braking-tested/

For a non-performance car like a standard model 3, 160-170ft is pretty normal. Standard BMW 3-series does 165 ft for example. The 150 ft the Model S Plaid does is comparable to other high end sedans like the BMW M5 (despite the Plaid being derided as having "terrible brakes" by the youtubers and such).

Yeah it's an hyperbole but not so far from truth...

172 ft vs 187ft @70mph ... Not a huge difference.

My corvette does it in 129FT from 70mph so obviously I was horrified first time I stepped on the pedal on the Tesla with MXM4... and we are only talking about 70mph here...

PS4S makes a big difference. 147FT instead of 172FT. Running CC2 in winter now, I would say closer to PS4S than MXM4 in braking, but efficiency is not as good.

Anyway, those Hankook obviously seem to be great for efficiency but yeah would like to see a braking test and how well they fare vs mileage, as low rolling resistance tires also wear very fast in average. With aggressive alignment ( I run AutoX and did not want to change alignment all the time) my MXM4 were done in 12,000 miles.
The average 70-0 braking distance of those 3 trucks was about 194 feet, which is more than a 1/2 ton truck length longer than the M3 LR - that’s a big difference.

Wait, you ran AutoX on MXMs?? LOL!

OP I'm surprised no one mentionned that before (unless I missed it), but the alignment has an important impact on efficiency. setting the toe to be at 0 in front and just a slight toe in at the rear will help. Not sure if your car was ever aligned ?

Also a lot of talks about efficiency here with tires, but how does this Hankook handle emergency braking and handling. If it's as bad as the MXM4 or worse it's scary. The MXM4 is incredibly poor as far as braking. Usually most of those low rolling resistance tire are. Are you willing to compromise safety for a few wh/min ?
When I had MXM4 on my 3 braking was as bad if not worse than a 1/2 ton truck... (Not that it matters for braking distances but I have MPP big brakes on mine)
I haven’t had any issues with performance and the Hankook tires so far. I ran a 3.06 0-60 mph without subtracting rollout so they have good enough grip on acceleration.

Tires of today are so much better than tires from just 4-5 years ago. Tire technology really is improving now.

The average 70-0 braking distance of those 3 trucks was about 194 feet, which is more than a 1/2 ton truck length longer than the M3 LR - that’s a big difference.

Wait, you ran AutoX on MXMs?? LOL!

Of course not running the MXM4 for AutoX lol. I have a set of Apex EC7 in 18's for AutoX (ran RT660 in 22-23 and will run RE71-RS in 2024).
I just put -3.3deg of camber in front -1.8deg rear in March and leave it until October. I don't want to change alignment before and after each event. Camber is also good for efficiency because it tucks the wheels in on the top half ^^. So when I swap between wheels my ps4s or mxm4 were running on those specs between March-October. Back to street alignment in winter.

I'm also used to run Hoosiers on my vette as I do a lot of Roadcourse at a fairly high level, so any marginal braking performance seems weak to me.

But even comparing mxm4 vs ps4s is huge, in deceleration feel and abs intervention...

My wife has a 2022 Trailblazer RS (3200Lbs) on hankook all season tires (don't remember model) and braking is much stronger than a Model3 on mxm4 from seat in pants at least.

Anyway, for me MXM4 is unsafe as far as braking performance. There are a lot of wildlife where I live and 15FT difference is a LOT in emergency situation.

My opinion...

Of course not running the MXM4 for AutoX lol. I have a set of Apex EC7 in 18's for AutoX (ran RT660 in 22-23 and will run RE71-RS in 2024).
I just put -3.3deg of camber in front -1.8deg rear in March and leave it until October. I don't want to change alignment before and after each event. Camber is also good for efficiency because it tucks the wheels in on the top half ^^. So when I swap between wheels my ps4s or mxm4 were running on those specs between March-October. Back to street alignment in winter.

I'm also used to run Hoosiers on my vette as I do a lot of Roadcourse at a fairly high level, so any marginal braking performance seems weak to me.

But even comparing mxm4 vs ps4s is huge, in deceleration feel and abs intervention...

My wife has a 2022 Trailblazer RS (3200Lbs) on hankook all season tires (don't remember model) and braking is much stronger than a Model3 on mxm4 from seat in pants at least.

Anyway, for me MXM4 is unsafe as far as braking performance. There are a lot of wildlife where I live and 15FT difference is a LOT in emergency situation.

My opinion...
M3 on MXMs stops shorter than even your wife’s Trailblazer, so you’d better get her out of that unsafe car and into something that brakes better.

M3 on MXMs stops shorter than even your wife’s Trailblazer, so you’d better get her out of that unsafe car and into something that brakes better.

You are correct, by 2 feets it looks like per Cars and Driver testing. Tires are hankook Kinergy GT.
Having a M3 braking same distance as a small SUV cannot be considered as an achievement IMO....

Clearly does not feel that way when stomping on the pedal though, maybe the higher sitting position gives a false impression of higher G force with the accentuated lean forward. Clearly less ABS interventions though.

You are correct, by 2 feets it looks like per Cars and Driver testing. Tires are hankook Kinergy GT.
Having a M3 braking same distance as a small SUV cannot be considered as an achievement IMO....

Clearly does not feel that way when stomping on the pedal though, maybe the higher sitting position gives a false impression of higher G force with the accentuated lean forward. Clearly less ABS interventions though.
You’re hilarious.

The M3 LR is “unsafe” due to its braking but your wife’s mini-SUV hatchback thing not only requires longer to stop but is also nothing like as safe as the Tesla in the event of an actual accident.

And if you were REALLY concerned about braking or safety, your wife wouldn’t be driving that car at all.

But hey, keep digging your hole deeper.

You’re hilarious.

The M3 LR is “unsafe” due to its braking but your wife’s mini-SUV hatchback thing not only requires longer to stop but is also nothing like as safe as the Tesla in the event of an actual accident.

And if you were REALLY concerned about braking or safety, your wife wouldn’t be driving that car at all.

But hey, keep digging your hole deeper.

Traiblazer RS is 5 star crash rated and honestly I would prefer crashing with it vs the Tesla vs risk of battery fire if going out of the road. Car landing on rocks on a mountain road, not good.

The M3 braking is not unsafe with good tires. I have a LOT of high speed racing, AutoX and Hillclimb, I can tell you MXM4 tire are bad, period. Don't be a basic Tesla fanboy please. Factory tires are crap at everything except efficiency and noise.

... and honestly I would prefer crashing with it vs the Tesla vs risk of battery fire if going out of the road. Car landing on rocks on a mountain road, not good.

Fires per 100,000 vehicles
Hybrids 3475
Gas/diesel 1530
EV 25
These findings were based on data from the National Transportation Safety Board and the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

Traiblazer RS is 5 star crash rated and honestly I would prefer crashing with it vs the Tesla vs risk of battery fire if going out of the road. Car landing on rocks on a mountain road, not good.
A lot of this is a mix of the older model, but it's very easy to find examples of Blazers crashing, immediately catching on fire and some of those had people dying. As another pointed out, the chances of this happening is much higher for ICE cars than for EVs.
chevy blazer crash fire - Google Search
The M3 braking is not unsafe with good tires. I have a LOT of high speed racing, AutoX and Hillclimb, I can tell you MXM4 tire are bad, period. Don't be a basic Tesla fanboy please. Factory tires are crap at everything except efficiency and noise.
It's not unsafe with MXM4 tires either, that's the point others are making. People have posted the results are objectively right in line with what a sedan does with all seasons (even ones lighter than the Model 3) and better than the much lighter CUV your wife drives.
No one here is talking about racing with these, neither is the OP.

Last edited:
I dunno: a Tesla going off a 250 foot cliff ONTO ROCKS and the passengers all surviving seems to blow yet another hole in the hyperbole.

tesla-falls-off-cliff.jpg

Whatever happened to that suicidal doctor? Did he go to trial yet?
"His defense attorney is fighting to divert the case out of the criminal courts system and into a mental health diversion program."

There was a hearing for this scheduled for back in December, but I can't find any updates.

On my work commute today I averaged 226 wh/mile and this was with the summer 20 inch tires

Temp was 45 degrees I had a 15 mile stretch of road where I traveled 62 mph and a 2 mile stretch where I traveled 67 mph and the last 16 miles was 40-50 mph

This seems like a really good WH for 20 inch, if I had the 20 inch hankook evos I probably would be under 200 wh/mile

I have my tires set to 44 psi

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
On my work commute today I averaged 226 wh/mile and this was with the summer 20 inch tires

Temp was 45 degrees I had a 15 mile stretch of road where I traveled 62 mph and a 2 mile stretch where I traveled 67 mph and the last 16 miles was 40-50 mph

This seems like a really good WH for 20 inch, if I had the 20 inch hankook evos I probably would be under 200 wh/mile

I have my tires set to 44 psi
As speed decreases the efficiency will dramatically increase especially with really efficient tires.