Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Samsung Android 12 broke contact list loading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I have not had any issue with the Samsung s21 Ultra connecting and loading contact lists up to this point. I received the new Android 12 and Samsung One UI 4 update last night. When my phone connects to the car, it no longer loads my contact list. I unpaired and forgot phone on both ends and re added the phone. I get the normal confirm ID number to pair and two permission messages; one for contacts and one for SMS messages. Has anyone seen this with the new update for Android 12 or Samsung One UI 4.

Yeah, I have the same issue with my S21+. Forgot and repaired as well. Interestingly, my Favorites still come over. Not sure if it's a Tesla issue or a Samsung issue. I don't have another vehicle to test with.

Question -- did you have contact images previously? Even when I had a contact list, images didn't load. They did in my previous car. (I've only had my X for a month or so)

Yeah, I have the same issue with my S21+. Forgot and repaired as well. Interestingly, my Favorites still come over. Not sure if it's a Tesla issue or a Samsung issue. I don't have another vehicle to test with.

Question -- did you have contact images previously? Even when I had a contact list, images didn't load. They did in my previous car. (I've only had my X for a month or so)
I have never had it load with images.

Ok...I think I found a fix. On my Samsung phone under Settings I selected Developer options, Bluetooth PBAP, Bluetooth PBAP version, PBAP 1.1, then Apply. I connected to my car and contacts now sync. What is strange is when I switched it back to PBAP version 1.2 it still syncs the contacts. So, by toggling this option it seemed to fix the issue.

Reactions: Castaway
Ok...I think I found a fix. On my Samsung phone under Settings I selected Developer options, Bluetooth PBAP, Bluetooth PBAP version, PBAP 1.1, then Apply. I connected to my car and contacts now sync. What is strange is when I switched it back to PBAP version 1.2 it still syncs the contacts. So, by toggling this option it seemed to fix the issue.
I spent an hour at Tesla SC and they couldn't fix it. Your solution for my S21 worked perfectly. Thank you!

I'm impressed. My SO's S21 stopped playing notification sounds; fixing that involved resetting all the phone options. That caused issues with it forgetting wifi SSIDs and bluetooth settings. So, not a big surprise that I had to re-pair it with the car.
But the SO found out that calling by name didn't work, although my troubleshooting discovered that calling by number did. I had reset the Model Y a couple of times, turned off power, turned back on, but nothing was working. Tried using my iPhone - and that did work!
Searched on S21 vs. Tesla and came up with your post. Got developer mode turned on, simply toggled the PBAB version back and forth between 1.1 and 1.2, leaving it on 1.2, then went out and tried it. Worked first time without any further messing about.
Looks like a Samsung problem, I suspect.