Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean "fixed for one person", because my screen is still yellow and there is no timeline Tesla is willing to commit to fix it. Could be like the 691hp update that Elon claimed they were in final testing for my P85D, only to later make a lame excuse and never deliver it.
Sorry, I guess I mistakenly thought this thread was about the yellow screen issue.

Fixed for the one person who bothered to report the “magical” fix Tesla stated they were working on, worked.

Solution is not deployed at scale, therefore the issue is not resolved.
The H/W is reportedly just rolling out to service centers, so true, not yet at scale. The fix involving that which was deemed “magic” by many here, is a resolution to the problem.

While it took time to determine the cause, and develop a solution, the solution works. While the narrative will no doubt now be, “it took too long.” It was a non critical cosmetic problem, one that was stated was being investigated. Didn’t affect the way any of our cars handled, at least not mine.

While it took time to determine the cause, and develop a solution, the solution works. While the narrative will no doubt now be, “it took too long.” It was a non critical cosmetic problem, one that was stated was being investigated. Didn’t affect the way any of our cars handled, at least not mine.

I think we have to pump the brakes before just saying the solution works. We have one claimed case of the UV fix, and based on the pics shown from the twitter post, the discoloration was extremely minor to some of the other cases shown here.

We are all hoping this is a permanent fix, but it's premature to declare victory.

The H/W is reportedly just rolling out to service centers, so true, not yet at scale. The fix involving that which was deemed “magic” by many here, is a resolution to the problem.

I was good with your statement up to “cosmetic” and “that was stated was being investigated.” The information available from Tesla on this was all over the map. If they had said, “we are investigating” and left it at that, that would be different. That warranty statement that came out, which included, “cosmetic,” also said, “they didn’t have to fix it.” Don’t parse the words to shape a position. Also, that cosmetic issue is an economic one if/when you go to sell the car, as has been noted by another owner. So, if Tesla dented your car when it was in for service, and said it was cosmetic, would you be ok with it? To make it apples to apples, let’s say it was a small dent but very noticeable.

I’m glad it appears they are moving forward with a fix. I had hoped/thought they would.

I was good with your statement up to “cosmetic” and “that was stated was being investigated.” The information available from Tesla on this was all over the map. If they had said, “we are investigating” and left it at that, that would be different. That warranty statement that came out, which included, “cosmetic,” also said, “they didn’t have to fix it.” Don’t parse the words to shape a position. Also, that cosmetic issue is an economic one if/when you go to sell the car, as has been noted by another owner. So, if Tesla dented your car when it was in for service, and said it was cosmetic, would you be ok with it? To make it apples to apples, let’s say it was a small dent but very noticeable.

I’m glad it appears they are moving forward with a fix. I had hoped/thought they would.
Trying to equate physical damage as being cosmetic compared to discolored adhesive is disingenuous.

I was told by Tesla when I scheduled a replacement screen along with other items that the root cause was still being investigated, and they were working on a fix which would be announced soon. My replacement was not done.

It was cosmetic and did not affect the proper operation of the vehicle. If I were faced with having to sell the car and it hadn’t been resolved yet, and that was a deal breaker, even after telling the potential buyer the details of the fix being a work in progress, and that killed the sale, there are plenty of people who are able to deal with a minor issue such as this. The car would sell.

Sorry, I guess I mistakenly thought this thread was about the yellow screen issue.

Fixed for the one person who bothered to report the “magical” fix Tesla stated they were working on, worked.
And not fixed for all the others who bothered to report here, myself included. The other fact was just an example of Tesla pattern of past behavior.

Last edited:
Since there’s only a handful reporting here with yellow borders out of all the S,X sold, this is not indicative of as big an issue as some here suggest. I get that it’s frustrating believing a replacement is required, but I’d rather Tesla resolves it in a cost effective manner.

Time will tell if it’s a long term fix or not.
Agree on the second but not the first. Two things make me think it is a wider issue (a) Tesla is rolling out a fix everywhere (b) the distribution of where the cars are and across time periods. To suggest that the number of reports here is an indicator of only a small number of incidents could be argued to be disingenuous, but that would require knowing your intent. I am going to go the positive route and and say you have no insincere intent, you just think it (look up disingenuous). I would suggest that neither of us know, how representative the number of posters here are of the general population of problems. That is actually an interesting question. Wonder if someone else here has some thoughts on that.

Cheers.

Let's also hope this magical fix does not affect the longevity of the display or cause the same yellow border or other issues later down the road. This is like something breaking in your car and rather than replacing the broken part, gluing it together and calling it a fix.

I think we have to pump the brakes before just saying the solution works. We have one claimed case of the UV fix, and based on the pics shown from the twitter post, the discoloration was extremely minor to some of the other cases shown here.

We are all hoping this is a permanent fix, but it's premature to declare victory.

Cross post...

A Tesla mobile tech told me a month or so ago that their internal wiki says this UV light fix is temporary. And that you will be allowed to request another application of the fix as long as your vehicle is under warranty.

This is not good news if this is documented internally by Tesla Service... they are just kicking the can down the road. :cool:

I would suggest that neither of us know, how representative the number of posters here are of the general population of problems. That is actually an interesting question. Wonder if someone else here has some thoughts on that.

My hypothesis is that this is a widespread problem because Tesla went from replacing displays to keep customers happy to stopping all replacement of displays no matter how bad they were (and mine was the worst my service center had ever seen - see pic below).

I think this change of direction occurred because the scale of the problem skyrocketed once news of it spread. Conversely, it is possible Tesla did not know the replacement screens might also yellow and stopped replacement once this became known, but I think this is less likely. Why go through all of the trouble of developing a complex UV light fix that may or may not work long term when you can just fix a few cars with bad displays by dropping in whatever display is being used in new cars rolling off the production line; that is assuming the problem is not widespread and new cars do not have this problem.

Additional evidence for my little hypothesis is that all of the people I know who have Tesla S/X cars 2016-2018 have yellow screens. Granted my statistical sample is puny, but still what are the odds of that unless it is widespread?

So color me hopeful [sigh] but also very skeptical that this UV Fix: (a) will work on all displays no matter how bad the yellowing, (b) that the fix is permanent, and (c) that the fix will not have unintended negative side effects like weakening the adhesive resulting the touch-panel falling off :)

IMG_0430.jpeg

Getting the screen “healed” on July 10th
This is great news, please keep us posted on the outcome. There was a comment earlier about this issue not being very widespread, please don't be deluded, this is a very large scale problem and has been highlighted in the media where Tesla have used a "not automotive grade" product.

I am happy to take any fix Tesla will provide in order to resolve this issue, I for now, whilst being annoyed will remain cautiously optimistic after seeing the post by Bonnie. Hoping to see a few more good news stories from owners in this thread soon!!!

Since there’s only a handful reporting here with yellow borders out of all the S,X sold, this is not indicative of as big an issue as some here suggest.
Not even close. If it was just a handful, Tesla would replace the screens and be done. Also, when talking with a tech at a local service center, he mentioned "a lot of cars have this problem" and that they hope they'll need 10+ of those machines if they are to fix all those cars (think about it, if it takes an hour per, that's at most 24 cars fixed a day, assuming service center runs a three 8-hr shift around the clock fix). When talking with service adviser, I got he impression that it's thousands of cars which have this problem. Combine that with them telling me they have a fix now but my car won't be fixed until next year, tells me there are a ton of cars in line for the fix.

Reactions: PhilDavid