Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
once the screen goes yellow post warranty, that's $1400 per screen swap!

No, non-warranty replacement touch screens come with a 4-year warranty. Vehicle Warranty

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

• Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and microcontroller unit: 4 years

No, non-warranty replacement touch screens come with a 4-year warranty. Vehicle Warranty

***Be Careful***

I think it would be foolish to just assume Tesla would honor the 4 year warranty you speak of on replacement parts. Remember , some service centers are already sending the message this is not a warranty item - regardless of how incorrect that may be. If we just assume Tesla will honor warranties on replacement parts after this debacle, shame on us.

It may very well end up being $1,400 per swap.

First, good find.

Second, great - that means I can swap the screen until finally getting one that doesn't yellow. That said, the new part warranty also covers the screen, yet they are refusing to fix them already (or giving "we'll replace it next year" - yes I actually got "end of year" for the magic light as one of the estimates). So, even though the replacement screen is supposed to have 4 years, they could be play the same games and refuse to fix, giving some new BS stories about magic firmware to delay the screen swaps.

Third, I want to enjoy my car, and be able to trade it in whenever I feel like upgrading it. Trading in with yellow screen is costly (actually, I asked a car dealer about the trade-in value this past weekend and was told they are not at all interested in a trade-in unless the screen is fixed), and with screen fix taking months and months to fix (since first you have to fight Tesla for it, then it takes a month to get an appointment, then wait for parts, etc), it's best to fix asap, not when I decide to trade in. I have bought cars, including the first Tesla on a complete whim same day after test driving it, I want the freedom to do the same with other cars, so I like to keep my cars all fixed up in case I want to trade them in (unlike Tesla, other dealers can trade and get you a new car same day, but not if you have to go back and spend months fixing it first).

Reactions: FlatSix911
One other thought, after reading through the details, this extended warranty seems to apply if YOU pay for the new parts, not if Tesla pays for the parts or replaces it with a refurbished item (hence the term "Part(s) purchase date" in the legal parts). If your drive unit dies a day before end of warranty, you don't get a free replacement and 4 more years of coverage.

One other thought, after reading through the details, this extended warranty seems to apply if YOU pay for the new parts, not if Tesla pays for the parts or replaces it with a refurbished item (hence the term "Part(s) purchase date" in the legal parts). If your drive unit dies a day before end of warranty, you don't get a free replacement and 4 more years of coverage.

Yep that is why I said non-warranty replacements.

Though do think in the case you proposed they would extend the drive unit warranty a little bit.

I setup a service appointment via the app for the screen yellowing. Based on what I've read here, I suspect Tesla will cancel the appointment, but at least I've got the problem documented.

I feel like this is really going to come back to haunt Tesla. And it's not just the hordes of unhappy customers that they are creating. If they are still building cars with defective displays, as it sounds like they are, this is going to cost them a fortune down the road.

First, good find.

Second, great - that means I can swap the screen until finally getting one that doesn't yellow. That said, the new part warranty also covers the screen, yet they are refusing to fix them already (or giving "we'll replace it next year" - yes I actually got "end of year" for the magic light as one of the estimates). So, even though the replacement screen is supposed to have 4 years, they could be play the same games and refuse to fix, giving some new BS stories about magic firmware to delay the screen swaps.

Third, I want to enjoy my car, and be able to trade it in whenever I feel like upgrading it. Trading in with yellow screen is costly (actually, I asked a car dealer about the trade-in value this past weekend and was told they are not at all interested in a trade-in unless the screen is fixed), and with screen fix taking months and months to fix (since first you have to fight Tesla for it, then it takes a month to get an appointment, then wait for parts, etc), it's best to fix asap, not when I decide to trade in. I have bought cars, including the first Tesla on a complete whim same day after test driving it, I want the freedom to do the same with other cars, so I like to keep my cars all fixed up in case I want to trade them in (unlike Tesla, other dealers can trade and get you a new car same day, but not if you have to go back and spend months fixing it first).

Great points... just for fun see what Tesla says about your yellow screen when you request a trade-in quote. :cool:

So where I find this interesting is compared to an extended warranty for a car that gets high mile usage. They want $4750 for an additional 4 years / 50k miles. I am at 48k with just over 2 years.

So the $4750 buys me 2 more years at the current mileage rate.

Big ticket items that I’m concerned about -

- MCU / Screen (not sure how much out of warranty)
- DC 2 DC
- AC compressor
- charge port
- to a lesser extent the charger.

Based on reading here, the memory in the MCU is going to fail. But I replace it out of pocket and it costs less than $4750 and I get 4 years coverage. So I still saved, unless multiple other parts fail too, and I’m not concerned with stuff I can DIY like door handles.

Yep that is why I said non-warranty replacements.

Though do think in the case you proposed they would extend the drive unit warranty a little bit.
Yep, so my original point of trying to get as many screen swaps under warranty applies. Once warranty runs out, I'd have to pay for one full price swap. I also think at some point before the 10 years everyone thinks is mandated by law, that they will discontinue making those screens period, like plus suspension parts, gone less than 4 years after last car with it came off the line.

So where I find this interesting is compared to an extended warranty for a car that gets high mile usage. They want $4750 for an additional 4 years / 50k miles. I am at 48k with just over 2 years.

So the $4750 buys me 2 more years at the current mileage rate.

Big ticket items that I’m concerned about -

- MCU / Screen (not sure how much out of warranty)
- DC 2 DC
- AC compressor
- charge port
- to a lesser extent the charger.

Based on reading here, the memory in the MCU is going to fail. But I replace it out of pocket and it costs less than $4750 and I get 4 years coverage. So I still saved, unless multiple other parts fail too, and I’m not concerned with stuff I can DIY like door handles.
Following very similar reasoning I let my warranty expire recently.

Service center in Eindhoven - The Netherlands also told me "a device" is in the making which will remove the yellow banding. When asking for specifics in went into a I don't know. They service guy told me the device was already "produced" but it hasn't shipped to the Netherlands yet. Which sounds like b.s. when reading this topic :)

As a time-frame he clammed a couple month, definitely this year. He was rather downplaying the issue and almost sounded bored by my questions. He probably didn't pay a 6 figure price for a mediocre built-quality car o_O

The good thing is if or when there will be a fix, it's covered by warranty. Think I'll try to push for a new screen if this magical device isn't here in a couple of months.

OMG they have invented a time machine that will send the display back in time to "revive" it! :p

I hope Elon is learning from this:
  1. Using parts out of spec, ok for prototypes and low volume production, really bad idea for mass production. The manufacturer can change the parts at any time as long as they meet the spec, so even if part you bought works well out of spec, there is no guarantee whatsoever the next batch will work too. Designing in hope that all the part you buy will exceed the spec is just gambling.
  2. Mass production of cars without exhaustive testing will eventually lead to mass repair bills.
  3. Not everyone is a billionaire and has plenty of cars to drive while their Teslas are being repaired, or simply chuck the Tesla when the screen goes yellow and get the latest and greatest replacement.
  4. People who pay their hard earned money for a car, don't agree that they should sacrifice the quality of the product their bought for Elon's grand mission of robo-taxis or expeditions to Mars or building tunnels for electric cars to drive in.

I’m leaning that way. The big value add I see is private resale.
You can always point a potential buyer to 3rd party warranty, like the x-care one I saw discussed here recently. For pure resale value, you're probably not going to get your money back out of an extended warranty plan (i.e. you pay Tesla $5K for extended warranty, you won't sell your car for $5K more).

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
I setup a service appointment via the app for the screen yellowing. Based on what I've read here, I suspect Tesla will cancel the appointment, but at least I've got the problem documented.

I feel like this is really going to come back to haunt Tesla. And it's not just the hordes of unhappy customers that they are creating. If they are still building cars with defective displays, as it sounds like they are, this is going to cost them a fortune down the road.

For whatever it's worth... I just got a text from Tesla service, but rather than completely cancelling my appointment, they told me that "touchscreen repairs cannot be performed by mobile service" and they are transferring my concern to the Oceanside service center (even though I'm much closer to the Miramar service center).