Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the fact is a warranty repair does not extend beyond the original warranty period (with and exception of warranty right at the end which extends by 30-90 days max). So, delaying any warranty repair is beneficial to the provider of the warranty, especially is the fix has a limited life.

If documented before hand and Tesla said to wait for a fix, I don’t see how they can then turn around and say, “whelp....past the warranty. Sorry!”

If documented before hand and Tesla said to wait for a fix, I don’t see how they can then turn around and say, “whelp....past the warranty. Sorry!”
You misunderstood. Say you have 3 years of warranty left. Imagine that the fix is not 100% reliable, say after 6 months 50% of the screens require another fix. Your fix gets delayed until your warranty. You get you screen fixed, you are happy for 6 months, then it turns out you need another one, but it's no longer covered. Had you had the fix today, then 6 months from now you could get another fix, then another, then another, until your warranty is over. If the fix works 50% of the time, withing a few tries you are almost guaranteed for get a working screen. If you wait until the warranty is over, then you only get one shot (and have to drive your car with a yellow screen for a long while). Not to mention that if your MCU dies after warranty, it saves Tesla money because you have to pay for a whole MCU with a screen anyways. So, it's in Tesla's financial interest to delay the fix as long as possible (except of course for the risk of getting sued).

PS> As a side note. I had a service appointment where one of the issues was the yellow screen. The invoice did not show me asking about the yellow screen. I asked why not just put it down with the rest of the concerns and just write "not addressed". Could get a straight answer, was just told to email tesla. So, perhaps Tesla wants to avoid "having it documented" too.

Last edited:
You misunderstood. Say you have 3 years of warranty left. Imagine that the fix is not 100% reliable, say after 6 months 50% of the screens require another fix. Your fix gets delayed until your warranty. You get you screen fixed, you are happy for 6 months, then it turns out you need another one, but it's no longer covered. Had you had the fix today, then 6 months from now you could get another fix, then another, then another, until your warranty is over. If the fix works 50% of the time, withing a few tries you are almost guaranteed for get a working screen. If you wait until the warranty is over, then you only get one shot (and have to drive your car with a yellow screen for a long while). Not to mention that if your MCU dies after warranty, it saves Tesla money because you have to pay for a whole MCU with a screen anyways. So, it's in Tesla's financial interest to delay the fix as long as possible (except of course for the risk of getting sued).

PS> As a side note. I had a service appointment where one of the issues was the yellow screen. The invoice did not show me asking about the yellow screen. I asked why not just put it down with the rest of the concerns and just write "not addressed". Could get a straight answer, was just told to email tesla. So, perhaps Tesla wants to avoid "having it documented" too.

I guess I’ll wait and worry about that if/when it actually happens.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not even close. If it was just a handful, Tesla would replace the screens and be done. Also, when talking with a tech at a local service center, he mentioned "a lot of cars have this problem" and that they hope they'll need 10+ of those machines if they are to fix all those cars (think about it, if it takes an hour per, that's at most 24 cars fixed a day, assuming service center runs a three 8-hr shift around the clock fix). When talking with service adviser, I got he impression that it's thousands of cars which have this problem. Combine that with them telling me they have a fix now but my car won't be fixed until next year, tells me there are a ton of cars in line for the fix.
Which is why I said "reported here."

I have no idea how widespread the problem is, but I do know that the slightest issue Tesla related has tons of new post here, with people bemoaning how Tesla screwed them, or lied to them, and run around with their hair on fire while attempting to spread as much FUD towards Tesla as possible, as well as towards those who counter their comments with reason.

Condescending comments from some (not saying you) towards those who refuse to jump on the hate wagon are nothing more than a reflection on them, and their attempts to insult are pathetic at best.

Hopefully the UV fix solves the problem, now that they and the screen manufacture have provided a solution. If it's not a long term solution, that's a different story.

Reactions: SO16
Cross posting a statement from Tesla to a TMC member... they are already stating that the fix is temporary and one-time only.

I fear that this is a bandaid not a true fix. This is the email I got from Tesla...
"Mr. Leopold, Basil forwarded me your request to connect with a service manager in regards to the yellowing border around your Media Control Unit display. I understand that you would like us to replace the display to resolve the yellowing border around the display, as per other customer reports you have found online. As it turns out, Tesla has reviewed the cases of yellowing borders forming and determined that this is a cosmetic anomaly, which has no impact on performance, function, or reliability of the touchscreen. Therefore this is not a defect and Tesla has no obligation to replace it under warranty. Given the above, Tesla has developed a procedure which uses ultraviolet light to remove the yellowing condition for a period of time and we will apply it as a one-time goodwill gesture once this procedure is available. At this time Tesla will not replace your screen in the Media Control Unit free of charge." The part that concerns me is the "one-time goodwill". Indicating to me that they expect the problem to persist and they won't fix it again. Thoughts?

This is not good news in my book. This 'confirms' that the fix is temporary and if it fails down the road, you'll pay. We also don't know what the definition of 'temporary' is. Is it 30 minutes, 30 days, 30 months? Who knows, do they know? Further, they are again insisting this is not a warranty replace item. It was in the past, but not now, sorry. Unreal.

Reactions: re04586
My hypothesis is that this is a widespread problem because Tesla went from replacing displays to keep customers happy to stopping all replacement of displays no matter how bad they were (and mine was the worst my service center had ever seen - see pic below).

I think this change of direction occurred because the scale of the problem skyrocketed once news of it spread. Conversely, it is possible Tesla did not know the replacement screens might also yellow and stopped replacement once this became known, but I think this is less likely. Why go through all of the trouble of developing a complex UV light fix that may or may not work long term when you can just fix a few cars with bad displays by dropping in whatever display is being used in new cars rolling off the production line; that is assuming the problem is not widespread and new cars do not have this problem.

Additional evidence for my little hypothesis is that all of the people I know who have Tesla S/X cars 2016-2018 have yellow screens. Granted my statistical sample is puny, but still what are the odds of that unless it is widespread?

So color me hopeful [sigh] but also very skeptical that this UV Fix: (a) will work on all displays no matter how bad the yellowing, (b) that the fix is permanent, and (c) that the fix will not have unintended negative side effects like weakening the adhesive resulting the touch-panel falling off :)

View attachment 424706

My yellow band is top and both sides, but not on bottom, like yours. Why would that be???

One time only free of charge is how I read it. So it may be done again if needed....just at a cost. Not exactly ideal but I will be curious to see the price of the procedure.

Bottom Line - this can be interpreted as a service under the "goodwill" category versus it being a "warranty" correction.

If this is Tesla' stance, I don't consider this situation resolved.

The cost is not the point as has been messaged here.

Also, looks like it may be worth just taking them to arbitration based on the other post that just appeared.

I know what the point is. Still ridiculous how some are just going chicken little on this without knowing all the facts and knowing if Tesla has a permanent fix or not.

To expect the company to replace the part for several thousand dollars with many thousands of vehicles when it is known that the new part also has the same problem, is asking a lot. Yes morally they should do it. But perhaps we should be a bit reasonable on the outcome at this point in time. That’s all I’m saying. Some people and their expectations of NOW NOW NOW for everything is a bit much.