Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New seats or new car, my spouse HATES the M3 seats!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like my seats except that the front edge of the seat bottom is raised too tall.
Can I tilt it down a little?

:D

This is the literal opposite of my problem. I want to tilt the squab higher in the front. I'm probably going to buy longer versions of the bolts used to hold the seat rails down, and then put washers under the front to induce a bit more tilt. You could probably do the opposite.

The headrest is way too far forward on the 3 seats and it's definitely been discussed before. There is a good YouTube vid of a owner who bent his headrest posts to bring it back and that is probably the best thing to do but not easiest.

Easiest is to take the headrest out and then flip it and reinstall backwards. This is an okay solution except then the headrest is a bit too far back IMO. It's better than stock but a little far back. When I have some more time I will probably try the bending solution but for now I'm happier with the flipped headrest.

On a real note, have you tried to remove the head rest, and bend the 2 bars that are attached to it? I think there's a post (or two) in the forum showing how to do it.

I think we are going to try that before replacing the seats. I have seen a few videos on this, but it seems to be a bit more involved than I would have thought. I will have to watch a few YT videos and give it a shot. Thanks for the idea!

Reactions: SD_Engnr
I would try something like a pillow or aftermarket support before selling the car. First, see if comfort can be achieved at all, then worry about making it look nice.
Yes, we have been trying a bunch of different things. We found one that might be helpful, but only for shorter rides.

Also, to answer your question, yes, he loves the flat basic seats in our BMW i3. Ironically, he also likes those TERRIBLE cheat seats that Frontier Airlines uses. Weird!

I find Porsche 14-way or 18-way seats extremely comfortable.

LOL...yes it is.

This thread is based on subjective opinion.

I dont know anything about fancy Porsche seats. I had a cayman on 19s and that car felt rough. Drove different caymans for 9 yrs and when I was younger it was fun but as I got older that wore off. Very glad to be in a model 3.

I dont know anything about fancy Porsche seats. I had a cayman on 19s and that car felt rough. Drove different caymans for 9 yrs and when I was younger it was fun but as I got older that wore off. Very glad to be in a model 3.
I owned 2011 and 2014 Caymans. They both had 14-way seats. Loved the seats.

The cars are somewhat “rough” (I’d use firm). They’re sport cars after all.

Model 3 seats are relatively comfortable too. I do wish they had longer thigh support (like the Porsche seats), were slightly wider, and a less pronounced front edge bolster (as someone previously mentioned).

@AAG1 might be cheaper to replace two front seats instead of selling it. If you look at market forum, used model 3 go for around 20% off or so. Majority of those sales are lower end model 3 because owners got an itch and wanted model 3 performance. There is a lumber support that some missed out on using as it can move up and down. Good luck.

Seat comfort & support are too important to mess with aftermarket.

Sell the Model 3 and buy something else.

Ask Tesla for the trade-in value of your car using the VIN so you at least have a baseline number to compare. You might be pleasantly surprised by how much they offer.

Have you tried a Model S? The seats are considerable better than the Model 3's seats.

Meh, I found the S seats to be terribly uncomfortable.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tvad